RMweb

EBay madness

Marcyg

1 hour ago, MrWolf said:

Not exactly "Rusting American iron" are they? Rather nice in fact.

We can't all drive a Kia Yawn can we?

Photoshop, my dear boy!  🤪

(Why let reality stand in the way of a good jibe?)

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

Now, there’s something a little bit off, a bit odd, about this listing of a West Country 4-6-0 loco…

Is it that the box it is standing upon seems much, much bigger than the loco?

Is it the very nice little diorama stand it is sitting upon, which appears (from the description) to be included with the model?

Maybe it is the interesting fact that the seller makes absolutely no reference whatsoever in his description as to the running qualities of the model?

But seeing the name “Hornby” on the box, plus the fact that many (older) Hornby West Country locos sell for around £79 or so, would make an unwary buyer assume that this is a Hornby model, and quickly click on the Buy It Now button thinking they were snapping up a relative bargain.

I am not so unwary. I think I smell a rat! I’ve messaged the seller asking him directly how the loco runs (as he hasn’t mentioned that in his listing). I wonder if he will reply.

Meanwhile, might I ask the regular visitors here whether they think there’s something fishy about this listing?

Or maybe I am imagining it?

Perhaps I am suffering from eBay Madness?!!

HOURS OF FUN!

• Funny 4

• RMweb Gold

This made me chuckle........

Whilst perusing ebay, I alighted on this ad (I've edited the image by removing the sellers details ) 

Screenshot_20230715-200435_eBay-01.jpeg.fcd9583e52caa8c9067f72f22c4327e4.jpeg

I then scrolled down and saw this..........

Screenshot_20230715-200449_eBay.jpg.1fefb4b114bb1331bcb2094c3cda2839.jpg

Rob. 

• Funny 12

• RMweb Gold

Lack of fidelity on the buffers is also a giveaway.   The seller’s description that just repeats  “look at the photos” screams caveat emptor to me.

Cheers

Darius

Edited by Darius43
  • Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Just now, Darius43 said:

Lack of fidelity on the buffers is also a giveaway.   The seller’s description that just repeats  “look at the photos” says caveat emptor to me.

Cheers

Darius

Lack of fine detail all round, and an impression of slight warping along the body doesn't help. Probably resin cast rather than plaster.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

31 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Lack of fine detail all round, and an impression of slight warping along the body doesn't help. Probably resin cast rather than plaster.

I am gobsmacked that Hornby thought this a good idea, to license their name in this way! 

To me, the listing smells so fishy I have a strong urge to fry some chips* to go with it!

Steve S

* of the potato variety!!

• Like 3
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Hroth said:

It looks like an upmarket version of those coal-filled resin copies that are on offer in gifte shoppes.  And you can see how thick the cab sides (and roof) are!

58 minutes ago, Darius43 said:

Lack of fidelity on the buffers is also a giveaway.   The seller’s description that just repeats  “look at the photos” screams caveat emptor to me.

Cheers

Darius

54 minutes ago, Hroth said:

I presume you are all referring to the "Kimmi" doll?

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, SteveyDee68 said:

I am gobsmacked that Hornby thought this a good idea, to license their name in this way! 

To me, the listing smells so fishy I have a strong urge to fry some chips* to go with it!

Steve S

* of the potato variety!!

I'd be more than willing to bet my next pension that Hornby have done no such thing, and the seller has menaciously filled the form in as if they have.  He's a, hang on, what's the words I'm looking for, oh, yes, that's right, AN OUTRIGHT LIAR!!!  No doubt he will plead ignorance in good faith if he is called out on it, but it is worth noting his ID and blacklisting him for your future protection.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, The Johnster said:

I'd be more than willing to bet my next pension that Hornby have done no such thing, and the seller has menaciously filled the form in as if they have.  He's a, hang on, what's the words I'm looking for, oh, yes, that's right, AN OUTRIGHT LIAR!!!  No doubt he will plead ignorance in good faith if he is called out on it, but it is worth noting his ID and blacklisting him for your future protection.

Googling “Country Artists Steam Memories” gives you this.  They are genuine albeit rather strange things.

It appears that they were cast from original Hornby models by “Country Artists” and so Hornby probably licensed them - hence the Hornby logo.

Cheers

Darius

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

6 hours ago, Paul H Vigor said:

It does suggest that Kimmi and the 03 Shunter are : 'Frequently bought together'. Certainly an odd couple!

Neither are something I'd wish to be coupled with!

• Agree 3
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Darius43 said:

Googling “Country Artists Steam Memories” gives you this.  They are genuine albeit rather strange things.

It appears that they were cast from original Hornby models by “Country Artists” and so Hornby probably licensed them - hence the Hornby logo.

Cheers

Darius

That’s my next pension b*ggered, then.  Mendacious chiseller but not outright liar…

11 hours ago, SteveyDee68 said:

Now, there’s something a little bit off, a bit odd, about this listing of a West Country 4-6-0 loco…

Is it that the box it is standing upon seems much, much bigger than the loco?

