Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

EBay madness

Marcyg

i have l

I once asked Hardjeff (current name escapes me!) to confirm whether one of his models was 'detailed and weathered' or 'as new in box', as the listing stated both - got a reply saying "It's both, hope this helps"... Funnily enough, it didn't!  :beee:

I have listed models like this .New and weathered and detailed .The new was that it hadnt done any running other than a test .in other words I had bought it just to weather and detail and then sell.

"New" I can live with - in many cases it's undeniably more accurate a description than "used" for a model which hasn't been. It's the phrase "as new" which grates, personally, implying it left the factory as per its current condition. All semantics, granted, but for me an "as new" model is just that!

So I asked the seller why he was advertising N gauge items under OO locomotives - and this was his response!

"Sorry I do not like the way your question is phrased ,I think I need to forward this to customer support.

eBay set the standard of sales not me!" You really can't help some people!

So I've pointed out his error again - perhaps I'll be banned!

Could just file a listing violation, but Ebay don't seem to care a damn these days when you report these. 

i have l

I have listed models like this .New and weathered and detailed .The new was that it hadnt done any running other than a test .in other words I had bought it just to weather and detail and then sell.

But then it is not new is it?  New is as it left the factory.

But then it is not new is it?  New is as it left the factory.

If that was the case then no one would ever buy anything new.

It left the factory, went to the distributors & then on to the shop.

Crikey that thing is ancient, well 3rd hand at best :yes:

If that was the case then no one would ever buy anything new.

It left the factory, went to the distributors & then on to the shop.

Crikey that thing is ancient, well 3rd hand at best :yes:

Hardly a valid point is it Tony, that is part of the distribution chain between manufacture and buyer.They haven't removed it from the box and sprayed dirt coloured paint over it have they?

Edited by steveb860

Hardly a valid point is it Tony, that is part of the distribution chain between manufacture and buyer.They haven't removed it from the box and sprayed dirt coloured paint over it have they?

You're right Steve but you knew I was only joking hence the smiley.

I have stuff here that I bought & never took it out of the box.

Its brand new but some people would consider it used because it was owned by someone before it got to them even though as I said it was never out of its box.

Technically its second hand I suppose.

If I was selling such items I would describe them as mint & never out of the box.

I'm sure we've all bought stuff in shops that may have been out of the box a few times & we never knew.

Buying from a distance as I have to I have often asked the shop if they would unpack it & test it for me before shipping, just in case there's a problem.

I've just had a bit of a "Sell-a-thon" which will shortly be followed by a "Brown paper and tape-a-thon" and a "Waiting to be paid-a-thon".

Although I generally find that eBay is excellent if you keep your wits about you and know exactly what you're buying or selling, I'm slightly concerned by a couple of issues- one of the buyers appears to be a trader or avid collector who'se Feedback tells me he picks up lots of stuff really cheaply that'd never fit in with a defined project, but I'm just hoping he won't be disappointed with this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=271145274751

I also recieved a message from another possible trader asking if I'd combine "my Diesel auctions"...

I had to reply just to tell him they were all AC Electrics...

• Like 1

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:  Oh for the days of trunnions, bent and flat, and the flanged sector plate - all in red and green...ooops giving my age away..

I wonder why this wasn't 'Toy of the Century' instead of that plastic stuff.

They mean "I have sold/used the power bogie now at least one mad fool wants to buy the rest"

That is a very clever use of a old 31 body. some one will buy it.  :jester:

Terry

For bonus points, try to identify the layout it's posed on......

• RMweb Gold

I think you'll find it is new and unmolested, a limited edition. These are being sold in aid of a carers charity in the North West somewhere, the details escape me, but I picked one up at the LYDCC exhibition a couple of years ago.

They seem to have a few left, so go on, support a good cause.

Mike.

• Like 2

Guest Belgian

Talk about e-bay madness! I have been watching a Bachmann Collett 0-6-0 chassis only (weathered) which has just gone for £49-00. A few hours earlier a complete Bachmann Collett 0-6-0 in what looks like excellent condition, but not weathered, went for £33-22!

JE

Guest Belgian

(OT) Ref the southern box van with uneven planking.  Talk about protoype for everything - I once saw one of these lurking at Mallaig in one of the BTC films about sommat or other.

But isn't that normal? Freight wagons would travel right across the network - they didn't transfer loads from one company's wagons to another's in the normal course of work did they?

JE