EBay madness

Marcyg

1 hour ago, MrWolf said:

I wonder if it was professionally dropped on the floor too? 

It's amazing how many professionally built locomotives and rolling stock there seem to be out there with absolutely zero supporting evidence other than the seller's assertion and a ridiculous price tag. 

When I see such things I just think that they're a breedy gastard trying it on. They get all shouty in capitals and accuse you of not knowing what you're looking at if you call them out on it.

There's plenty of people on here who can make a very nice job of a locomotive kit that don't take on commissions and they're the tip of the iceberg.

Given the location of the damage, I suspect an undeclared death plunge may be highly likely. Might this be an abused, etched brass London Road Models kit?

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

49 minutes ago, hayfield said:

I must admit on the face of it the builder has made a very good job of building the loco, and whether the builder is a professional or not it has on the face of it been built very well, the missing tender spring is neither here or there as it can be replaced, but the damage to the cab side (and perhaps elsewhere)  in my opinion has devalued the kit by at least £200.

Given the price of the kit, wheels, motor and gearbox must be either side of £200 and I have no idea how much someone would charge to build and paint it, it is very sad to see such a nice loco in this state.   As for the seller it looks to be a business and the listing may have been made by an employee with little knowledge about the hobby. For me the value lies with the value of the spares which can be salvaged.  

I have just paid £78 for a damaged 0 gauge Sentinel steam shunter, with damage to one cab side and roof. I will probably replace the roof using the existing castings and hide the cab damage after straightening it with weathering.  Lets face it these locos would be damaged in later life anyway with the knocks of repeated use in service 

Inseed. Someone made a good job of the build. Etched brass, London Road? My issue was with the "NO APPARENT DEFECTS.” statement.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Paul H Vigor said:

It is also not from a London Road kit as claimed (they do the C Class 0-8-0) but probably from the Brassmasters kit. I have contacted the seller to that effect but didn't like to upset him about the other inaccuracies in his advert.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

3 hours ago, PieGuyRob said:

Has anyone noticed the con rods aren't level? It's the same on both sides.

If you look at the chassis shot, you can see that the rear axle is compensated, so its a bit droopy if not standing on its wheels.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 minute ago, Hroth said:

If you look at the chassis shot, you can see that the rear axle is compensated, so its a bit droopy if not standing on its wheels.

I suspect a few of us get a wee bit droopy when not standing on our wheels. I know I do! 😎

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
On 19/08/2023 at 06:42, goldfish said:

A tad optimistic I think. £125 for a cardboard box and a circle of 2' radius, raised third rail, steel and wood track.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/186040139692?

Not that rare and you can pick a complete set up for that price.

Does the fact that it's MODAL justify the price? 

• Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
  • RMweb Premium

I can only assume the first CAD of a proposed Z gauge 442 had some sort of issue when the AI system misheard the term 'Plastic Pig' and translated it literally....

Edited by John M Upton
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
  • RMweb Premium
  • RMweb Premium
  • RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

'Restored' it will get FIA papers as an original car and entry into the most exclusive race meetings. Or they could go the concourse route.

Either way it would sell for a lot more than it would cost to build a new one and have those 'spare parts' sold along with it. It's been an open secret for years that a lot of the top level historic race cars are clones with the original sat back at the owners storage facility.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

43 minutes ago, SR71 said:

'Restored' it will get FIA papers as an original car and entry into the most exclusive race meetings. Or they could go the concourse route.

Either way it would sell for a lot more than it would cost to build a new one and have those 'spare parts' sold along with it. It's been an open secret for years that a lot of the top level historic race cars are clones with the original sat back at the owners storage facility.

Yes, this story has run across several media sites without any of them caring to explain that the provenance is essentially what is being bought here - the motor car equivalent of a pedigree. 'Madness' it may be but in the rarefied world of car collecting it carries a hefty price premium.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2