EBay madness

Marcyg

There's some other chancer asking £39 for a £20 note.

Which I could understand if they were obsolete collectors items.

I imagine that not too long ago, trying to sell in current circulation money for more than the face value would have been considered theft from the crown and you'd have ended up swinging from the gallows.

Edited by MrWolf
Clarinet
  • Like 4
  • Funny 3

4 hours ago, MrWolf said:

I imagine that not too long ago, trying to sell in current circulation money for more than the face value would have been considered theft from the crown and you'd have ended up swinging from the gallows.

Off-topic but slightly related to the above, my uncle restored sorry rebuilt a farmhouse that belonged to “coiners”, those resourceful folk in days gone by who would pare slivers of gold and silver from the King’s Coin (which in those days were of silver and gold) and then melt down the slivers thus gained to mould into new coins! Whole valley full of them, kept secret by fear of reprisals if anyone talked…

Of course, they were eventually found (when the treasury realised that coins were getting smaller!) and then they were hung, drawn and quartered the lot of them, men, women and children, and their houses burnt down and the stones torn down and thrown to the winds.

Hence my uncle buying an “empty” plot of farmland full of random house stones to find and rebuild the house with; and coins having serrated edges - to stop it from happening again!

I suppose the punishments may have been lessened since those days, Mr Wolf!!

Meanwhile …

Anybody else noted an abundance of Hornby 0-6-0 Sentinel locos for sale on eBay?! Prices ranging from £98-£114? The eBay madness, though, is that the 0-4-0 versions seem to be priced higher (up to £170!)

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

8 hours ago, Paul H Vigor said:

Apparently he will sell it to dummies!

Sounds like a publishing niche.

"Model Locomotive Restoration for Dummies" anyone?

2 hours ago, SteveyDee68 said:

Anybody else noted an abundance of Hornby 0-6-0 Sentinel locos for sale on eBay?! Prices ranging from £98-£114? The eBay madness, though, is that the 0-4-0 versions seem to be priced higher (up to £170!)

Haven't really been looking since I got the MSC* one from Bure Valley Models for £87.  I'd looked on eBay and had been discouraged by the considerable markups over the Hornby website price. A quick bit of Googling revealed some more friendly prices. I think many of the 0-4-0 ones are drifting into "L@@K RARE!" territory, encouraging the hopeful to nudge prices up.

* Spent a large proportion of its working life relatively local, compared to the other liveries on offer. And I wanted one to go with my fleet of 0-4-0 Sentinels.

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, SteveyDee68 said:

Off-topic but slightly related to the above, my uncle restored sorry rebuilt a farmhouse that belonged to “coiners”, those resourceful folk in days gone by who would pare slivers of gold and silver from the King’s Coin (which in those days were of silver and gold) and then melt down the slivers thus gained to mould into new coins! Whole valley full of them, kept secret by fear of reprisals if anyone talked…

Of course, they were eventually found (when the treasury realised that coins were getting smaller!) and then they were hung, drawn and quartered the lot of them, men, women and children, and their houses burnt down and the stones torn down and thrown to the winds.

Hence my uncle buying an “empty” plot of farmland full of random house stones to find and rebuild the house with; and coins having serrated edges - to stop it from happening again!

I suppose the punishments may have been lessened since those days, Mr Wolf!!

The punishment for coiners was burning at the stake. Being hung drawn and quartered was only applied to men anyway. The children would not be executed but just left to fend for themselves

13 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

I've never heard anyone boasting that they are well hanged?...

If they've been well hanged, I don't think they're in much of a position to boast about anything else...

• Funny 4

11 minutes ago, Hroth said:

If they've been well hanged, I don't think they're in much of a position to boast about anything else...

The subtle difference is 'are' rather than 'been' 😉

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

The punishment for coiners was burning at the stake. Being hung drawn and quartered was only applied to men anyway. The children would not be executed but just left to fend for themselves

Ooh! I’d say I stand corrected, but my uncle did quite a lot of research as he had to build it back the way it was originally (conservation area) which meant working from an engraving he found in a very old newspaper, and he dug up quite a lot of information about the families, their trials etc

It was some 35 years ago he was doing this - I may have misremembered his grim tale behind his “new” house!

Edited by SteveyDee68
Realised I had missed a decade!! 🫢
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, SteveyDee68 said:

Ooooh! Jealous!! Now that should be listed under eBay Good Buys!

