EBay madness

Marcyg

• RMweb Gold

My impression of the Tude of Gos is that he has a rather loose grip on what items are actually worth, and, like many dealers, simply applies a percentage over the price he paid for it to sell it at.  If this is the case, then there will occasionally be instances of him having paid a low price for an item and applying his standard percentage, which represents the profit he intends to make on it, with the result that a bargain can be had! 

It is my belief that this method of pricing is also responsible for some of the rather delusional item from Hats or Rails, only I reckon they use the catalogue RRP as the base point, not the price they paid for it. 

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

7 hours ago, Metr0Land said:

This Thompson BG in BR blue seems to have more windows than the normal variants

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284593130129?hash=item4243128a91:g:n2YAAOSwLp1h0uv3

Same thing can be had from our infamous Mr Gostude - for a mere £17.50 more!! 

If it sells for its starting price of £20, should this be listed as a bargain?

Steve S

• Like 3

Brace yourselves …

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-R3064-RailRoad-BR-Smokey-Joe-00-Gauge-Steam-Locomotive-/224624460964?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

I thought this one of Mr G’s offerings, but no!

Who is going to be brave and be the first to message the seller and say, “Are you mad?!”

Steve S

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

5 minutes ago, SteveyDee68 said:

Brace yourselves …

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-R3064-RailRoad-BR-Smokey-Joe-00-Gauge-Steam-Locomotive-/224624460964?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

Who is going to be brave and be the first to message the seller and say, “Are you mad?!”

Steve S

Yet another 'dropshipping' seller. List thousands of random items at more than the normal retail price; when someone buys they just buy in at normal price and ship to their buyer, keeping the profit.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

10 minutes ago, SteveyDee68 said:

Brace yourselves …

Steve S

Note: it is "... designed to withstand gentle knocks."!

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

OMG!! There’s another one, only a little cheaper!!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-R3064-RailRoad-BR-Smokey-Joe-00-Gauge-Steam-Locomotive-/182777995158?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

The thing is, the description is EXACTLY THE SAME as the previous post, plus the seller is selling the SAME OLD SHUGAR as the other seller!

I suspect they are one and the same!!

Unbelievable!!

Steve S

PS

I just wrote to the first seller basically saying (nicely) that they were attempting to sell a basic toy at the price of a scale model…

PPS

Posted before seeing the previous reply - which makes a lot of sense! Thank the Lord nobody here will be daft enough to fall for it!

Edited by SteveyDee68
Saw an earlier reply!!
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, SteveyDee68 said:

I just wrote to the first seller basically saying (nicely) that they were attempting to sell a basic toy at the price of a scale model…

You should write to the seller telling them that if eBay realise they are Forward Selling (similar to dropshipping), they may have their account suspended.  Unless eBay have given up and prefer to just take any seller's fees, regardless of how bent they may be?

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

I just found this one …

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/117-Bachmann-32-152-N-Class-2-6-0-31813-in-BR-black-late-crest-Boxed-Excellent-/353393562775?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

I mean, the fact that “Mel” pointed out the bent running plate to the seller (and is thanked for doing so) and that the seller explains that it can be pushed back into place with your fingers…

From the number of items the seller has on sale, he must be aware of Mazak Rot. He describes this loco as being in “excellent condition” - what, besides the fact it has terminal metal cancer?

His prices are all a little bit on the “optimistic” side for my liking - it was the Railroad 0-4-0s at £50+ that caught my attention - but this listing smacks of downright fibbing.

Have suggested he re-lists as “for spares and repairs” only for a vastly reduced price more realistic for an effectively doomed loco. Otherwise, he’s misleading his potential buyers and that gets him reported!

Steve S

PS

Is one of the side effects of a dose of Covid the loss of one’s patience or sense of humour? Normally I can report on this sort of stuff and simply laugh at the stupidity but just recently I’m finding myself getting annoyed at it all!

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

56 minutes ago, SteveyDee68 said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-R3064-RailRoad-BR-Smokey-Joe-00-Gauge-Steam-Locomotive-/182777995158?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

The thing is, the description is EXACTLY THE SAME as the previous post, plus the seller is selling the SAME OLD SHUGAR as the other seller!

Unbelievable!!

Steve S

PS

PPS

Posted before seeing the previous reply - which makes a lot of sense! Thank the Lord nobody here will be daft enough to fall for it!

I wrote to this one suggesting they were dropshipping etc

Replied as follows:

Hi Steve,

Thank you very much for your concern.

For your information, we do drop ship as per eBays policies, using wholesale suppliers, which is in line with eBays Policies,

Thank You.

