Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

EBay madness

Marcyg

2 hours ago, kevinlms said:

Wasn't there several royal trains (or part thereof) in 1934? Although I think the GWR started borrowing LMS coaches around that time.

Smart move, didn't want to get their nice clean coaches trashed again like they did during Edward VII's Coronation after party...

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Tricky when your family already has at least one full size train of their own.

I think that Phil had to rely on charm...

He was famous for his charming comments, about all sorts of ethnicities…

• Funny 6

11 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

Can't fault him, no prejudices, we don't like anyone...

That's the trouble with the world.

People.

Don't believe for a minute that the other lot are saints, they're saying the same thing about you.

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

6 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

He was a fine one to talk, being a bubble himself!

But I rather enjoyed his little remarks .. "Do you still throw spears at each other?"

"I have never been noticeably reticent about talking on subjects about which I know nothing."

• Funny 4

27 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

He was a fine one to talk, being a bubble himself!

But I rather enjoyed his little remarks .. "Do you still throw spears at each other?"

"I have never been noticeably reticent about talking on subjects about which I know nothing."

Although technically another Boche.

I'd just like to point out, lest any of you are getting the wrong impression, I've worked all over the world and there's only two kinds of people.

Those who would share their last slice of bread with you and those who would cut your throat to have yours as well.

• Like 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, The Johnster said:

But never famous for his tantrums, like his 2nd grandsons wife!

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, rab said:

Not railway related but this one made me smile:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Electrical-Press-Button-Switch-Metal/dp/B004H8ETJ4/ref=asc_df_B004H8ETJ4/?

I'd love to see what happened if you put 240 amps through it;

and apparently it can be wifi connected too

A smoking puddle I think?

And maybe they mean whiffy?

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

1 hour ago, rab said:

A brief flash, a clap of thunder and you'd probably melt your local distribution system...

You'd have a lot of 'splaining to do!

If you're still around to do so...

Edited by Hroth
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, rab said:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Electrical-Press-Button-Switch-Metal/dp/B004H8ETJ4/ref=asc_df_B004H8ETJ4/?

In theory all you should be switching would be a switch to live feed,  not live and neutral, this will be from a junction box so providing the terminals were done up tight it should work without going bang, its only when the termjnals are loose or worn that they start arcing and eventualy fail the circuit. .. however I would only ever use it for low volt max 24volt... but I have seen them fitted onto the end of bulkhead emergency lights to break the maintained supply thus turning on the battery back up side so they do work...

But I wouldn't fit them myself for that as that should be done through a key switch - not a fused spur

To clarify my point the body of the switch would be inside a fitting with just the locking threaded rose outside 

Edited by John Besley
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, rab said:

I think they're actually rated as 240v @ 2.5A, there's something rather similar in the shade of the Anglepoise lamp on my desk, its been there for more than 30 years and hasn't turned into a molten puddle.  Yet...

• Agree 3

There's an identical looking (but probably better made!) bakelite switch on a table lamp I have, which dates back to the mid fifties, still going strong after the wiring was replaced.

As for 240 Amps, someone definitely missed the decimal point, my welder only goes up to 180 and that's more than enough to stitch 8mm steel plate.

• Like 3

Mr. Vintagehoneypots has struck lucky with his piles of broken trains and random assortments of stock. I'm guessing the price on this lot is something to do with the Southern Hornby dublo tank tempting the collectors?

R@RE

Edited by Sjcm
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3

Certainly a ratty collection.  The 2-6-4 standard tank had certainly seen better days and most of the rolling stock wasn't much cop either. Before Hattons closed down, they had a number of "Southern" N2s around a more reasonable £30 mark, seeing as they were repaints. I expect the provenance of the one on offer was somewhat similar...

