RMweb

EBay madness

Marcyg

• RMweb Gold

And the condition report is: 

Condition:
New: A brand-new, unused, unopened and undamaged item. See the seller's listing for full details.

Even though it is definitely damaged, deliberately, and is not even supplied in the original box, was that for sale separately?

Keith

:O

They really wanted it too.6 bids out of the 15 and a 40% bid activity with TMC.Takes all sorts thats for sure.He could have reserved a brand new Lode Star from Steam for that price !

• RMweb Premium

More professional weathering.  I just can't seem to get these details right myself.  I always seem to end up with cement wagons being mainly white with a few oily/muddy bits.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dapol-wrenn-Bachmann-presflo-blue-circle-cement-wagons-professionally-weathered-/330861446993?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item4d08e10751

I need to meet the professional - done such a good job the seller can't say what the basis for each one is(!)

• Like 1

£21.01 - I think someone has got a little bit over excited with this Hornby Railroad crane: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200877740233?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1426.l2649

Well look at the under bidder and see s/he has bided 100% with this seller with a total 178 bids in the last 30 days and a feed back of 0%. I smell a rat and I hope the top bidder dose as well.

• Like 1

Well look at the under bidder and see s/he has bided 100% with this seller with a total 178 bids in the last 30 days and a feed back of 0%. I smell a rat and I hope the top bidder dose as well.

Hi Industrial, how did you find that info? Just noticed the numerous £1 increments that the under-bidder has placed.

Hi Industrial, how did you find that info? Just noticed the numerous £1 increments that the under-bidder has placed.

Easy click on the bidders name (left hand column) in this case 1***o and this information comes up. This is the reason a lot of people don't like the private listing as this information is hid. The top bidder has only put in one bid this month, but sometimes somebody looking at my information would find the same.

I've noticed that a lot of the stuff Rails post on ebay goes for a silly amount. 

Ah, but just look at the P&P charges, at least you don't get ripped off there. Most items have a low start price as well. Also they have a pretty good reputation for describing the items as they actually are. I think they are seen as the Hattons of the ebay world.

Trying to look for the innocent - perhaps new to ebay and doesn't know how it works. Wishes to buy from a reputable seller (see above post). Thinks it is all a big game (like bingo). At that number of bids on an item 179 bids doesn't work out as many items.

Oh alright, decomposing rodent.

Ah, but just look at the P&P charges, at least you don't get ripped off there. Most items have a low start price as well. Also they have a pretty good reputation for describing the items as they actually are. I think they are seen as the Hattons of the ebay world.

Yes but I have yet to see anything from that seller go for less than you might get it elsewhere.

Is it all down to reputation ?

Yes but I have yet to see anything from that seller go for less than you might get it elsewhere.

Ok so one buyer has only bid from one seller. But that seller has 5,522 pages of feedback. That bidder is a dot in the ocean and there is no way Rails would get involved in bidding up. Reputation and low postage price?

• RMweb Premium

This ain't bad:-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AIRFIX-No-54204-LMS-STANIER-57-3rd-Class-CORRIDOR-BRAKE-/260966719593?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item3cc2d42069

after all you could get 2 brand new ones from here:-

http://Dapol.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=177_60_87_159&product_id=456

and still have change...............

No connection with either vendor - just amazed at some people's expectations.

Or is it because one is more 'collectable' ?

See how much they want for a 14XX & Autocoach!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AIRFIX-No-541527-GWR-CLASS-14XX-0-4-2-T-TANK-No-54255-AUTO-COACH-SET-MIB-/261054355031?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item3cc80d5657

You can get the 14xx for £25-30 and the coach for less. (I've got a BNIB at home as well as 4 BNIB  B set coaches! - all Airfix))

Keith

Edited by melmerby

I have bought a few.

You do have to remember to take the postal charge into account. £20 + £1 P&P is no more expensive than £13 + £8 P&P (in fact I would say it is cheaper, given the reputation and I cannot get over feeling that I am being overcharged for £8 P&P - especially if it then arrives badly packed and second class posted)

I know what folk are doing when they elevate the P&P, just evading ebay charges. But it always makes me suspect of their motives. Whereas Free/Nominal P&P always makes me feel the opposite. Possibly irrational?

I have bought a few.

You do have to remember to take the postal charge into account. £20 + £1 P&P is no more expensive than £13 + £8 P&P (in fact I would say it is cheaper, given the reputation and I cannot get over feeling that I am being overcharged for £8 P&P - especially if it then arrives badly packed and second class posted)

I know what folk are doing when they elevate the P&P, just evading ebay charges. But it always makes me suspect of their motives. Whereas Free/Nominal P&P always makes me feel the opposite. Possibly irrational?

That's very good thinking on the sellers part as I have never seen any item from this seller going for what I would describe as a bargain price.

In fact on a lot of occasions their items go for prices which more that make up for the cheaper postage.

As to postage costs elsewhere, some of the postage quotes are off the wall.

I know that some sellers bump up the postage to avoid fees but some sellers have no idea.

• RMweb Premium

More professional weathering.  I just can't seem to get these details right myself.  I always seem to end up with cement wagons being mainly white with a few oily/muddy bits.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dapol-wrenn-Bachmann-presflo-blue-circle-cement-wagons-professionally-weathered-/330861446993?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item4d08e10751

Obviously, someone decided the couplings were the valuable bit!

• Like 1

Perhaps having been badly affected by recent flooding, the thought has crossed the mind "how do I sell by flood damaged model railway?" - Ah I know, call it "professionally weathered", that seems to be de rigueur for such sales these days. Rather than @@RARE@@.

Perhaps having been badly affected by recent flooding, the thought has crossed the mind "how do I sell by flood damaged model railway?" - Ah I know, call it "professionally weathered", that seems to be de rigueur for such sales these days. Rather than @@RARE@@.

What could be more authentic "Professionally weathered by nature" 

You can't get better than that :yes: 

I've noticed that a lot of the stuff Rails post on ebay goes for a silly amount. 

I've had something off them for a reasonable price, was good customer service too - no connection other than a satisfied customer.

This ain't bad:-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AIRFIX-No-54204-LMS-STANIER-57-3rd-Class-CORRIDOR-BRAKE-/260966719593?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item3cc2d42069

after all you could get 2 brand new ones from here:-

http://Dapol.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=177_60_87_159&product_id=456

and still have change...............

No connection with either vendor - just amazed at some people's expectations.

Or is it because one is more 'collectable' ?

i sold two about 2 months ago for a tenner!!!!! i thought that was fair.... what a fool i am.

Funny you should say that.... so have I.

But, come-on folk, it is not their fault that people bid high. (due to reputation, low postal charges, heat of the bidding) It is not like they put the starting bid up at a MRP or above - like some we have mentioned on topic. They are obviously doing something correct (perhaps god photos, fair and honest description, good packaging, prompt dispatch?) or they wouldn't be so popular.
  • Like 1