EBay madness

Marcyg

11 hours ago, Bucoops said:

Or as near me a while back, in an underpass

image.png.b0aa2bd9866bb17905fb993ae3c9ce7d.png

Problem for the traffic warden - where to put a ticket for parking on the pavement ?

As the passageway has been fenced off by the police, he can't put it on the front the windscreen.

If he reaches over the fence to stick on the back window, is that valid?

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, Bucoops said:

Or as near me a while back, in an underpass

image.png.b0aa2bd9866bb17905fb993ae3c9ce7d.png

8 hours ago, Bucoops said:

Only if you're not trying to walk there!

No idea how they did it - it's 90 degrees (horizontally as well as vertically!) to the road.

I thought for a minute it was the underpass in front of Romford library which is very similar.  In that case it would appear that the driver lost control on the roundabout and went through the railings.

8 hours ago, Hroth said:

Or even.  Ouch!

Perhaps the buffoon had seen the old Top Gear where The Hamster winched himself in a Landrover up the face of a dam....

Those sort of stunts never work in Real Life!

There was an actual hamster!?

Edited by Paul H Vigor
to add information
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

I thought for a minute it was the underpass in front of Romford library which is very similar.  In that case it would appear that the driver lost control on the roundabout and went through the railings.

I think it was this one

image.png.69a09d8aa315476869993e8051909c0f.png

Ok, apparently 2014 is recent. I feel old lol

image.png.2a97a35a93ac3ee848607e8e232f68c5.png

Edited by Bucoops
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

3 minutes ago, vikingsmb said:

Just been looking at Bachmann wagons (1957-1966) for my 1967 layout to replace my triang stuff, strewth the prices are stupid.

Indeed they are! These days, modellers on a budget (model trains, or the gas bill) have to think, model - and buy - 'outside-the-box'!

• Like 5

5 hours ago, G-DIMB said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/256061003329

Apologies if this has already been posted but 0.99 for the pictures and i think at least 1 too many zeros. Suprised this has stayed up so long as i'm fairly certain it breaches ebay regulations.

Eighteen grand! Hahaha....

I think that we all have to realise that our layouts, especially if built into a room rather than semi portable are only worth what some interested party is prepared to offer, regardless of the cost of the components and time that went into building it.

• Like 1
  • Agree 6

1 hour ago, Paul H Vigor said:

Indeed they are! These days, modellers on a budget (model trains, or the gas bill) have to think, model - and buy - 'outside-the-box'!

Indeed they do. I'm glad in a way that I'm still rather old school and enjoy making, modifying and renovating railway items.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Round of applause 1

1 hour ago, MrWolf said:

Indeed they do. I'm glad in a way that I'm still rather old school and enjoy making, modifying and renovating railway items.

Imagine starting from scratch as a newbie modeller - with big ideas and a love of tech and gadgets!

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Paul H Vigor said:

May I refer fellow RMWebbers to the following thread, which is an attempt to “think outside the box” by improving a budget model using good old fashioned modelling!

My own attempts have not progressed to a photographable point, but others have already shown what might be achieved (and I’m hoping other examples might be added as inspiration and demonstrations of what can be done with a crappy Hornby budget model)

Steve S

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, vikingsmb said:

Just been looking at Bachmann wagons (1957-1966) for my 1967 layout to replace my triang stuff, strewth the prices are stupid.

If you need a 90 or 100 wagon mineral train, Stoke Gifford/Stafford/Toton/Peterborough-Acton/Willesden/Cricklewood/Ferme Park. you are looking at not far off £1800 or more with brake van and DCC sound-fitted loco (two of them for the Midland).  Not so bad for a BLT. 

Peco Parkside and Dapol Kitmaster replicate most of Bachmann's range between them, and Dapol do unpainted vans and wagons, which will bring the spending down a bit, but if you're using setrack they may not run well.  This is a rich man's hobby, my norse marauding friend!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

If you need a 90 or 100 wagon mineral train, Stoke Gifford/Stafford/Toton/Peterborough-Acton/Willesden/Cricklewood/Ferme Park. you are looking at not far off £1800 or more with brake van and DCC sound-fitted loco (two of them for the Midland).  Not so bad for a BLT. 

Peco Parkside and Dapol Kitmaster replicate most of Bachmann's range between them, and Dapol do unpainted vans and wagons, which will bring the spending down a bit, but if you're using setrack they may not run well.  This is a rich man's hobby, my norse marauding friend!

