EBay madness

Marcyg

1 hour ago, Paul H Vigor said:

Looks like an effective weathering job. Judging from the 'numbers', it seems that traders may have fought it out in the end?

I have to agree, very nice job. I hope that someone has the necessary skills to replicate that work on a replacement chassis. If it has gone to a dealer, I wonder just how much they will be asking for it once it's a runner again? 

• Agree 3

On 06/02/2021 at 10:48, MartinWales said:

Always think when looking at listings like this is should'nt that be the finishing bid or Buy it Now price? 

Just under three days left to run and no bids yet, so finishing bid/buy it now is a bit moot!  If it runs to the end without a bid then we'll see if another (lower?) starting price is applied, or if it gets withdrawn until market conditions improve. The Magrathean option, I believe...

• Like 4
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Andy WD said:

Another expert, although easily confused when all GWR locomotives look the same anyway.

Mike.

• Funny 4

9 hours ago, Andy WD said:

Again, were do the tenders go? A 4-6-2 Castle, eh? I can only assume someone is after a running chassis?

• Like 2

Lynton...a rebuilt West Country.

That has a Tri-ang/ Hornby Railways chassis.

The driving wheels are from a later Hornby Railways original condition WC or BoB. The centre drivers being modified, with a crank pin, to take the return crank for the valve gear, possibly from a black five? That and the cylinder block are also  Hornby Railways. Possibly from a Britannia?

The body...

Cab Parts possibly from a Kitmaster/ Airfix/ Dapol BoB kit.

the rest? It is possible to bash a Tri-ang/ Hornby Britannia into a representation of a rebuilt Bulleid loco...the boilers are similar...

One that I made earlier...;)

A42A2C61-41A6-4CCB-9573-34B17E7F4086.jpeg.098d1724f5941862c4336463fab50a5e.jpeg

That Lord Nelson...:scratchhead:

• Bachmann Locomotive 30850 4-6-0 with 2x Crew (Lord Nelson ?? - No Nameplate & No Rear Cab Wheels) - VERY GOOD RUNNER.

This seller seems to think that all locos have carrying wheels under the cab!

Hence that Poor Ringfield motored Castle description....

There must be a pile of tenders somewhere...

Edited by Ruffnut Thorston
More added...photo added...
  • Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 3

I’ve added a photo of my Brit to Bulleid conversion to my post above...

This was inspired by someone making a similar version in TT Gauge using Tri-ang TT parts...

That experience has informed my observations...;)

More added
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

That takes me back thirty something years. Partly because it's just like the articles that you used to get in the railway magazines on converting RTR to other types, when I was about 15 I did a much more basic conversion of a Wrenn R1 into some kind of Rhymney Railway 0-6-0T. I seem to recall an article where someone had made an entire fleet of BR era locos out of broken, incomplete Triang Hornby Mainline models, kit parts and castings. 

I still have a few projects on the go for obscure GWR and absorbed engines. 

They aren't likely to be perfect, if I want that there's plenty of good kits out there, but there's something very satisfying about things that are built not bought.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

I have two small books that are all locos made mainly from RTR parts...

I can’t remember the details off hand though.

These are now quite old. East Kent models were suppliers of some of the parts used. 

Yes, the old magazine articles are still very interesting.

On 09/02/2021 at 00:25, CHAZ D said:

Warship?? the answer to the ultimate question.

Though the class 43 Warships tended to indicate that things were going awry with the calculation...

Edited by Hroth
Spelin, on a tablet, at 3am is liable to be a bit hit and miss...
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Ruffnut Thorston said:

Lynton...a rebuilt West Country.

That has a Tri-ang/ Hornby Railways chassis.

The driving wheels are from a later Hornby Railways original condition WC or BoB. The centre drivers being modified, with a crank pin, to take the return crank for the valve gear, possibly from a black five? That and the cylinder block are also  Hornby Railways. Possibly from a Britannia?

The body...

Cab Parts possibly from a Kitmaster/ Airfix/ Dapol BoB kit.

the rest? It is possible to bash a Tri-ang/ Hornby Britannia into a representation of a rebuilt Bulleid loco...the boilers are similar...

Just quoting the first part of your post so I might express genuine admiration at your forensic deconstruction of the crime scene.

Now, let me find the telephone number of the guy from the TV production company I worked with a few years ago - I'm sure that with the popularity of The Great British Train Set Challenge (or whatever it is called) and The Repair Shop and the continuing fascination by the viewing public of anything to do with forensics solving a grissly murder that there must be a TV show somewhere in there if you did a mash up of all three?

And Ruffnut Thorston does sound like a Norwegian detective's name, so that even pulls in fans of Scandinavian crime thrillers, too!

It could even have continuous subtitling, given that most of what was said in Ruffnut's answer would make as much sense to the general public as something in a foreign language.

Think we're onto a winner here...

Steve S

(Yes, nurse, time for my meds again, I know)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Steve, I must admit that words are close to failing me there...:)

A brilliant idea...

The programme could also use ideas from Through the keyhole?

Through the railway room door?

The detective would be shewn a model, or even a complete layout, and proceed to identify and deconstruct, nor literally, the origins and methods used in the production of the model...

I love the idea of subtitles...:D

A kind of, “How To Identify Your Train”? ;)

The Viking connexion should be apparent from my profile picture...

So far, I have only been working behind the scenes for TV productions.

Mainly as a kind of historical and technical advisor, and providing some facilities for film crews.

As far as I know, my appearances in front of the cameras over the years have ended up on the cutting room floor!

No Equity card as yet!

:D

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

For those who want more information and photos on the Tri-ang Hornby Rebuilt Merchant Navy pictured in my post above...

https://www.modelrailforum.com/forums/index.php?s=&showtopic=24372&view=findpost&p=294240

https://www.modelrailforum.com/forums/index.php?s=&showtopic=24372&view=findpost&p=294454

https://www.modelrailforum.com/forums/index.php?s=&showtopic=24372&view=findpost&p=294755

And some more photos...

https://www.modelrailforum.com/forums/index.php?s=&showtopic=24372&view=findpost&p=295367

At some point, Photobucket may pull the plug on the photos...:wacko:

More links added
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Ruffnut Thorston said:

At some point, Photobucket may pull the plug on the photos...:wacko:

If they're yours, can you retrieve the photos for posting on another photo site if you want to?

I must say that I found the imposed photobucket branding intrusive and detracted from some of the detail.  Its even worse than Alamy branding, and thats saying something!

• Agree 1

For me, on that forum, if I click on the photo header, where it says click, then I get the whole photo, no branding...

That forum doesn’t support editing after a certain time has passed, but I may get around to re posting the photos somewhere, sometime. There is still work to be done on the loco to finish it. 

Reduced: 47% of original size [ 1024 x 768 ] - Click to view full image

Typo