EBay madness

Marcyg

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, The Johnster said:

Now now, we all had to learn to paint somewhere…

Very well said Sir !! Which sort of leads me to draw your attention to these

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/353707830806

Now don't get me wrong. In no way am I criticizing the workmanship. I'm sure that whoever produced these got a great deal of pleasure and fun from the project, and rightly so. What I can't wrap my head round is the description and the asking price  ''In good condition as shown - quite a nice job ''

Regards, Rich

Edited by TinTracks

38 minutes ago, TinTracks said:

Now don't get me wrong. In no way am I criticizing the workmanship. I'm sure that whoever produced these got a great deal of pleasure and fun from the project, and rightly so. What I can't wrap my head round is the description and the asking price  ''In good condition as shown - quite a nice job ''

Regards, Rich

It took me a full minute to realise they were Triang and not, what I initially purported to be, Ian Kirk kits! 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, 33C said:

It took me a full minute to realise they were Triang and not, what I initially purported to be, Ian Kirk kits! 

Your dead right mate. The hover to zoom function can be very cruel at times.:o

Regards , Rich

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, TinTracks said:

Regards, Rich

Note his Ebay name implies they might have done service in the Persian Gulf area post War...

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KIT-BUILT-BODY-N-GAUGE-BR-BLACK-4-6-0-STD-CL4-75049-STEAM-LOCOMOTIVE-/203630276472?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m2548.l6249&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

I do wonder about the descriptions, very good boxed condition... looks like it's ready for Cashmores or Birds 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

11 minutes ago, John Besley said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KIT-BUILT-BODY-N-GAUGE-BR-BLACK-4-6-0-STD-CL4-75049-STEAM-LOCOMOTIVE-/203630276472?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m2548.l6249&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

I do wonder about the descriptions, very good boxed condition... looks like it's ready for Cashmores or Birds 

A supposedly reputed trader describing items as this, cannot be doing their business any good.

The employee need a good kicking, sorry talking to, so they accurately describe items as they are!

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

6 hours ago, andytrains said:

A supposedly reputed trader describing items as this, cannot be doing their business any good.

The employee need a good kicking, sorry talking to, so they accurately describe items as they are!

In the past I have contacted Rails about errors in their listings. I usually get a polite response thanking me for doing so. On one occasion, I got a message saying that a new member of staff had been listing items and apologising, as it had come to their attention that many errors had been made.

However, I think bona fide model shops should be setting the "gold standard" of correct information and descriptions on their eBay listings, as well as complete transparency.

I contacted another seller* on Friday to point out that their listing encouraged buyers to check the photos for the condition of the item, but suggested to them that their photo had been taken in such a way as to deliberately obscure the fact that the wagon had a damaged buffer (or was it a coincidence that the damage lined up exactly with the rail upon which the wagon was stood?)**

I now have a bit of a bee in my bonnet about such things having been caught out twice now with the same sneaky practice. I now, as a matter of course, ask explicitly*** about the condition of the item ... "Please confirm that all buffers are present and undamaged" or "You have stated that the loco "runs forwards and backwards" - please confirm if it runs smoothly and across a full range of speeds"

No clear confirmation, no bid from me!

Steve S

* Oh, go on then, it was Rocket Railways

** In fairness, they replied and said they would update the listing. (What they don't know is that, just like Arnie, "I'll be back!")

** By explicitly, I don't mean with lots of swearing!!!

Edited by SteveyDee68
Clarity (well, it is 4:30am!!)
  • Like 4

That major trader must get through a lot of "new employees" who go on to make mistakes in their second hand listings because its happened to me twice in 3 years of buying from them. You'd think having had it pointed out to them several times now they'd not let their amazingly frequent flow of "new employees" loose on second hand listings. Its also quite odd how ALL their "new employees" seem to be equally bad at describing the state of second hand models, almost as though... you know .... it was the same person.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Would it be overly pedantic to point out that neither of those aircraft break down that way for transportation?

Besides which the first over bridge would destroy the Lanc's wings and engines along with everything else.. and who ever saw a tender like that for oil firing .... not aware of any WD's being converted that way on this country, or is it a new Barnes Wallis bouncing bomb judging by the 617 number on the cab side :nono:

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, John Besley said:

12 bids from 5 bidders too! These must be R@RE

• Funny 1