EBay madness

Marcyg

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, The Johnster said:

Oh come on, there's only one real version, Jenny Agutter's, father coming out of the cloud of steam, 'daddy, my daddy!', lumps me up every time. 

13 hours ago, The Johnster said:

Oh come on, there's only one real version, Jenny Agutter's, father coming out of the cloud of steam, 'daddy, my daddy!', lumps me up every time. 

Although the earlier BBC version (featuring 'Joem' and 'Sir Berkeley' as opposed to 957 and 5775) also starred Jenny Agutter as Bobbie and was also shot on the KWVR. 

Edited by papagolfjuliet
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
On 24/10/2023 at 09:02, Tofufi said:

One of Gostude's latest offerings:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/335084806226

I know these are one of the rarest Tri-ang items, but even so... the condition isn't great and it isn't a complete set. It'll be interesting to see if it sells...

Well at least it's not "kit built".

Apparently the wheels need quartering,

I thought that only applied to wheels

linked by connecting rods???

Edited by rab
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 4

1 hour ago, Tofufi said:

One of Gostude's latest offerings:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/335084806226

I know these are one of the rarest Tri-ang items, but even so... the condition isn't great and it isn't a complete set. It'll be interesting to see if it sells...

Never seen one of those, rather pretty really for its age, even if only a collector might see its value at one and a half grand.

I assume that it could run off OHLE where available rather than the rails, but the pantograph on the dummy presumably does nothing.

I wouldn't say the condition was all that bad given that both pantographs appear intact, apart from its poor running (not unduly important to a collector?).  Absence of the box is probably more important to collectors.  Sorry, but I still can't get my head around collecting for its own sake.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Never seen one of those, rather pretty really for its age, even if only a collector might see its value at one and a half grand.

I assume that it could run off OHLE where available rather than the rails, but the pantograph on the dummy presumably does nothing.

I wouldn't say the condition was all that bad given that both pantographs appear intact, apart from its poor running (not unduly important to a collector?).  Absence of the box is probably more important to collectors.  Sorry, but I still can't get my head around collecting for its own sake.

For most collectors, I'd imagine the mis-matching colour (meaning it's part of two sets) would be a drawback too.

🙂

Edited by Tofufi
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

18 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

A lucky and rare find at the car boot for £30 or £1500 on eBay.

I'm pretty certain that Tri-ang did do some catenary, but whether it could be switched to a return power like some continental offerings I wouldn't like to say.

I do tend to collect things, but not obsessively, more just things I like. I'm not bothered about investment value or having absolutely everything and what do you do with something boxed? Hide it in a cupboard so that the printing doesn't fade? 

There's a theory that the value of many collectibles is only in the possession of something that others do not.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

24 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

There's a theory that the value of many collectibles is only in the possession of something that others do not.

You might also include the rule that "collectors" don't actually intend to use the item they so desire.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Tofufi said:

For most collectors, I'd imagine the mis-matching colour (meaning it's part of two sets) would be a drawback too.

🙂

If I remember right, they were available as separate items, rather than solely as a set of 3. The ones I've seen did have different colours, so I think they were a mismatch by the factory in mixing the plastic, rather than having faded.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

First post on this topic and I hope that this is allowed as it doesn't relate to a seller but ebay itself and the glorious Global Shipping programme.  

Being an ex-pat living in the US making a British outline model, I know that stuff that I get from the UK will cost more to ship, though lack of VAT usually offsets this.  I was looking to get a Peco 6ft way gauge and my first google search came up with one on ebay for only $2.42.  Shipping however, is a very "reasonable" $50.25 plus possible international charges!

6foot gauge.png

• Like 2
  • Funny 7

6 hours ago, Hroth said:

You might also include the rule that "collectors" don't actually intend to use the item they so desire.

No they don't and it's rather depressing when these items have a purpose. 

If I had a pound for every time I've been shown a glittering collection of vintage motorcycles and the owner has said one of the following: I don't ride them, they're an investment / my pension fund / too valuable / it's too dangerous etc etc.

I've said it before but you wouldn't marry ( insert name of fantasy girlfriend here) and then sleep on the couch, would you?

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

1 hour ago, zed said:

Being an ex-pat living in the US making a British outline model, I know that stuff that I get from the UK will cost more to ship, though lack of VAT usually offsets this.  I was looking to get a Peco 6ft way gauge and my first google search came up with one on ebay for only $2.42.  Shipping however, is a very "reasonable" $50.25 plus possible international charges!

Pretty much the same as buying something small over here from the US, and since Brexit, even postage from Europe seems to have risen disproportionately.  Ebay gives the impression they are trying to discourage international trade within the Western world, although postage from China seems to be so cheap it must be uneconomic, perhaps state-subsidised to promote their export trade.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Pretty much the same as buying something small over here from the US, and since Brexit, even postage from Europe seems to have risen disproportionately.  Ebay gives the impression they are trying to discourage international trade within the Western world, although postage from China seems to be so cheap it must be uneconomic, perhaps state-subsidised to promote their export trade.

Indeed that is the case, the Chinese government subsidizes exporters with low postage rates. That is why if an item is faulty they don't ask for it back and just send a replacement.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Also I've found if you allow offers then reject them, people will often then buy it at what you were asking in the first place. If you don't allow offers you get absolutely no interest.

I know that's daft but this is the general public we are talking about so you just have to run with what works!

edit: I seem to have skipped a page. this was in response to chat about offers being rejected.

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Years back I used to buy American car parts, getting them from the US was generally simple and unless the customs at this end were being awkward, you could basically assume that if you paid thirty dollars, by the time everything was settled it cost you thirty pounds. Not anymore. It was most irritating to have a £27 import charge slapped on an £11 pair of wiper blades. Strangely,  they never bothered with a £400 bumper that took two men to lift!

I often see British motorcycle parts on eBay USA, but the postage alone is a killer. Add to that paying VAT on 70 year old secondhand parts and import duties on items that were made in Britain in the first place!

As for China, nothing would surprise me.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, MrWolf said:

A lucky and rare find at the car boot for £30 or £1500 on eBay.

I'm pretty certain that Tri-ang did do some catenary, but whether it could be switched to a return power like some continental offerings I wouldn't like to say.

I do tend to collect things, but not obsessively, more just things I like. I'm not bothered about investment value or having absolutely everything and what do you do with something boxed? Hide it in a cupboard so that the printing doesn't fade? 

Note: Miss Riding Hood has the one and only Mr Wolf! 

• Funny 3

11 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Years back I used to buy American car parts, getting them from the US was generally simple and unless the customs at this end were being awkward, you could basically assume that if you paid thirty dollars, by the time everything was settled it cost you thirty pounds. Not anymore. It was most irritating to have a £27 import charge slapped on an £11 pair of wiper blades. Strangely,  they never bothered with a £400 bumper that took two men to lift!

I often see British motorcycle parts on eBay USA, but the postage alone is a killer. Add to that paying VAT on 70 year old secondhand parts and import duties on items that were made in Britain in the first place!

As for China, nothing would surprise me.

I thought second hand items were VAT exempt?

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, sandwich station said:

I thought second hand items were VAT exempt?

They're supposed to be, but it's something of a grey area with unused parts and import charges seem to be almost random I find.

Quite a number of UK car breakers started charging VAT on parts over twenty years ago when they were being forced to change the way they operated.

• Friendly/supportive 1