RMweb

EBay madness

Marcyg

• RMweb Gold

I know we have the 'Hornby Bachmann Heljan Vitrains' brigade , but when did Fragonset have Baby Deltics on the books?

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item4162f42d2c

Am guessing he copied details from another listing of his and didn't spell check/proof read the final outcome. He's got several items with spelling mistakes (drives me MAD). However he did list a Heljan 33 in Fragonset BUT he's called it a Fragonset 21!!!! Would guess he copied this and couldn't be @rsed to check his work:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Heljan-21-decoder-fitted-fragonset-/280833040769?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item4162f42181

Absurdly it went for this in the end!.. http://www.ebay.co.u...=item2c632ad547 with the current MT price of £3.95. It defies logic.

It's possible that the seller made the same mistake as some of us and thought that the description meant eleven etched frets, when I think what it means is that the one fret includes enough parts for eleven locos. If so, he/she will be disappointed!

• RMweb Gold

Well it got a bid for 500 !

That doesn't just smell fishy but more like a whole fish market, 7 bids retracted in 6 months by the bidder! That's be nearly £50 to ebay! With the new model out these are worth very little. Proves Rmweb is a better place as I sold mine and coaches for a fraction of that last year. ;)

Edited by PaulRhB

Guest baldrick25

That doesn't just smell fishy but more like a whole fish market, 7 bids retracted in 6 months by the bidder! .....

and 100% bid activity with just tthat seller, very fishy indeed...NoTouchheeBargePole

• RMweb Gold

and 100% bid activity with just tthat seller, very fishy indeed...NoTouchheeBargePole

I don't see what is going on here. Is the seller getting that bidder to bid at the high price in the hope that someone will outbid? All very odd.

• RMweb Gold

I don't see what is going on here. Is the seller getting that bidder to bid at the high price in the hope that someone will outbid? All very odd.

Yes trying to prove it's really worth that, I think he's gone so OTT though that no-one will go anywhere near it anyway. I've reported it so they can see if a sudden retraction follows ;)

Edited by PaulRhB

• RMweb Gold

Yes trying to prove it's really worth that, I think he's gone so OTT though that no-one will go anywhere near it anyway. I've reported it so they can see if a sudden retraction follows ;)

Out of interest how exactly did you report it? There's a hint of shill bidding about this, but if you click on the 'report item' tab, you get led to more drop-down menus but none of the options are for shill bidding and nothing there allows you to enter plain text to say why you are reporting it. ie if your complaint doesn't fit their tick box culture they don't want to hear from you!

Edited for spelling :blush_mini:

Edited by Metr0Land

• RMweb Gold

Out of interest how exactly did you report it? There's a hint of shill bidding about this, but if you click on the 'report item' tab, you get led to more drop-down menus but none of the options are for shill bidding and nothing there allows you to enter plain text to say why you are reporting it. ie if your complaint doesn't fit their tick box culture they don't want to hear from you!

All absolutely frustrating, it's as you say there is no way to contact them to complain or otherwise other than using those damned tick boxes. It would seem to me that they're happy to let this sort of thing happen as they must know that people need to contact them to complain about obvious transgressions but it would be too much bother for them, or am I too cynical?

It would be very useful if anybody knows how this can be overcome.

• RMweb Gold

All absolutely frustrating, it's as you say there is no way to contact them to complain or otherwise other than using those damned tick boxes. It would seem to me that they're happy to let this sort of thing happen as they must know that people need to contact them to complain about obvious transgressions but it would be too much bother for them, or am I too cynical?

It would be very useful if anybody knows how this can be overcome.

Thanks I suspected this was the case but wasn't sure if there was any other way of alerting them to possible shill activity.

I recall an occasion some years back when I found a way to send them a general message alerting them to a suspect item. The response I got was surprise surprise a pre-formatted email telling me what a shill bid is, and directing me to the relevant Ebay rule. The word idiots doesn't even start to decribe them......

Guest baldrick25

Out of interest how exactly did you report it?

Edited for spelling :blush_mini:

Try clcking " REPORT ITEM"

Then select " FRAUDULENT LISTINGS....... (etc)"

Then in the 'detailed reason' box select "Seller is using other accounts to inflate item price ( shill bidding)"

Then add any extra information in the 'additional details' box that opens, like bid history, bid withdrawls etc.

As to whether the message will end up in the Ebay waste bin I couldn't possibly comment on!

Edited by baldrick25
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I can't find any way to report people who either say "No paypal" or who offer a discount to people who pay by some other means.

Go for ticking the not following the rules box ;)

The plain text detail for you to put in your comments is in the third page of the report process. As Baldrick says just follow it through and you've alerted them. They are unlikely to comment much due to the legal issues of libel etc. I pointed out the pattern on their own system so it leaves it to them to investigate the apparent association we saw.

To be honest if you do your price research and decide what is the maximum you are prepared to pay then you can ignore such sales when they go silly. If someone else gets carried away and is prepared to pay inflated prices then good luck to them. It may inflate prices for a bit but they come back down again.

I saw a Lima bullet train go for 127, nearly three times what I paid a week before but the subsequent two have dropped back to reasonable prices. Hornby live steam rockets are also going a bit daft at present, mine including a coach, cost less than some of the BIN prices at present, you just have to be patient and wait fir the crash ;)

At least that is a Wrenn box, but somebody bid down the Guy below from £15.00 to £10.00 for a Bachmann class 20 box """Bloody Bargain""""

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EMPTY-BOX-FOR-Bachmann-32-035-class-20-Diesel-20164-/290677477403?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item43adba501b#ht_500wt_1415