EBay madness

Marcyg

4 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

Question - why would someone bid on items they are already leading with the exact same bid as two days ago?

Two different items, repeat bids two days apart?

eBay automatic bidding software ?

Edited by 2E Sub Shed
Missed word.
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

Filtered without auto bids and they're still there, the person has reasonable positive reviews.  Oh well, just one of those wierd things with Ebay.

If they are the only bidder then they probably added a higher second bid, but as no-one else has bid then the current bid amount stays  the same. Ebay won't show you max bid amounts as that just encourages shill bidding.

• Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Bucoops said:

If they are the only bidder then they probably added a higher second bid, but as no-one else has bid then the current bid amount stays  the same. Ebay won't show you max bid amounts as that just encourages shill bidding.

I did that with an item. The first bid was to see if I could pip the previous bidder and the second was as high as I was prepared to go as I hopefully didn't want to beaten in the last few seconds. Worked too. Got it for less than my highest bid. Well, it made sense to me at the time.

• Like 5

I have done the same thing only last week. There was a motorcycle cylinder head for sale, rare as hen's teeth, but not particularly valuable.

Starting bid £28.50. So I put in a bid of £35 and it shows £28.50 (1 bid)..

Although there were no other bids against me in the next four days, I thought it would be daft to lose it for the sake of a few pounds, so I put in another bid of £50, which was as much as I wanted to bid. 

eBay now shows two bids, but as there had been no counter bids, the price stays at £28.50 (2 bids)

Someone could still have sniped me in the last seven seconds, but they'd have to be prepared to pay more than I was.

A lot of snipe programs are run by wannabe dealers to hoover up items that still have a good margin of resale profit. 

Edited by MrWolf
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3

4 hours ago, woodenhead said:

Question - why would someone bid on items they are already leading with the exact same bid as two days ago?

Two different items, repeat bids two days apart?

It's because of the way ebay bidding works and possibly not widely known. 

If you look at the bidding history, you can often see the last two bids are by the same bidder and apparently of the same value.  What has happened is that the first bid was winning, but the bidder thinks it's still undervalued and is worried he will be outbid.  The second bid is a higher one (by at least the bid increment) to increase his chances of winning the auction.  He still only has to pay a higher price if somebody else bids successfully in between the two values.  The time between the two bids is irrelevant.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

15 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

It's because of the way ebay bidding works and possibly not widely known. 

If you look at the bidding history, you can often see the last two bids are by the same bidder and apparently of the same value.  What has happened is that the first bid was winning, but the bidder thinks it's still undervalued and is worried he will be outbid.  The second bid is a higher one (by at least the bid increment) to increase his chances of winning the auction.  He still only has to pay a higher price if somebody else bids successfully in between the two values.  The time between the two bids is irrelevant.

So effectively you can bid what you are prepared to pay at most and unless more bidding occurs it stays at the previous highest bid, your 'highest' bid only coming into effect if someone else bids in between the two amounts.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

40 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

So effectively you can bid what you are prepared to pay at most and unless more bidding occurs it stays at the previous highest bid, your 'highest' bid only coming into effect if someone else bids in between the two amounts.

53181634.jpg.179f025cbb48ef9e143e491504f12e2d.jpg

• Like 3
  • Funny 3

4 hours ago, RailroadRich said:

Someone can increase their "maximum bid". That will usually appear as a bid again but at the same price. The original bidder might really want the item & potentially sees competition. 

eBay encourages you to 'bid again'. They like to sow fears that you might lose the item otherwise.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

1 hour ago, Paul H Vigor said:

eBay encourages you to 'bid again'. They like to sow fears that you might lose the item otherwise.

Definitely. If it's something that I like, but don't actually need and there's plenty about, I'll generally put in a lowish bid. 

If it's a bit of Unobtainium like my earlier post, then I'll go quite a bit higher, but in either case, I don't look at it again until I get the Pay Now notification.

• Like 4

As with any auction never bid more than you are willing to pat for it. 

Too many people at auctions (especially those in salesrooms) get carried away with a  macho attitutde of Gotta have it and stop that other bloke.  That's why things sometimes go for silly money.

• Agree 5

7 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

As with any auction never bid more than you are willing to pat for it. 

Head and stomach simultaneously?  :-)

With all ebay auctions, I decide what would be the maximum I'll pay for it and stick to that.  If one or two chest-beating loons decide they have to have it and push past my own "valuation", I let them get on with it.

Of course, I'm completely aware that my maximum might be anothers silly bu@@er price!  :-)

Edited by Hroth
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

"Model is in excellent condition" says the blurb

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/294987219203?hash=item44ae9bc103:g:wrAAAOSwCWJigk0u

Apart from that is it has had the bejeebus ripped out of it, its entrails discarded in the box, not even a motor remains....

• Like 3
  • Funny 1

3 minutes ago, John M Upton said:

"Model is in excellent condition" says the blurb

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/294987219203?hash=item44ae9bc103:g:wrAAAOSwCWJigk0u

Apart from that is it has had the bejeebus ripped out of it, its entrails discarded in the box, not even a motor remains....

But, at least you can see what you're getting and it's competitively priced for a bodyshell offering. There's lots of Lima/Hornby bodyshells for considerably more and they don't come with a rolling chassis either!

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, Hroth said:

But, at least you can see what you're getting and it's competitively priced for a bodyshell offering. There's lots of Lima/Hornby bodyshells for considerably more and they don't come with a rolling chassis either!

I have rebuilt and restored a fair few Proto 2000 GP's over the years, many of them from a derelict condition so this is still a tempter for the body shell but to use the words 'Model is in an excellent condition' is rather taking the mickey....

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, John M Upton said:

I have rebuilt and restored a fair few Proto 2000 GP's over the years, many of them from a derelict condition so this is still a tempter for the body shell but to use the words 'Model is in an excellent condition' is rather taking the mickey....

If you know your way round the make, or model, I think that there's bargains to be had amongst the broken, bodged and incomplete that other potential buyers will simply walk past.

I've always found that and not just with trains. Often worth doing a little research.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4