EBay madness

Marcyg

Is there a thread on here called e-Bay common sense and decent sellers?

This person needs to be mentioned. Good clear photos, crisp and useful. Good quality models that look like they've been stored in good conditions and very sensible starting prices that are encouraging bidders to bid. This is the kind of person e-Bay should encourage.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/j870mdo/m.html?

• Agree 9

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Hroth said:

A curious "model", it appears to be compressed lengthways and just odd.  The tender is bonkers, the livery and lettering likewise.  I wonder where it originated?

At a guess it's one of those Atlas part work series. Locos of the world. British stuff. Etc. He's got quite a selection all priced at 19.95. plus p&p Round these parts they usually go on the boot sales for  less than a quid each 

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Martin S-C said:

This person needs to be mentioned. Good clear photos, crisp and useful. Good quality models that look like they've been stored in good conditions and very sensible starting prices that are encouraging bidders to bid. This is the kind of person e-Bay should encourage.

He's just pricing his stuff low on the basis that the bidding will reach whatever it's worth and he wants it to sell.

A good description and decent photos serve to improve your chances of selling, as potential buyers won't be put off by missing information they may need to reach a decision, and fuzzy photos only mean it's not worth bidding so high because what you are looking at is a pig in a poke. 

Edited by Michael Hodgson
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Premium
36 minutes ago, TinTracks said:

At a guess it's one of those Atlas part work series. Locos of the world. British stuff. Etc. He's got quite a selection all priced at 19.95. plus p&p Round these parts they usually go on the boot sales for  less than a quid each 

Which is probably where he gets his stock from.   Buy for a quid, sell on-line for twenty.

The last two car boot sales I've done, I was approached on arrival by someone asking for model railways or cars.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Hroth said:

A curious "model", it appears to be compressed lengthways and just odd.  The tender is bonkers, the livery and lettering likewise.  I wonder where it originated?

My thinking is that this is an Ertl Thomas The Tank Engine and Friends “model”.

City of Truro does make an appearance in the books……

Edit:

Or maybe not! 

462DBFED-1538-4147-9CFE-7D5EF1C33938.jpeg.6f63974cdc463a303b9e96b0ec1a978b.jpeg

Still further research has confirmed this as an Atlas model, minus the plinth.

This one is on Ebid…

52467DFE-A73C-4A8C-94C9-FB5E0532343D.jpeg.f6a489d976c6049fe987a725826fe008.jpeg

https://www.ebid.net/uk/for-sale/city-of-truro-great-western-railway-gwr-4-4-0-british-steam-engine-203738446.htm

Edited by Ruffnut Thorston
Added photos after some research…
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, Ruffnut Thorston said:

My thinking is that this is an Ertl Thomas The Tank Engine and Friends “model”.

City of Truro Dow’s make an appearance in the books……

The devil is in the detail. The ERTL version carries GWR logo on the tender. The Atlas carries Great Western in full with a logo between. (Errm I didn't know this,had to research,.... honest guvnor)

Regards Rich

• Like 4

People put Hornby so it shows up in more searches. I really loathe scammers because that is what they are doing, falsely representing something.

Although its just possible that some people really do think every model train is made by Hornby.

• Agree 7

• RMweb Gold

I'd agree that some less scrupulous sellers describe items as 'Hornby', or 'suitable for Hornby' (less mendacious, perhaps, but still done to trigger search results), but one must also allow an element of benefit of the doubt here.  Hornby is sometimes used be people who are not really part of the hobby as a general catch-all term for 00 products, in the same inaccurate way as Hoover is used as a general term for vacuum cleaners.

The box is a little scuffed, but I wouldn't have said it had 'taken a beating'!

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/383837893807?hash=item595e8574af:g:NtwAAOSw8Wlfxr9u

Apologies if these have already appeared. Here's a couple of items from the same seller which may be of interest to fellow "Dublo Boys"

I think he's a tad adventurous with his prices. I wonder if he wants to buy some more.?https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/383774744693?hash=item595ac1e075:g:ElkAAOSwNqpfdKRX

Edited by TinTracks
Messed up the links
  • Like 1
  • Funny 1

2 hours ago, TinTracks said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/383837893807?hash=item595e8574af:g:NtwAAOSw8Wlfxr9u

Apologies if these have already appeared. Here's a couple of items from the same seller which may be of interest to fellow "Dublo Boys"

I think he's a tad adventurous with his prices. I wonder if he wants to buy some more.?https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/383774744693?hash=item595ac1e075:g:ElkAAOSwNqpfdKRX

You'd think the vendor would bundle the mail coach with the trackside apparatus! And given the state of the Safety Minor...

They obviously haven't got a clue. :scratchhead:

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, meatloaf said:

Apparently new and unopened.... i guess the handrails broke themselves then...

Hornby train. Class 08. New unopened. | eBay

The Bachmann 08 Shunters come new with the cab access steps in a little bag, not fitted! Well, at least our Black BR livery one did! ;)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hroth said:

You'd think the vendor would bundle the mail coach with the trackside apparatus! And given the state of the Safety Minor...

They obviously haven't got a clue. :scratchhead:

You could pass off that old H&M safety minor as having been looted from the control room at Chernobyl.

It might then fetch a few quid...

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 6

12 hours ago, Rowsley17D said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/154636518699?

The box has taken quite a beating too.

“Put it in my work bag and walked home. “
Fairly worn box, damaged handrails and one of the connecting rods with some paint scratched off

If that’s what happens to the contents of the work bag from a walk home then I fear for the safety of the bag itself.

• Like 2