EBay madness

Marcyg

• RMweb Premium

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bachmann-32-979X-limited-edition-GBRf-class-66-66722-Sir-Edward-Watkin-/160800856690?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item25707a5a72

This is a limited edition locomotive that is no longer available.

Not according to the Model Rail website....

http://www.modelrailoffers.co.uk/product/34469/32979X_MR_Bachmann_Class_66_Diesel_Locomotive_number_66_722

And for £89.99 post free. (And far less than that if you see the MR stand at an exhibition!)

Another fine example of bidders not looking at the real wide world out there.

Cheers,

Mick

I suspect that someone here seems to think they're bidding for an Olympic torch while in fact they're only going to get a photograph of one.....

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item2c658011d0

Current bid £620....

DT

This is mental. . what the heck. . . Someone is going to get seriously taken to the cleaners if they pay this guy.

• RMweb Premium

Due to public dismay at the fact that some torch bearers are trying to profiteer from the post (and why not, one might ask, isn't that what the modern Olympics are now all about?), it appears that many of these Olympic torches have been attracting hoax bids and it seems likely that that is the case here. Having said that, the winning bidder has a feedback rating of 139 so unless his identity has been hijacked I don't understand how he (or she) gets out of it.

DT

It is rather misleading as the heading does not mention 'photo'.

It is a ridiculous price, however, even for the real thing! There are apparently 8000 of them (and probably some spares somewhere), so not even rare. They apparently cost £495 each to make! :O

It is rather misleading as the heading does not mention 'photo'.

Maybe so, but if I were going to bid a 6 figure sum I'd at least take the trouble to read the description!

Before more comments about selling the Olympic torches,(not photographs), the first torch sold was to raise money for Charity, and Ebay are not accepting private sales for the moment. If it does not mention a charity and registered number etc, then it is possibly a scam.

I did check, the Ebay Olympic Torch sales proceeds are due to go to " Invictus Trust, which support teenagers with mental health issues in Cornwall. Apparently the bearers can buy the torches anyway, and after paying for them, they are entitled to sell them at any time. Several other people are putting the Torches up for charity sales.

Maybe so, but if I were going to bid a 6 figure sum I'd at least take the trouble to read the description!

I'd want to actually see and handle an item long before bidding a sum well below six figures! and "read the description" goes without saying even for 99p! :no:

...and sad ....... these people who were chosen to run with one seem to care so little about it or are just plain greedy. There would have been thousands of people who'd love to have been able to run with one and been able to keep it....despite what you might think about the olympics, I think that it's just plain disrespectful....but that's just my opinion.

The whole thing's built on greed, anyway, so this is entirely appropriate.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

What prompted this is that, at some point long-forgotten, I must have contributed to the 'Ebay Madness' thread - serves me right !!

This thread, for some inconceivable reason, is always near the top of the list - and generally 'gets in the way', much to my annoyance!

We all know that there are a lot of people with more money than sense - but do we really need to keep cluttering this group with yet more incredulous comment?

I know - ignore it; I'd just like to not have it thrust in my face in 'My Content' every time.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Sorry John. Could not resist, but this post is for you. :jester:

• Like 2

Another one of those dreadfully misleading (perhaps intentional>) items.

I know it should be buyer beware, and read the details which I' pretty sure the highest bidder hasn't. Vut the main picture is not what is on offer and the item can be obtained from several standard suppliers for less than £20.