Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

EBay madness

Marcyg

• RMweb Premium

This is the question-

Dear df_501,

You class this item as "brand new" but yet your listing says that both have been run and 1 has the detail pack opened, can you please explain how this is "brand new" in the true sense of the words!

-XXXXXX

and this is the reply I got-

Dear XXXXXX,

There " New " too me so thats all that matters,and any collector or train buff would agree,thanks for looking,how many you got?

- df_501

I see the "new condition" has been removed and now listed as "test run only"

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 2

"Very reluctant to let go, but at the price i've set i think its fair. Especially when we all loss up to 15% to fees for ebay and paypal."

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item256f7c4e97

Bless him.

Joke price really. Currently a whole rake of Midland Mainline Mark 3s are going for £41 Or other FGW Mark 3s at less then £20 but those are not the TSO's though.

Chris

Utterly crazy, £850 for two locos worth around £300-350. And as for the mk3 guy, I think I'd rather break it over his head than pay anywhere near that for it! They must be tying it on, nobody is that stupid. .

An RTC Bachmann/Modelzone mint cond 'Ixion' recently fetched £250, but that's understandable.

Well someone paid £72 for the same coach last week so it's not a totally unfounded price. As for the £850 - I really hope no-one is that naive to pay that much - you could have a normal 56 renumbered, repainted, fitted with sound and detailed all professionally for considerably less than £425.

We cant always have things in quite the way we want them and I think with ebay its all about a bit of give and take.

Why bother blowing a gasket if somebody sells an item for more than we would have been willing to pay? Another model will be just around the corner perhaps for a 5th of the price.......

So what if some of the sellers regularly seem to take the Michael? A few "Delboys" are not going to rock the used model railway boat.

You begin to see trends on some items if you are an avid buyer/watcher and the prices being fetched can fluctuate wildly from one end of the year to the other and like most trends they come and go. Ive seen some coaches fetch £15-20 then 6 months later you see a flurry of them fetching crazy prices of £60, 70. Weve all seen the fag packet Mk3 buffets selling for over £150 but blink and the next one might be back down to £20. Some of the "Rodneys" with similar items in theor possession probably home in and put up high BIN or starting prices. I couldnt care less what they want to sell them for - its their models to sell and if everyone had the same view that the prices were unreasonable they wouldnt keep selling them like they are now.

I think its less the "aforementioned "Dels and Rodneys" who have a problem and would suggest its more the envy of those that dont own the very models that are fetching the high prices.

Sometimes I sell an item and lose a considerable sum (I dont bother setting reserves to save me in fees and that encourages bidding) and sure it can be disheartening but then on a good day you might auction off something pretty rare and get really strong money for it.

HI

When I started my layout I saw on Feabay an LSWR water crane made by Gem, I placed a bid on it of around £4.00 and left it at that, the next day I has a look to see if I had won it.

NO it had gone for £17.90....Someone had paid well over the odds for it, as you could get it for £5.95 new!.

Darren

We cant always have things in quite the way we want them and I think with ebay its all about a bit of give and take.

Why bother blowing a gasket if somebody sells an item for more than we would have been willing to pay? Another model will be just around the corner perhaps for a 5th of the price.......

So what if some of the sellers regularly seem to take the Michael? A few "Delboys" are not going to rock the used model railway boat.

You begin to see trends on some items if you are an avid buyer/watcher and the prices being fetched can fluctuate wildly from one end of the year to the other and like most trends they come and go. Ive seen some coaches fetch £15-20 then 6 months later you see a flurry of them fetching crazy prices of £60, 70. Weve all seen the fag packet Mk3 buffets selling for over £150 but blink and the next one might be back down to £20. Some of the "Rodneys" with similar items in theor possession probably home in and put up high BIN or starting prices. I couldnt care less what they want to sell them for - its their models to sell and if everyone had the same view that the prices were unreasonable they wouldnt keep selling them like they are now.

I think its less the "aforementioned "Dels and Rodneys" who have a problem and would suggest its more the envy of those that dont own the very models that are fetching the high prices.

Sometimes I sell an item and lose a considerable sum (I dont bother setting reserves to save me in fees and that encourages bidding) and sure it can be disheartening but then on a good day you might auction off something pretty rare and get really strong money for it.

HI

When I started my layout I saw on Feabay an LSWR water crane made by Gem, I placed a bid on it of around £4.00 and left it at that, the next day I has a look to see if I had won it.

NO it had gone for £17.90....Someone had paid well over the odds for it, as you could get it for £5.95 new!.

Darren

While I largely agree with ThaneofFife, Darren has identified an surprising trend, the willingness of some buyers to pay well over the odds for an item that is still currently available.

Should we put this down to ignorance of what is available from manufacturers/retailers or to stupidity and "auction greed"? An internet search will usually turn up what is still available, but I guess if you are stupid/greedy then you will sometimes pay well over the odds. That's what keeps ebay going, some people looking for a bargain and some looking for a profit. Unfortunately that will always attract the greedy and the unscrupulous.