Nahhhh....

If you go to Bure Valley Models and search for sentinel, they have three 0-6-0s and one 0-4-0 in stock,  all at the same price...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SteveyDee68 said:

Meanwhile …

No, but, I have just bought a 4wDH M.S.C. version from Hatton's second hand for £69. I don't know if that is madness?

Edited by PieGuyRob
Incorrect grammar.
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Hroth said:

Yeah, that would be stretching things a bit too far, I think.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 3

7 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Also known as coin 'clipping'.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I thought burning at the stake, at least in England, was an ecclesiastical punishment (the Church had the power to try people in courts for the likes of heresy, witchcraft, theft from the Church &c).  For heretics and witches, it was considered merciful as the fire purged and purified their souls and enabled the to enter heaven.  

Coining was treason, as the coinage was guaranteed by the king and crimes against him were classed as such.  Defacing coinage was treason as well.  The usual punishment was hanging; high treason attracted the further punishment of drawing after being hanged but not to death (drawing is the removal of entrails while the victim was still alive, and dead or not cut into quarters, which were distributed to cities that considered it an honour to publicly display them).  It was used for rebellion, major crimes against the crown, and espionage in wartime. 

Hd&q in England and Wales dates from Edward 1 ‘Longshanks’ time, and the first notable use of it was against Dafydd ap Gruffydd, who declared himself Prince of Wales following the death of his older brother Llewellyn in 1292; he was very quickly hunted down and captured.  Other famous victims were William Wallace and Hugh Despenser, and I’d suggest that Despenser probably deserved it.  Horrible man.

TTBOMK, no women or children ever suffered this particular punishment, but children, even infants, could be and were publicly hanged.  All such punishments were carried out publicly and were highly popular!  Nobles were executed by axe, but were subject to hd&q as were all high traitors. 

Edited by The Johnster
  • Informative/Useful 3

18 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

I thought burning at the stake, at least in England, was an ecclesiastical punishment (the Church had the power to try people in courts for the likes of heresy, witchcraft, theft from the Church &c).  For heretics and witches, it was considered merciful as the fire purged and purified their souls and enabled the to enter heaven.  

Coining was treason, as the coinage was guaranteed by the king and crimes against him were classed as such.  Defacing coinage was treason as well.  The usual punishment was hanging; high treason attracted the further punishment of drawing after being hanged but not to death (drawing is the removal of entrails while the victim was still alive, and dead or not cut into quarters, which were distributed to cities that considered it an honour to publicly display them).  It was used for rebellion, major crimes against the crown, and espionage in wartime. 

Hd&q in England and Wales dates from Edward 1 ‘Longshanks’ time, and the first notable use of it was against Dafydd ap Gruffydd, who declared himself Prince of Wales following the death of his older brother Llewellyn in 1292; he was very quickly hunted down and captured.  Other famous victims were William Wallace and Hugh Despenser, and I’d suggest that Despenser probably deserved it.  Horrible man.

TTBOMK, no women or children ever suffered this particular punishment, but children, even infants, could be and were publicly hanged.  All such punishments were carried out publicly and were highly popular!  Nobles were executed by axe, but were subject to hd&q as were all high traitors. 

Sign of the times! I read hd&q and thought "bloomin' Health & Safety.....!

• Funny 4

• RMweb Gold

A few years ago I was passing a church in Cardiff that has a 20’ crucifix outside with a Jesus on it, as catholic churches do.  It was being repaired and Jesus was having his paintwork redone, all with full h&s, scaffolding, railings, helmets, the works.  Felt a bit guilty for thinking the concept of a h&s crucifixion to be a bt amusing, albeit grimly!

• Funny 2

5 hours ago, Hroth said:

Nahhhh....

If you go to Bure Valley Models and search for sentinel, they have three 0-6-0s and one 0-4-0 in stock,  all at the same price...

They sure do! Having bought the MSC and BPA versions at a little under RRP from the local model shop, I suppose I might “justify” completing the trio with a third (cheaper) one from here! 

I also thought your purchase might have been second hand, but these are all brand new! Result!!

Update:

What am I doing?! “Justifying” another Sentinel to “complete the trio”?! I need to get this addiction to collecting shunting locos under control … I have committed to buying six shunting locos in various stages of preproduction already!! 

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1