Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

EBay madness

Marcyg

• RMweb Premium

Those over priced Fastline locos (a 66 retrofitted with sound and a 56) are back now as one lot at an eyewateringly over ambitious price:

http://www.ebay.co.u...836626470798578

Yikes...

Massive Yikes

Some people have no idea what stuff is worth sadly. I would have thought buying a Bachmann Sound 66 and getting it repainted would be the easiest method? and a whole lot cheaper.

Chris

*** INTERNATIONAL BIDDERS WELCOME ***

"International bidders welcome" Is that some sort of code for overseas bidders who are likely to be fooled into thinking these are truly rare are mugs and easily taken in?

Something like this, in loud neon letters shouts "tourist trap" to me. Always best to avoid those!

Sierd Jan

That's a very... eclectic collection. Hard to tell if it's worth £9000 without a proper inventory though. My guess is that it probably isn't - a lot of people think to seem that just because it's in a box despite being second hand and 'played with' it's still worth as much as if it was bought brand new in a shop at full rrp today.

Not seen one of these before:

http://www.ebay.co.u...#ht_7115wt_1341

In Canada at least, and presumably elsewhere in North America, railway-grade watches had no stem; they were adjusted (and wound?) only by officially registered jewellers, who would check the time against a master clock and make any necessary adjustments with tweezers directly on the hands. The use of them was (still is, indeed) strictly regulated in the operating rules.

Those intended for service in areas crossing time-zones had two hour hands, one for each zone.

• RMweb Gold

John, I find that an interesting piece of information. It shows just how regulated things were in the past and that the importance attached to having an accurate timepiece was such that employees could not even wind it up without going to the registered jeweller.

It also explains this comment from the listing which I found rather amusing:

The winder is missing from the watch but the movement does seem to work when you shake it

"You can always add it to your "watch list""

vg :no:

John: Thanks for that - interesting.

However, I don't quite understand that, pre-digital, how it would work.

A trip three times a week to the jewellers to get the watch wound doesn't sound right.

Altering the hands to present the correct time seems short sighted too - why not use the regulator?

Please note that my queries are very well founded in ignorance!

• RMweb Gold

"You can always add it to your "watch list""

vg :no:

John: Thanks for that - interesting.

However, I don't quite understand that, pre-digital, how it would work.

A trip three times a week to the jewellers to get the watch wound doesn't sound right.

Altering the hands to present the correct time seems short sighted too - why not use the regulator?

Please note that my queries are very well founded in ignorance!

Thank goodness we did it a different way in Britain - but of course here railway watches, although required to be accurate, weren't as much a part of the 'signalling system' as they were in North America (and in Britain signalbox clocks were checked against a daily time signal).

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 1

There would be a registered watch-regulator at every division point, and every watch would be brought in on a very regular basis for winding, regulating and any other work that needed doing.

I used to know the very nice chap who did this at Weyburn in Saskatchewan; like many people who do fine work he had enormous, podgy hands. CP watches crossed his counter on a daily basis - other customers just had to wait - and hardly ever did they need changing by more than a second or two.

As has been observed, in much of North America the railwayman's watch is an important part of the train control system, and the possibilities of calamity if - for instance - someone let one run down and then reset it inaccurately - would be far to great to accept.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JOB-LOT-OFF-OO-GAUGE-COACH-KITS-AND-PARTS-MUST-BROUGHT-SEEN-SEE-PHOTO-/110845760531?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item19ceec1413

maybe madness but maybe not, just the way it is written makes me very suspicious, never mind the vendors name, anyone shed some light to it?

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item19ceec1413

maybe madness but maybe not, just the way it is written makes me very suspicious, never mind the vendors name, anyone shed some light to it?

I think this is another re-incarnation of a certain "MR Ray M..........D" !!!! I may be wrong, but I would go to Paddy Power and slap a £5.00 bet on it.

• Like 1

I tend to look at this type of lot with sketchy info. They can be gems and quite onormally start at very low prices (99p) as the sellers have no idea of what they are worth. I saw this and quickly moved on,

I think with this one the starting price confirms that all is not what it seems. For £75 I would want not only a clear photo of all that is on offer but also a full description

• Like 1

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item19ceec1413

I think the vendor's ID is definitely the giveaway here. We can all occasionally type "brought" when we mean "bought", I guess, but to do it several times, in bold type, and in red as well, just highlights Gary's illiteracy. Simple tip, Gary - if you don't wish to prove that you're a tool, try to learn the difference between "of" and "off", and realise that "apper" isn't a real word. And lose the huge shouty text.

This item contains all the things that would put me off even contemplating bidding. As for "THIS SET ALL INCLUDES A BR TAVERN CAR SEE PHOTO", I'm mystified, frankly.

EDITED, ironically enough, for lousy typing.

Edited by Steve K