EBay madness

Marcyg

I'm not aware of that being applied to the RGJ, but that doesn't imply that it wasn't applied at some time.  The one I refer to was very close to the Scots landscape, and were a lovely group of officers.  There were, however, a couple of  incidents, whilst they were in Berlin, which added to the reputation.

• RMweb Premium
On 03/02/2021 at 03:58, SteveyDee68 said:

Getting back to business ...

The other responded saying she doesn’t know anything about model trains, and gave me an “offer” to buy for £60 instead of £80!! Not responded to that yet, but I won’t be paying that!!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bachmann-31-337-04-DIESEL-SHUNTER-D2280-BR-GREEN-SCALE-1-76-/265007775672?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292

And just when I thought I had seen them all ... how about an older model for £160?! Now that really is eBay madness!

She also has various other overpriced railway items for sale - a Hornby “Tango” van for £14, a “new” Lima coach for £40 (how long since Lima went out of business?)

I’ve messaged her pointing out she may be a little overpriced. Interesting to see how she responds!

Steve S

Probably thinks that the eBay police, are going OTT. Who cares that an item starts with a 'too high' price? Maybe she will learn by mistakes on pricing, when she gets no bids.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kevinlms said:

Probably thinks that the eBay police, are going OTT. Who cares that an item starts with a 'too high' price? Maybe she will learn by mistakes on pricing, when she gets no bids.

Well, you would hope so, but in the meantime such high starting bids simply encourage others to do the same - as I am stuck at home in lockdown (supply teacher!!) it amuses me to be helpful to errant eBay sellers when I can be.

Please note - all my messages are polite, draw attention to errors and suggest these were simple mistakes with suggestions on how to correct them.*

Hours of Fun! (Tee hee!)

* Except that one occasion a while ago when I was really drunk and messaged a few sellers with messages such as "You're joking? Seriously?!" and "Get a grip!" and suchlike! No mistaking me for the eBay Police on that occasion!

Edited by SteveyDee68
Formatting!
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, SteveyDee68 said:

Hours of Fun! (Tee hee!)

* Except that one occasion a while ago when I was really drunk and messaged a few sellers with messages such as "You're joking? Seriously?!" and "Get a grip!" and suchlike! No mistaking me for the eBay Police on that occasion!

Did they reply?:jester:

• Like 1

Which is why I don't drink very often. I tend to drink myself sober and become brutally honest in the process.

If only I could have been a simpler drunk like SWMBO, who I quote: "Goes mental and then passes out."

• Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

9 hours ago, SteveyDee68 said:

Well, you would hope so, but in the meantime such high starting bids simply encourage others to do the same - as I am stuck at home in lockdown (supply teacher!!) it amuses me to be helpful to errant eBay sellers when I can be.

Please note - all my messages are polite, draw attention to errors and suggest these were simple mistakes with suggestions on how to correct them.*

Hours of Fun! (Tee hee!)

I believe you are quite correct re 'encouraging others' on high pricing. Unrealistic expectations v what people are actually prepared to pay? Beats me how some eBay model railway traders succeed in selling anything to anyone! 'Priced to sell' or priced to deter?

• Like 4

On 03/02/2021 at 00:41, Paul H Vigor said:

I see its been relisted with a starting price reduced by 50p...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LONDON-ROAD-OO-GAUGE-9395-0-8-0-LMS-ETCHED-BRASS-KIT-PROFESSIONAL-BUILD-SUPER/254855621425?hash=item3b56942b31:g:G64AAOSwbhRf9gws

A few more iterations and someone might bite...  :crazy:

• Funny 4

• RMweb Gold

O gauge Lima EMU

From a popular seller.  Apparently it’s been “heavily modified”* and would be a “great item for your collection”**.

* using a hammer and chisel.

** of overpriced yet worthless junk.

I suspect this will be lingering unsold for a while...

Cheers

Darius

• Funny 5

6 minutes ago, Darius43 said:

O gauge Lima EMU

From a popular seller.  Apparently it’s been “heavily modified”* and would be a “great item for your collection”**.

* using a hammer and chisel.

** of overpriced yet worthless junk.

I suspect this will be lingering unsold for a while...

Cheers

Darius

EMU or POS, that is the question...

Pantographs might be worth a couple of quid. (Said he, desperately trying to find the positive.)

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Hroth said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LONDON-ROAD-OO-GAUGE-9395-0-8-0-LMS-ETCHED-BRASS-KIT-PROFESSIONAL-BUILD-SUPER/254855621425?hash=item3b56942b31:g:G64AAOSwbhRf9gws

If every six days he knocks off 50p, eventually it may be worth a punt!?

• Friendly/supportive 2

51 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

EMU or POS, that is the question...

Pantographs might be worth a couple of quid. (Said he, desperately trying to find the positive.)

£199.50 for chopped non-runner? There's that 50p again! The driving ends are a little rough?

• Friendly/supportive 2

4 hours ago, MrWolf said:

I see it's still "super".....

Marvellous...... :scratchhead:

I-don't-understand-the-use-of-hyphens-in-the-description.  Surely that makes it more difficult to search for and reduces the chances of finding someone willing to buy it?

Perhaps he meant it was a Super D, but ran out of space?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paul H Vigor said:

£199.50 for chopped non-runner? There's that 50p again! The driving ends are a little rough?

It's those window apertures, still a 50 calibre round does tend to make an untidy hole, especially on the way out...

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 3

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KIT-BUILT-PLASTIC-GW-20T-BALLAST-WAGON-27374-WITH-LOAD-1-KAYDEE-TYPE-COUPLING/353376682753?hash=item5246e44301:g:mSIAAOSwUwVgG-IW

My question is: why do people 'load' tube-type wagons with ballast? Plus this wagon is clearly identified as rated to carry 12 tons?

Edited by Paul H Vigor
to add information
  • Like 2

On 04/02/2021 at 13:16, Hroth said:

Always think when looking at listings like this is should'nt that be the finishing bid or Buy it Now price? 

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, leopardml2341 said:

Looks like an effective weathering job. Judging from the 'numbers', it seems that traders may have fought it out in the end?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1