EBay madness

Marcyg

This little gem is presumably modelled on a line where the NIMBY's wanted a smoke free railway in days of yore?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VINTAGE-RETRO-WALL-ART-METAL-WALL-OLD-FASHIONED-STEAM-TRAIN-97CM-WIDE-/321300352989?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item4acefe4fdd

What a load of cr rubbish! and seventy quid! :O :no:

Super detail consists of the numberplates, some wire handrails, Romford/Markits wheels and a coat of paint as far as I can see...oh and Real Coal in the bunker...

The 6400 were auto fitted, and were much the same to look at as the later cab 5700 class (8750), but with smaller wheels (The Romfords look bigger than the Hornby wheels to me!). Used in South Wales amongst other places.

So...someone wanted an Auto-fitted Pannier?

64xx are generally smaller than 57xx and have a flat top to the tank/boiler structure, so this rather crude effort does not pass muster (Since when do oversize wheels (exaggerating the already incorrect ride height!) bent wire handrails and numbers fitted askew count as super-detailing?) The wheels should be 14 spoke 18mm (representing 4' 7½") not 18 spoke 20 or 21 mm (This diameter would be correct for a 54xx, but not the number of spokes.)

I did the handrails on one of these many years ago and repainted/weathered her, but then the Mainline version came along...... (The body is stuck in a drawer somewhere (GWR shirtbutton' on one side and 'cycling lion' on the other - the overall dirty grey hiding the colour - I keep finding her and trying to decide what to do with her - refurbish? dump? Inevitably she goes back in the drawer. I suppose I should at least fit her with a chassis and put her to keep company with my Mainline, K's and Gaiety panniers.

But even as/when I'm looking for locos in my era (BR/SR Steam) and folks are asking much more than I'm prepared to pay, I have to say I've seldom seen an RTR at that high a price auctioned, most of the lunatic prices I see tend to be of the "Buy It Now" variety from a couple of prominent and perpetual "vintage/antique" dealers...

Recent Hornby items currently going for silly amounts:

SIlver Royal Class 67

HST power cars in current FGW livery

Mk3s in current FGW livery (particularly the TRFB and TGS; the TS and TF have been going for less since Hornby released another batch of them).

Mk3s in East Coast livery

HST power cars in blue/grey livery

My predictions for the future include the forthcoming 67006 in Royal livery - once that's sold out I reckon it'll reach high prices on ebay. The forthcoming HST in Executive livery is likely to go the same way too.

• RMweb Premium

My predictions for the future include the forthcoming 67006 in Royal livery - once that's sold out I reckon it'll reach high prices on ebay. The forthcoming HST in Executive livery is likely to go the same way too.

The Royal claret 67 isn't a limited edition, but only available from Hornby Direct. So, in theory, it shouldn't fetch silly money.

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Gold
  • RMweb Gold

• RMweb Gold

The bidding war on this Vollmer coal staithe was quite tame compared with some wars of late but can anyone explain WHY???  I bought one quite cheaply a while back (the bucket is often missing) and butchered it so I could never reinstate mine. 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ho-00-oo-coal-staithes-swivel-crane-ideal-for-steam-engine-shed-merchants-/121252493308?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&autorefresh=true&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&nma=true&si=2HCQfTM02oHFGvgJJR6tb38059s%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

How is that "expertly re-identified"? It looks like hand lettered sellotape stuck on the side! Still it should come off without any problem. It takes more than mere lettering to convert a camping coach in any case and why should "rolls smoothly" be of interest in something that will only decorate a siding? Still it did only sell for £9.99...

How is that "expertly re-identified"? It looks like hand lettered sellotape stuck on the side! Still it should come off without any problem. It takes more than mere lettering to convert a camping coach in any case and why should "rolls smoothly" be of interest in something that will only decorate a siding? Still it did only sell for £9.99...

I think someone's been influenced by the Nov 2013 RM :D.

Yes, I know it's gostude (anag.) and I shouldn't be surprised, but still...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TRIANG-Hornby-RML15-MODEL-LAND-TEA-SHOPPE-KIT-NEW-p-/220741333449?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item33653571c9

EDIT: When I checked in the Grandmothers section, gostude was selling 7 of his.

Edited by 'CHARD

• RMweb Gold

I could be hoist with my own petard here!  One thing that really annoys me is replacement headcodes for BR diesels when they can't get the '3' correct.  (It should have a straight top)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/Trains-Railway-Models-/479/m.html?item=151213614880&pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item233508a720&_ssn=ade7567