Kindest Regards,

Nigel.

——————

It seems that eBay don’t mind such behaviour then ….

55 minutes ago, Northmoor said:

Unless eBay have given up and prefer to just take any seller's fees, regardless of how bent they may be?

Let the nailhead see the hammer!

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

18 minutes ago, SteveyDee68 said:

I just found this one …

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/117-Bachmann-32-152-N-Class-2-6-0-31813-in-BR-black-late-crest-Boxed-Excellent-/353393562775?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

I mean, the fact that “Mel” pointed out the bent running plate to the seller (and is thanked for doing so) and that the seller explains that it can be pushed back into place with your fingers…

From the number of items the seller has on sale, he must be aware of Mazak Rot. He describes this loco as being in “excellent condition” - what, besides the fact it has terminal metal cancer?

His prices are all a little bit on the “optimistic” side for my liking - it was the Railroad 0-4-0s at £50+ that caught my attention - but this listing smacks of downright fibbing.

Have suggested he re-lists as “for spares and repairs” only for a vastly reduced price more realistic for an effectively doomed loco. Otherwise, he’s misleading his potential buyers and that gets him reported!

Steve S

PS

Is one of the side effects of a dose of Covid the loss of one’s patience or sense of humour? Normally I can report on this sort of stuff and simply laugh at the stupidity but just recently I’m finding myself getting annoyed at it all!

In perfect running order - but for how long? Until the distorting chassis locks up?

"A very good collectors piece"

Piece of what exactly?

I have an idea....

I have zero patience with people who act dumb but are clearly selling junk.

I've been to see numerous old motorcycles that apparently are runners, but the seller doesn't have any petrol to hand.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

4 minutes ago, SteveyDee68 said:

I wrote to this one suggesting they were dropshipping etc

Replied as follows:

Hi Steve,

Thank you very much for your concern.

For your information, we do drop ship as per eBays policies, using wholesale suppliers, which is in line with eBays Policies,

Thank You.

Kindest Regards,

Nigel.

——————

It seems that eBay don’t mind such behaviour then ….

Let the nailhead see the hammer!

What was it I said a while back about some people's entire business model being to know where to buy an item cheap and then fleece people who don't?

I for one won't be helping the #### buy a new Range Rover...

• Agree 2
  • Funny 3

3 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

What was it I said a while back about some people's entire business model being to know where to buy an item cheap and then fleece people who don't?

I for one won't be helping the #### buy a new Range Rover...

What I get annoyed about (probably should just chill about it) is that some newbie to the hobby goes onto eBay and then gets ripped off by these chancers.

@MrWolf did you check out any of his other listings? The Hornby 4F (yep, the one based on the old Airfix model including the tender drive) up for sale at £150+ because it makes for a good “collector’s item”?

Or the many listings explaining that the models come from a lifetime collection from an ex forces veteran who died after falling from the loft on the second day of lockdown and whose family have entrusted the seller to auction the collection?

(I know - that’s almost as cliché as Rails telling us they have a new member of staff pricing up secondhand eBay items!)

I really need to get some sleep!

Steve S

• Friendly/supportive 4

The sad but most likely bogus back story I find offensive as well as irrelevant to the condition of the goods offered. Such tales are usually the precursor to somehow trying to justify the extortionate price.

If he is trying it on, I know quite a few ex servicemen who would like to meet him.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, SteveyDee68 said:

Unbelievable!!

Steve S

PS

PPS

And one has sold with 3 more available.. 

• RMweb Gold

Not model railway related but I see that eBay (courtesy of Google adds) is happy to promote con-artist scam products.  Given the forthcoming massive rise in household energy costs it is comforting to see Big Tech doing their bit to deepen the misery.

A1E2B3E7-9EF0-4708-A1F4-A5F0784654EE.jpeg.257f92c5d68dac3892b642b581d664ca.jpeg

Cheers

Darius

• RMweb Premium

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JAMESON-BRASS-KIT-BUILT-MODEL-OF-A-LMS-CORONATION-CLASS-4-6-2-STREAMLINE-LOCO-/304289601170?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m2548.l6249&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

At least for nearly £400 you get free postage! Flangeless centre driving wheels too. 

Some of his other stuff is, err, keenly priced should we say. £65 for a Mainline J72. Or the same price for a Lima Small Prairie - how much is a Bachmann one?! 

And to go full Gosturde, we also have "rare" and "kitbuilt" bandied about for pretty grotty RTR stuff. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/00-KIT-BUILT-MODEL-NoXXX-BR-COMPOSITE-SUBURBAN-COACH-RARE-/304289595295?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m2548.l6249&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

• Like 3