RMweb

EBay madness

Marcyg

18 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

ViTrains tried that with buffer beam detail on the class 37, what a firestorm that started!

Mike.

That's in part because it didn't improve QC (in general, I don't think QC was a ViTrains strongpoint) - you had to open out the holes quite significantly in order to make things fit, while trying not to damage the loco.

• Like 2

Stumbled upon this a few moments ago…

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bachmann-OO-GAUGE-BR-L-YR-ASPINAL-RADIAL-CLASS-5-2-4-2-TANK-LOCO-50795-DCC-BOXED-/313756798006?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

The thing is, the description states the loco as being “factory weathered”, but I don’t think I’ve ever seen “factory weathering” where the wheels are missing aforementioned weathering (check the photos out!)

Surely this is an example of after-market weathering demonstrating a rookie error? As such, the description is definitely misleading!

Steve S

• Funny 3

4 hours ago, SteveyDee68 said:

Stumbled upon this a few moments ago…

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bachmann-OO-GAUGE-BR-L-YR-ASPINAL-RADIAL-CLASS-5-2-4-2-TANK-LOCO-50795-DCC-BOXED-/313756798006?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

The thing is, the description states the loco as being “factory weathered”, but I don’t think I’ve ever seen “factory weathering” where the wheels are missing aforementioned weathering (check the photos out!)

Surely this is an example of after-market weathering demonstrating a rookie error? As such, the description is definitely misleading!

Steve S

This attempt at 'weathering' brought to mind the following:

• Funny 3

On 19/02/2022 at 22:53, MrWolf said:

Someone didn't remember to rotate the wheels! It would be better to just weather it again, properly. 

It does look a bit like "factory weathered", eg: a blast over in an even reddish brown! :D

I contacted the seller to suggest perhaps this item wasn’t actually factory weathered! His response - it says factory weathered on the box!

Still trying to work out if (a) he is deliberately misleading potential buyers or (b) he’s the mug for buying an obviously NOT factory weathered model from somebody else who has pulled a fast one on him

These know-nowt chancers, as shown by the “MK3 coach” recently noted, are capable only of writing what is on the end of the box, and are oblivious to the contents being incorrect!

Meanwhile, it seems some sellers are using Gostude as the model for their item pricing - he is attempting to sell a Hornby Conflat B wagon (with Freightliner box) for £25, so a copycat seller listed an identical item for £24.95 open to offers… I offered £11 (which I got my last one for), was rejected, and sent a message to the effect that it was listed for double the amount I had previously bought one for! I then won an open auction for another one for just over £10 … 

No eBay madness to see here!! LOL

HOURS OF FUN!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, SteveyDee68 said:

I contacted the seller to suggest perhaps this item wasn’t actually factory weathered! His response - it says factory weathered on the box!

Still trying to work out if (a) he is deliberately misleading potential buyers or (b) he’s the mug for buying an obviously NOT factory weathered model from somebody else who has pulled a fast one on him

These know-nowt chancers, as shown by the “MK3 coach” recently noted, are capable only of writing what is on the end of the box, and are oblivious to the contents being incorrect!

Meanwhile, it seems some sellers are using Gostude as the model for their item pricing - he is attempting to sell a Hornby Conflat B wagon (with Freightliner box) for £25, so a copycat seller listed an identical item for £24.95 open to offers… I offered £11 (which I got my last one for), was rejected, and sent a message to the effect that it was listed for double the amount I had previously bought one for! I then won an open auction for another one for just over £10 … 

No eBay madness to see here!! LOL

HOURS OF FUN!

Back in the earlier days of manufacturers weathering there were many examples of "static wheel weathering", I believe there are example on the forum somewhere, so I wouldn't doubt the veracity of his statement.

Mike.

• Informative/Useful 1

18 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Back in the earlier days of manufacturers weathering there were many examples of "static wheel weathering", I believe there are example on the forum somewhere, so I wouldn't doubt the veracity of his statement.

Mike.

I stand corrected - I had not heard of that! Every day is a school day!

Steve S

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Esmedune said:

I have an airbrush and several different coloured tins of paint, worship me!!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/133749593781

Looking at his other items, I don't think he's got the knack of translating prototype photographs into model equivalents yet!

Sure enjoys his airbrush though, he's got a twitchier trigger finger than John Wayne.

Mike.

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, PieGuyRob said:

I admire his optimism.

1)  The Hornby version in this livery was a poor seller even at a fraction of the price as it was based on a one-off experimental livery.

2)  Two power cars, yet one has no exhaust pipes on the corridor end,  a Lima mistake which Hornby later rectified.

3)  I couldn't find any pictures of the "storage boxes shown" to which the description refers.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

36 minutes ago, cessna152towser said:

3)  I couldn't find any pictures of the "storage boxes shown" to which the description refers.

They are in the first photo. The rear rear unit is sat on one of them. They aren't their original boxes. They are grey in colour.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1