Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

EBay madness

Marcyg

1 hour ago, sandwich station said:

I thought second hand items were VAT exempt?

They're supposed to be, but it's something of a grey area with unused parts and import charges seem to be almost random I find.

Quite a number of UK car breakers started charging VAT on parts over twenty years ago when they were being forced to change the way they operated.

• Friendly/supportive 1

20 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

They're supposed to be, but it's something of a grey area with unused parts and import charges seem to be almost random I find.

Quite a number of UK car breakers started charging VAT on parts over twenty years ago when they were being forced to change the way they operated.

Quote from GOV.UK

"Imported goods: accounting for import VAT

These are normally charged at the same rate as if they had been supplied in the UK. But if you import works of art, antiques and collectors’ items they’re entitled to a reduced rate of VAT."

In simple terms a VAT registered company pays the HMRC VAT on the difference in value (price) between their purchase cost and selling price. Or at least that is how it when I ran a retail model business some decades ago.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

17 hours ago, zed said:

First post on this topic and I hope that this is allowed as it doesn't relate to a seller but ebay itself and the glorious Global Shipping programme.  

Being an ex-pat living in the US making a British outline model, I know that stuff that I get from the UK will cost more to ship, though lack of VAT usually offsets this.  I was looking to get a Peco 6ft way gauge and my first google search came up with one on ebay for only $2.42.  Shipping however, is a very "reasonable" $50.25 plus possible international charges!

6foot gauge.png

I really feel sorry for overseas buyers. I probably sold just under 10% of my stuff abroad. It was extra hassle and worry but as long as they asked me for a quote before bidding i didn't  mind doing it. Then you had the perfect storm of brexit and covid and the horror stories of  various countries customs being deliberately arsey with everything, and Ebay stepped in with their system probably due to them being too big for customs to mess around with unlike the personal user. Personally GSP has killed any overseas bidders for me but EBay know a lot of sellers like the fact that once you get it to the UK hub, it's becomes their problem getting it to the customer. I have noticed a  couple of overseas based buyers buying stuff off me but sending it to a UK address, so maybe thats a cheaper workaround if you know someone.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

I have had overseas buyers requesting not to go through GSP due to the cost.  Since GSP came in a seller choosing not to use it has to add international postage to the listing as an additional option, otherwise the system informs buyers that you don't sell overseas.  Although Customs, VAT and other charges are paid by the buyer, they may be cheaper on some items than the GSP price.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, petethemole said:

I have had overseas buyers requesting not to go through GSP due to the cost.  Since GSP came in a seller choosing not to use it has to add international postage to the listing as an additional option, otherwise the system informs buyers that you don't sell overseas.  Although Customs, VAT and other charges are paid by the buyer, they may be cheaper on some items than the GSP price.

One thing I discovered is if you use the app to list items and use the ‘sell similar’ option after the initial listing it will automatically put international postage via the GSP back on any subsequent listings even if you have clicked that you don’t send abroad on the first one

nearly been caught out by that a few times

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

49 minutes ago, Bucoops said:

Interesting description - I was interested, even though it a used item at new price, but not any more. Scarce or not...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/256270892680

"Don't bother wasting your time watching in case I dend out offers, that doesn't happen here." " It will get sold elsewhere." That's one way to attract potential customers. Makes you wonder where else he will sell it, and, if that is the case why bother with ebay.

In fact I'm going too watch it, just too wind him up!

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 3

2 minutes ago, PieGuyRob said:

"Don't bother wasting your time watching in case I dend out offers, that doesn't happen here." " It will get sold elsewhere." That's one way to attract potential customers. Makes you wonder where else he will sell it, and, if that is the case why bother with ebay.

Comes across as what an old friend called a "MizBaz" , which I'm sure you can work out is a miserable bas....

A little too much attitude methinks.

I bet he's a hoot at parties!

• Funny 6

10 hours ago, PieGuyRob said:

Seller sounds like 'Mr Nasty'!

• Like 3
  • Funny 1

On 25/10/2023 at 06:08, petethemole said:

I have noticed that a number of UK based sellers list the shipping using GSP but then in the item description they say "Contact us for cheaper shipping by not using GSP".  I choose these sellers all the time.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Hacksworth_Sidings said:

I can’t remember when I saw this listing, nor how much it went for, defo before 2023.

IMG_3952.png.e057e5bc3f84d42a9bb6e6301fef101e.png

HOW do you cause that much damage to a model!? This isn’t even to do with ludicrous prices, the sheer condition of the model alone isn’t even mad, it’s outright insane!

I'd put money on that having been retrieved by someone who works at a refuse depot, it's likely been through the shredder.

• Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, PieGuyRob said:

He's really lost the plot... https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/256253836234

"Professional Grader Me"

"These are highly sought after models in their own right and hard to find, advertised in used condition by some railway suppliers at over £40 each ... so to have unique ones for not much more can only be considered an absolute bargain"

25% more isn't "not much more" and when you look at selling history they go for £15 an up. It's the same graffiti transfers, just arranged differently as well 😅 not to mention the wagons are completely mint underneath the transfers - very much unlike the example prototype photos they have kindly included to highlight the difference...

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

I was also thinking that they looked rather clean for well tagged* coal wagons, though it is possible for brand new passenger trains to be smeared with graffiti** even before they have been delivered to their operators...

*Even if the taggers are remarkably unimaginitave!

** For example...

Graffiti.jpg.e70f79910e62a9283458645eec77aa59.jpg

Liverpool Echo

Edited by Hroth
Extra!
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Darius43 said:

Not so much weathered as…

…parked too close to the “Muckspreader of the Year” contest.

Cheers

Darius

To be fair to him, it's not a bad attempt at the condition of buses I remember seeing back in the day when they had been abandoned in the far corners of farmers yards, transport depots etc.

Mike.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Bucoops said:

"Professional Grader Me"

"These are highly sought after models in their own right and hard to find, advertised in used condition by some railway suppliers at over £40 each ... so to have unique ones for not much more can only be considered an absolute bargain"

25% more isn't "not much more" and when you look at selling history they go for £15 an up. It's the same graffiti transfers, just arranged differently as well 😅 not to mention the wagons are completely mint underneath the transfers - very much unlike the example prototype photos they have kindly included to highlight the difference...

Amusingly, despite claiming people shouldn't watch his items and that they will simply be removed after 30 days and sold elsewhere, my browser tells me the price for at least one of them has been reduced...

Capture2.JPG

• Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
42 minutes ago, Tofufi said:

Amusingly, despite claiming people shouldn't watch his items and that they will simply be removed after 30 days and sold elsewhere, my browser tells me the price for at least one of them has been reduced...

Capture2.JPG

Yup, I saw that too with a different one 😅

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

3 hours ago, Bucoops said:

"Professional Grader Me"

He has such a persuasive manner, coaxing you into a purchase and leaving you with a warm glow, feeling like he has gone above and beyond to satisfy your needs…

Not.

(As 80s teenagers used to say)

Extremely aggressive attitude - I’m surprised he makes any sales at all!

Seriously considering “watching” every one of his items, and asking a question about each one, just to wind him up! 🤭

HOURS OF FUN!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1