EBay madness

Marcyg

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Make a great layout room.

You'd need to spend a good bit of cash to make it suitable, though, insulating and draught proofing, and preventing heat loss through the underfloor area.  Think of it as a long caravan, and how cold those are in winter...

Given it's shape, though, it might be possible to bury it in your garden if you've got one long enough on a hillside (and if you can afford this sort of adventure, you might have), which would make heating it much easier and cheaper.

Edited by The Johnster
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

£32k for a completely rotten, stripped spares donor tube coach is more than some of Llangollen's fully operational Mk1s sold last year! 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

Not railway related, but does anyone remember the Top of the Pops LPs?   They were dire covers of current popular songs.

What brought them to mind, and the ebay search was that I found one  that my brother had bought in the early 70s, easily dated as it has, amongst other tracks, a version of the Osmonds "Crazy Horses"...  They were noted for their saucy pinups on the front, the ones I've linked are excellent examples! This one appears to have been cropped  to try and hide the models panties.... 

But who would want a naff cover of Chirpy Chirpy Cheep Cheep (amongst others) for £6?* Definitely ebay madness!

* Though its claimed to be Rare...

Edited by Hroth
Extra sauce...
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, goldfish said:

As the BRSMB is a current topic elsewhere on the forum, anybody fancy an original copy of the British Railway Modelling Standards Bureau Standard Dimensions 1950?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284472368917

A mere £47.00 for a tatty 9 page leaflet.

Another unofficial antique dealer. Judging by the other stuff for sale,, one of the folks who orbit the back of your car at 6am if you happen to get a pitch at a boot sale.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Hroth said:

Not railway related, but does anyone remember the Top of the Pops LPs?   They were dire covers of current popular songs.

What brought them to mind, and the ebay search was that I found one  that my brother had bought in the early 70s, easily dated as it has, amongst other tracks, a version of the Osmonds "Crazy Horses"...  They were noted for their saucy pinups on the front, the ones I've linked are excellent examples! This one appears to have been cropped  to try and hide the models panties.... 

But who would want a naff cover of Chirpy Chirpy Cheep Cheep (amongst others) for £6?* Definitely ebay madness!

* Though its claimed to be Rare...

That's cheesetastic!

My first thought on seeing the cover was: Is that Cameron Diaz's mom? And if so, dies she know?

Doubtless rare because either nobody bought them because they were awful or they got thrown away for the same reason.

What I do know for certain is that these and other delights such as "Hot hits '74" were given away by garages with a tank of petrol.

1 hour ago, Bucoops said:

Does it come in a postal tube?

😬

1 hour ago, MrWolf said:

Where's the groan button when you need it? 😆

Use the Grimace emoji...

• Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, MrWolf said:

What I do know for certain is that these and other delights such as "Hot hits '74" were given away by garages with a tank of petrol.

They'd have had to have given me a free tank of petrol to take the thing off their hands!  They were standard xmas pressies for teenagers at one time, from aunties and uncles who knew nothing about music but knew that the kids liked it, 'ooh, 99p, all the hits, he/she'll love this, stereo as well so it must be good quality, we've seen in the adverts, yay, K-tel'.  No wonder they rebelled!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2

11 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

They'd have had to have given me a free tank of petrol to take the thing off their hands!  They were standard xmas pressies for teenagers at one time, from aunties and uncles who knew nothing about music but knew that the kids liked it, 'ooh, 99p, all the hits, he/she'll love this, stereo as well so it must be good quality, we've seen in the adverts, yay, K-tel'.  No wonder they rebelled!

The problem was that the telly advertised K-tel discs were original artist compilations at £1.99, twice the price of the "Top of the Pops" abominations which were produced by Pickwick. The aunties and uncles didn't realise that they were cheaper than K-tel because they were all cover versions, bad ones at that! The cover of "Crazy Horses" on the disc I have is ear-wincingly terrible...

I don't know how Pickwick got away with their "Top of the Pops" branding, you'd have thought that the BBC would have taken issue with it!

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
31 minutes ago, Hroth said:

I don't know how Pickwick got away with their "Top of the Pops" branding, you'd have thought that the BBC would have taken issue with it!

ISTR that "top of the pops" was an expression in common use at the time, so they couldn't have copyrighted it even if it had occurred to somebody.  Not like today.

• Agree 1

29 minutes ago, 5944 said:

Perhaps its meant to look like a tram engine, suitable for operating in exposed places?

A pity the bodger didn't cover up the other side. I expect that "fully working" means that it can barely move itself as a single driver?

Just had a look at his site, seems to be fond of knocking the chimneys off!!!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/125288094683

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/125294375544

Edited by Hroth
  • Like 3

On 03/05/2022 at 13:30, Hroth said:

The problem was that the telly advertised K-tel discs were original artist compilations at £1.99, twice the price of the "Top of the Pops" abominations which were produced by Pickwick. The aunties and uncles didn't realise that they were cheaper than K-tel because they were all cover versions, bad ones at that! The cover of "Crazy Horses" on the disc I have is ear-wincingly terrible...

A few of the TOTP LPs fetch a fortune as Reg Dwight from Pinner was the singer on some of them! and a certain Mr.Stewart from the same area on others.

• Informative/Useful 1

39 minutes ago, roythebus1 said:

A few of the TOTP LPs fetch a fortune as Reg Dwight from Pinner was the singer on some of them! and a certain Mr.Stewart from the same area on others.

The rest can confidently be made into novelty plant pots for the good of mankind I presume?

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

8 hours ago, roythebus1 said:

Acknowledged by Dwight and Stewart?  Or is it just "not many people know this, but...".

The LPs themselves don't list performers.

I can see why some collectors will value such discs, but that's the common ebay problem.

• Like 1

Yep according to various record collectors sites. There were quite a few TOTP singers who later became famous in their own right. A bit like the Woolworths Embassy records of the 1950s and 60s used many former Big Band singers on their cover versions. I got given a load of mint condition embassy records back in the 1980s and didn't realise the value of them now as I put them in the dustbin!!

• Friendly/supportive 3