While I largely agree with ThaneofFife, Darren has identified an surprising trend, the willingness of some buyers to pay well over the odds for an item that is still currently available.

It can only be stupidity and greed - A few years ago I put on some unboxed second hand Peco box wagons starting at £1.50 each, which you could walk into almost any model shop at the time and buy brand new boxed for £4.95 each. They sold for an average £8 each. I couldn't figure it out.

Just remember that not everyone has access to model shops and not everyone that buys on eBay is buying for themselves. And never every company/person will ship anywhere in the world.

Edited by thebritfarmer

I rarely buy on ebay these days, and usually only cheap end items like Hornby Dublo signals, accesories etc. However a while ago I saw a nice Tri-ang green 2.6.2 tank loco, one I'd been looking for a while for my collection. I bid £25 & won - great, the address was seen as the Falls Road area of Belfast - uh-oh !!. Anyway sent the cheque (eBay madness !!!!!!!!!), and a few days later a worried looking postman was at the door "Parcel from Belfast", carefully handing it to me. I needn't have worried as this loco was almost new, in original box with paperwork etc. Quick service and it ran superb. Gave the sender top feedback.

Brit15

• RMweb Gold

I rarely buy on ebay these days, and usually only cheap end items like Hornby Dublo signals, accesories etc. However a while ago I saw a nice Tri-ang green 2.6.2 tank loco, one I'd been looking for a while for my collection. I bid £25 & won - great, the address was seen as the Falls Road area of Belfast - uh-oh !!. Anyway sent the cheque (eBay madness !!!!!!!!!), and a few days later a worried looking postman was at the door "Parcel from Belfast", carefully handing it to me. I needn't have worried as this loco was almost new, in original box with paperwork etc. Quick service and it ran superb. Gave the sender top feedback.

Brit15

Seriously? You are aware of something called 'the peace process', right?

• Like 1

Well, at least it didn't end up in pieces. I can see how the idea might have "bombed" though.

Yes, well aware, and an excellent job seems to being done on all fronts, bar a few recent hiccups. Though the Falls Road area had a reputation, and years ago I would have been a lot more wary. I posted the cheque in good faith, and in good faith the guy delivered the article promplly, and better than described. I posted this tale to let people know how things have improved, even though the "image" remains, though time, hopefully will sort this. No disrespect in any way meant.

Brit15

• RMweb Premium

This one's been around for quite a while now, perhaps a tad overpriced? Non-railway related item. The free delivery is a nice touch! From the postings made in the thread regarding compensation for loss in post being limited to the original value not the auction value, would the recompense on this item if lost be only 30p?

• RMweb Gold

This one's been around for quite a while now, perhaps a tad overpriced? Non-railway related item. The free delivery is a nice touch! From the postings made in the thread regarding compensation for loss in post being limited to the original value not the auction value, would the recompense on this item if lost be only 30p?

For a few pence shy of £100k shouldn't we expect something better than 6-8 working days delivery, even if it is free?

• RMweb Gold

Brit15

I don't want to go political, but that is a bit of prejudiced sterotyping that might have been understandable 20 to 40 years ago. Reminds me of a joke at the time though. Want to play a really fast game? Try "pass the parcel" in a Belfast pub

• Like 2

I regularly buy & sell on E bay & have encountered very few problems.I have sold items for less than I expected on occasions but other times I got more than I expected to get.Thats the way of auction sites.

My one problem with sellers on E bay is postage. Its not hard to find out postage costs to various countries based on weight. I'm sure you can get a price list in all post offices showing what the costs are. Apart from one particular seller who we are all familiar with I have seen sellers charge the same postage to Ireland & the other side of the world.

When I see an item I would like I work out what it is worth to me & bid accordingly. If it goes higher then that I leave it alone.What someone is prepared to pay for an item is purely down to the buyer whether they are experienced or just beginning.I just wish people would put in a little more effort when selling their items.Give proper descriptions & be a bit more realistic in their price expectations & work out the postage costs properly.Its not rocket science.

• Like 2

I regularly buy & sell on E bay & have encountered very few problems.I have sold items for less than I expected on occasions but other times I got more than I expected to get.Thats the way of auction sites.

My one problem with sellers on E bay is postage. Its not hard to find out postage costs to various countries based on weight. I'm sure you can get a price list in all post offices showing what the costs are. Apart from one particular seller who we are all familiar with I have seen sellers charge the same postage to Ireland & the other side of the world.

When I see an item I would like I work out what it is worth to me & bid accordingly. If it goes higher then that I leave it alone.What someone is prepared to pay for an item is purely down to the buyer whether they are experienced or just beginning.I just wish people would put in a little more effort when selling their items.Give proper descriptions & be a bit more realistic in their price expectations & work out the postage costs properly.Its not rocket science.

Hi Tony, I to do a lot of trading on ebay, and finding the postage cost is even easier than going to the Post Office for a list, all the prices are on the Royal Mail website.

"or use Hattons website for a weight check cheat"

Unfortunately ebay does have its Postal "Profiteers" - Gostude springs to mind....

Edited by muddys-blues