• Like 2

Browsing the 'bay for a copy of Stewart Joy's 1973 economic treatise on BR, this listing includes the most risible AI-generated cobblers I've seen yet. Yes, it's a book concerned with the railways but is an analysis of BR's economic performance from the 50s to the 70s and not "...a must-have for any train enthusiast....this book contains 160 pages filled with captivating information about trains....a fascinating insight into the world of trains, covering topics such as the history of locomotives, train designs, and the impact of trains on society. Whether you are a collector, historian, or simply a lover of trains, this book is sure to provide hours of reading pleasure."

If AI really is going to destroy society, it will presumably be by means of burying under a tidal wave of bullcrap!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/315037371225?itmmeta=01HQ6XSDA3MS3Q753FZ88468HP&hash=item4959b0cb59:g:2HIAAOSw6RBlfzxR&itmprp=enc%3AAQAIAAAA8I9yytHvKythbm9v6zrGpbjPn9SSu7WTCXQWUVeezLDxSlsV4VrSg0hM%2FahTPFPVLvjzKevbdDfGMVKrvV4Ulu0%2BTCNxSOVvqu8PXCmSmlpeRVCmj7lWyZe2mXDvZmjzveAXzvHFAtiTWdYBKx%2BGkH%2Fi6P6iiDKvEhNkyPG2fJHYfZB7WuQuULg3iFdHasKUE%2FBfoDByp1iNCxQaJUl9ra1IIDo2sTZA1nB1uYAM0NvJVywn2x2gp54M89r68tzPbz06DSql0UawXUTIoZXZl2TvW5%2ByRmx22%2Bm9iPd5pXSrgQcPytDLv9ym4Z03Lop%2BGw%3D%3D|tkp%3ABk9SR4zV5d25Yw

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

39 minutes ago, andyman7 said:

Browsing the 'bay for a copy of Stewart Joy's 1973 economic treatise on BR, this listing includes the most risible AI-generated cobblers I've seen yet. Yes, it's a book concerned with the railways but is an analysis of BR's economic performance from the 50s to the 70s and not "...a must-have for any train enthusiast....this book contains 160 pages filled with captivating information about trains....a fascinating insight into the world of trains, covering topics such as the history of locomotives, train designs, and the impact of trains on society. Whether you are a collector, historian, or simply a lover of trains, this book is sure to provide hours of reading pleasure."

If AI really is going to destroy society, it will presumably be by means of burying under a tidal wave of bullcrap!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/315037371225?itmmeta=01HQ6XSDA3MS3Q753FZ88468HP&hash=item4959b0cb59:g:2HIAAOSw6RBlfzxR&itmprp=enc%3AAQAIAAAA8I9yytHvKythbm9v6zrGpbjPn9SSu7WTCXQWUVeezLDxSlsV4VrSg0hM%2FahTPFPVLvjzKevbdDfGMVKrvV4Ulu0%2BTCNxSOVvqu8PXCmSmlpeRVCmj7lWyZe2mXDvZmjzveAXzvHFAtiTWdYBKx%2BGkH%2Fi6P6iiDKvEhNkyPG2fJHYfZB7WuQuULg3iFdHasKUE%2FBfoDByp1iNCxQaJUl9ra1IIDo2sTZA1nB1uYAM0NvJVywn2x2gp54M89r68tzPbz06DSql0UawXUTIoZXZl2TvW5%2ByRmx22%2Bm9iPd5pXSrgQcPytDLv9ym4Z03Lop%2BGw%3D%3D|tkp%3ABk9SR4zV5d25Yw

As the Bromsgrove Standard put it:

"What a load of bollards"...

Bollards3.jpg.4826d512b5ce1ebadae61fdf75cb7af0.jpg

• Like 1
  • Funny 11

6 hours ago, MrWolf said:

As the Bromsgrove Standard put it:

"What a load of bollards"...

Bollards3.jpg.4826d512b5ce1ebadae61fdf75cb7af0.jpg

Thats not just bollards, its "Waiting For The Bus", an installation in homage to Antony Gormleys "Another Place"...

• Like 1
  • Funny 3