RMweb

EBay madness

Marcyg

It isn't just model railways that go for silly prices. With my other hat on I have been trying for some time now to acquire some extra Lego road baseboards, specifically the proper light grey ones from the 1980's. EVERY SINGLE lot that has been listed on Ebay in the last few months has been snapped up by the same bidder (you can tell by the feedback number, same every time) using a snipe program in the last five seconds, he must have hundreds of them now.

Now tonight this guy's ruse is revealed as a seller is now offering quantities of them Buy It Now at vastly inflated prices and it is the same chap as the feedback number is identical. Clever stuff, buy every last one you can lay your hands on (thereby artifically inflating the market price for them) and then sell them again netting a mint in profit!!

(You may tell I am a tad miffed at this guy, unfortunately because I need a couple I have had to give in and buy three from him!!)

I think you have rather neatly described the basic principles of Capitalism! lol! (QED)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Gents,

Looks like London 2012 stock is now a rarity (even though with the right code it's 50% off on the Hornby site).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hornby-LIMITED-EDITION-LONDON-2012-OLYMPICS-R1148-OO-GAUGE-TRAIN-SET-NEW-/360477650573?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item53ee246e8d

Buy it now for 295 quid!

Steve.

Even my local ModelZone had it discounted yesterday.

Says a lot.

• RMweb Premium

In medieval times this was an offence known as engrossing (buying up large quantities with intent to sell them again) although I believe it only applied to food and agricultural produce. Unfortunately the laws against it were repealed in 1844. That, along with the offences of forestalling and regrating, seem to be basic practices of modern capitalism. Is the guy doing the same with other Lego items?

Pete

Edited by petethemole
  • Like 2

Regrating - for those who don't know! - was the formerly illegal practice of buying corn at a market and then reselling it within four miles of the same market - which would inevitably raise the price as a profit would be sought on each new transaction.

It would presumably if enforced nowadays prevent folks from selling on eBay anything that they'd originally bought there....

Im gonna give up with ebay, i never win anything. Prob cos i bid what i think is a realistic price and then stuff sells for more than its worth. Usually used items sell for about the same as a certain dealer offers on their website/shop for new items. And anything that a certain sheffield based shop puts on there seems to go for daft money......

or is it just me.

Im gonna give up with ebay, i never win anything. Prob cos i bid what i think is a realistic price and then stuff sells for more than its worth. Usually used items sell for about the same as a certain dealer offers on their website/shop for new items. And anything that a certain sheffield based shop puts on there seems to go for daft money......

or is it just me.

Carl,

I was watching Toplights for a while. Already had some but wanted more.

I came close to selling mine on ebay so I could buy 2.

They are still available, yet someone was paying 80 odd GBP while curent price is in the 40's

Persevere, you will find you can buy well BUT always double check if it is available currently and how much.

Khris

Regrating - for those who don't know! - was the formerly illegal practice of buying corn at a market and then reselling it within four miles of the same market - which would inevitably raise the price as a profit would be sought on each new transaction.

Only seems to worry the powers that be nowadays if they are tickets to the olympics.

Keith

• Like 2

or is it just me.

I've lost out a few times, yet had some cracking bargains too. Sometimes what you think is a silly, low bid wins. Just persevere - remember, if you're not in it, you can't win it... :sungum:

Mark

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

One for the 'reverse madness' if you see what I mean. This had no bids on it until 2 secs before the end (possible a snipe program but that's neither here nor there on this one). Not my area/era but I would have said this was a reasonable bargain at £67.50 incl p/p?

http://www.ebay.co.u...984.m1423.l2649

Edited by Metr0Land

• RMweb Premium

If you are consistently outbid on certain items I would suggest you may be undervaluing them, and the current going rate is more than you think they are worth. I have been outbid several times recently, including today, on kit-built Nu-cast GWR 1361 class locos. They go for only a few quid more than i feel I want to pay, but are clearly worth that bit extra, and I'm going to have to bite the bullet and bid a bit higher, as Weymouth in the 30s needs one! Or I buy the kit and have a go at extending my skills

Pete

I've noticed this ebay seller for a couple of months now and the prices seem (almost vertical!)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Hornby-R2792X-Class-153-DMU-153374-East-Midlands-Trains-DCC-Fitted-TL55-/251145184305?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item3a796b6431

£92 for a Hornby 153?

Quoted from the listing, "You will not find us to be the cheapest on ebay."

No, you're right!

I've noticed this ebay seller for a couple of months now and the prices seem (almost vertical!)

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item3a796b6431

£92 for a Hornby 153?

No, you're right!

But it includes a parrot, according to the photos, so is probably a bargain!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item3a796b6431

£92 for a Hornby 153?

No, you're right!

Generally sold out but one here for £74: http://www.newmodellersshop.co.uk/diesel_electric_locomotive/r2792x_east_midlands_trains_diesel_class_153.htm

Keith