If you NEED a 100 wagon train, it doesn't matter how you do it, it's going to cost a lot of money. Only when you see the train rumbling past on the layout, can you decide if it was expensive. But if you have started a project that NEEDS that sort of train, you presumably have allocated the sort of fund to do it, or are hopelessly naive and in for a shock.

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

57 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

You know, it only dawned on me recently that 'BLT' had nothing to do with a sandwich! BLT = Branch Line Terminus? Where did all these funky modern names for specfic types of layout come from? 

• Friendly/supportive 1

52 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

If you NEED a 100 wagon train, it doesn't matter how you do it, it's going to cost a lot of money. Only when you see the train rumbling past on the layout, can you decide if it was expensive. But if you have started a project that NEEDS that sort of train, you presumably have allocated the sort of fund to do it, or are hopelessly naive and in for a shock.

Some new modellers seem to have VERY BIG ideas when it comes to layout planning and model wish lists. The planning/day dreaming phase is usually followed by pleading requests on this very site: 'Where can I buy X,Y or Z - but they've got to be cheap!'

• Like 3

1 hour ago, The Johnster said:

Sell our locos and rolling stock, and '... next year we'll all be millionaires!' There may be model railway 'gold diggers' out there - preditory individuals, women and men, employing carnal promises to get their grubby hands on our trains!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

It’s very much cutting your cloth, isn’t it.  Same as the rest of us, I used to dream of massive main line junctions with multi-track running, scale length trains at scale speeds on scale high speed curves, all that stuff…. BLTs, not enough running interest, what’s the point, yaddayaddayadda.  

1) no room for it

2) can’t afford it

3) need a team to operate it

Reality:-

1) I want to operate when I want to operate without relying on other people

2) There’s only one of me, and that’s probably one too many…

3) Need to keep wiring simple and can’t afford DCC

4) BLT actually much more interesting to operate than watching trains running around

5) Happy with my BLT. 

To the extent that a lottery win would mean only a rebuild of the layout to accommodate longer trains at the colliery, currently restricted to 9 anna van, and more plain line open country running.  This is my dream layout, operated in real time, as far as I can to the 1955 Rule Book.  There are locos and coaching stock I want but don’t need to work the WTT, and a lotto win would not need much more than about 30 or 40 more minerals (though with lotto money I’d relay in code 75 bullhead, convert to full DCC, and commission some professional scratch-built items).

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Hroth said:

and all the chisellers selling empty boxes (in good condition) on ebay!

..... though I am guilty of purchasing a couple, sorry 3, said empty boxes. (A Hornby mk3, a Bachmann class 37, and, a Bachmann class 108, if anyone was wondering.)

Though I still need boxes for a Wrenn class 08, Wrenn class 20 and a Heljan class 47.

Edited by PieGuyRob
To add more boxes.
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I keep my boxes, because I live in a rented flat and a day may come when my landlord moves me to another one or requires the premises for his own use, which would mean that he could evict me.  The previous one sold me as a sitting tenant to the current one, but before he did, he did a full renovation and refurbishment (of the flat, not me) (now that would be a challenge!), and moved me to the flat across the hallway for three weeks while the work was carried out.  This proved the wisdom of box-keeping, as the layout had to come down and the stock stored. 

The layout is designed to break down into three separate boards if it needs to, by slitting disck cutting across rails and hacksawing through the scenery.  Sounds brutal, but re-assembly was a matter of re-aligning the tracks, some relaying to eliminate damaged sections, and repairing the scenics, not difficult.

I do not sell my models, it'd be like selling my children.  I have given some away, and some have died on me, and been broken for spares.  Others have donated parts to projects, or been cut'n'shut into other things altogether. In the light of this, it is probably just as well that since my divorce I am no longer a parent in the sense of looking after offspring, though selling them on is not much better...

Edited by The Johnster
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

6 hours ago, The Johnster said:

yikes

luckily my diesels are lima/Hornby/silverfox on lima chassis, I got the money but I refuse to spend that much and it will never be 100 wagon train mate

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, The Johnster said:

I do not sell my models, it'd be like selling my children.  I have given some away, and some have died on me, and been broken for spares.  Others have donated parts to projects, or been cut'n'shut into other things altogether.

The models or your children?

Mike.

• Funny 4