Is it the very nice little diorama stand it is sitting upon, which appears (from the description) to be included with the model?

Maybe it is the interesting fact that the seller makes absolutely no reference whatsoever in his description as to the running qualities of the model?

But seeing the name “Hornby” on the box, plus the fact that many (older) Hornby West Country locos sell for around £79 or so, would make an unwary buyer assume that this is a Hornby model, and quickly click on the Buy It Now button thinking they were snapping up a relative bargain.

I am not so unwary. I think I smell a rat! I’ve messaged the seller asking him directly how the loco runs (as he hasn’t mentioned that in his listing). I wonder if he will reply.

Meanwhile, might I ask the regular visitors here whether they think there’s something fishy about this listing?

Or maybe I am imagining it?

Perhaps I am suffering from eBay Madness?!!

HOURS OF FUN!

"but is fully operational and functions as intended. "

As a paperweight, perhaps...

• Funny 7

2 hours ago, MarkC said:

"but is fully operational and functions as intended. "

As a paperweight, perhaps...

Having read the above quote, I’ve took another look at the item description.

Nowhere does he state that this is a static, non-working model.

It is listed as manufactured by “Hornby”, which is a name synonymous with model trains that actually move.

The description quoted above “fully operational” furthers the assumption that this is a working model.

When questioned directly (via Contact Seller) he does reply that it is a “statice” [sic] model, but he does not make that clear anywhere in his listing. In fact, I think the wording very carefully avoids any reference to it being either a static or working model. 

I am going to think the worst of him as a seller - ie that he is purposely hoping to sell this on to an unwary buyer and claiming that his listing doesn’t claim it is a working model anywhere.

In other words, a con artist. Or, as @The Johnster put it earlier, “an outright liar”. (As the seller states in all the written descriptions that the manufacturer is “Hornby” and it is only if you zoom in on the last photo that you see the name “Country Artists”, I think we can all agree that @The Johnster’s next pension payment should remain firmly in his own pocket!)

Have reported the listing to eBay - let’s see what happens! (Probably nothing whatsoever!)

GRUMBLE GRUMBLE GRUMBLE 😠

(Have woken up today with a growing intolerance towards mendacious eBay chisellers!)

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 3

• RMweb Gold
36 minutes ago, SteveyDee68 said:

It is listed as manufactured by “Hornby”, which is a name synonymous with model trains that actually move.

The description quoted above “fully operational” furthers the assumption that this is a working model.

When questioned directly (via Contact Seller) he does reply that it is a “statice” [sic] model, but he does not make that clear anywhere in his listing. In fact, I think the wording very carefully avoids any reference to it being either a static or working model. 

I am going to think the worst of him as a seller - ie that he is purposely hoping to sell this on to an unwary buyer and claiming that his listing doesn’t claim it is a working model anywhere.

In other words, a con artist. Or, as @The Johnster put it earlier, “an outright liar”. (As the seller states in all the written descriptions that the manufacturer is “Hornby” and it is only if you zoom in on the last photo that you see the name “Country Artists”, I think we can all agree that @The Johnster’s next pension payment should remain firmly in his own pocket!)

Have reported the listing to eBay - let’s see what happens! (Probably nothing whatsoever!)

(Have woken up today with a growing intolerance towards mendacious eBay chisellers!)

IMG_9175.jpeg.2e9ed974d9629f64acdbd1e2ef86b78c.jpeg

You seem to have a lot of unresolved anger…

• Funny 7

1 hour ago, SteveyDee68 said:

It reminds me of the folk who get caught out, paying large sums of money for a PICTURE of the latest xBox/iPhone...

PT Barnum would be proud...

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
51 minutes ago, MarkC said:

It reminds me of the folk who get caught out, paying large sums of money for a PICTURE of the latest xBox/iPhone...

PT Barnum would be proud...

An advert for an "Xbox box" was a common one.

• Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, SteveyDee68 said:

But seeing the name “Hornby” on the box, plus the fact that many (older) Hornby West Country locos sell for around £79 or so,

https://auctions.goldingyoung.com/lot-details/index/catalog/880/lot/550536/A-Country-Artists-for-Hornby-OO-gauge-Steam-Memories-Western-Star-loco

Hi. It looks like the market has decided the value of these static ( GBL alike) models. This Brit from the same series sold for a fiver (plus commision)

Regards, Rich

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, TinTracks said:

https://auctions.goldingyoung.com/lot-details/index/catalog/880/lot/550536/A-Country-Artists-for-Hornby-OO-gauge-Steam-Memories-Western-Star-loco

Hi. It looks like the market has decided the value of these static ( GBL alike) models. This Brit from the same series sold for a fiver (plus commision)

Regards, Rich

Sounds about right.

• Agree 6