NGS 50' Inspection Saloon - first samples received

Revolution Ben

wow. I have been arguing with myself whether I should build a model in N or OO. The old what can I fit into this space, do I have the eyesight to go N and is there enough decent RTR models available to keep me going if my building skills fail. I think this may just have made up my mind. That is a truly amazing model.

• 4 months later...

And already the first couple have appeared on that well-known auction site! :scratchhead:

This winds me up quite a bit. It happend with the Queen Marys as well I believe. Presumably people (members) are buying them with the intention of selling them at a profit. That wouldn't be an issue if they were standard commercial releases but they are limited editions from a society funded by its members, who are all contributing towards these kits. Its one of the reasons join the society is to support N gauge kits/projects, even the ones I'm not interested in. I did not intend my membership fee to help others make a profit from selling them on. I'd be really wound up if I try to buy one in a few months as a member from the shop to discover they've all sold out, yet are still avaliable at a higer price on-line.

I can understand buying an extra one for a mate (although for only £15 they really ought to join) and those selling them on in a few years as interests change, restocking etc but anyone selling now presumably never intended to purchase it for themselves. Not a lot that can be done about it but it is annoying

I suppose I can understand people feeling upset at reselling, particularly certain liveries are unavailable. However I don't really see it as a problem. All members have an equal opportunity to pre-order all liveries. If more people had pre-ordered livery X then most likely extra running numbers would have been commissioned. The only people who miss out are those who have tried to order later on. This is really no different to any other model since most models are produced in small batches these days. The NGS has done second runs of Stoves and Snow plows so I suspect this will not be the only chance anyone gets to buy these models.

Ultimately models that end up on eBay have still be purchased from the NGS and so contribute to its coffers. Other members are not subsidising anything here. If people on eBay choose to pay over-the-odds for a model then I guess that is their choice to make.

Also, someone's interests might have changed in the intervening time between placing an order and receiving the item. If I remember correctly, my pre-order for an inspection saloon was placed a year ago. Not that mine is going anywhere near eBay, though!

Fair points - I guess some people might have changed their mind.

It just seems to go against the ethos of a volunteer society, funded by its members, to buy something exclusive then sell

It just seems to go against the ethos of a volunteer society, funded by its members, to buy something exclusive then sell it on, especially of

It just seems to go against the ethos of a volunteer society, funded by its members, to buy something exclusive then sell it on, especially if it's for a profit. Really I'd rather people put some of their eBay money to joining the society so there's more kits/projects for all of us.

• RMweb Premium

The two on eBay are from the same user (smbgc) and come with the claim: "ordered earlier in year but now not required".

You'd think it'd be easier to request your deposit back from the NGS and let another member have the model.

Given the starting bid (£24.99) it feels a bit like profiteering. There's nothing wrong with people selling on models but this kind of thing doesn't feel right.

Hopefully they won't go for much more over the NGS selling price - it's sad when they sell for more than the cost of the model plus a year's membership. Perhaps the NGS should put membership packs on eBay?

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

Perhaps the NGS should put membership packs on eBay?

That is by far the best suggestion. It has the advantage of being fair to all parties.

I can understand people who have missed out on a particular livery feeling miffed by reselling but in other cases I don't really see a problem. The original cost of the model goes to the NGS anyway and benefits all members. I would rather see a model sell-out (even with eBay sales) than have old stock tied up in the NGS shop. Leaving a significant percentage of models from a run unsold would hurt society funds and future projects far more than people speculating on eBay with limited edition models.

I have to admit ebaying an earlier NGS model simply because when I opened up the package I found they had sent me the wrong one. It just so happened to be a free listing weekend on ebay so I put it on there instead of paying the postage to return the unwanted one. As for the ebay listing I put in on at a start price and postage that covered the cost of the model, postage and the paypal/ebay fees so being far higher than the models cost and sold it for that. Did attract some criticism from those who do not understand the fees charge by ebay and paypal and at the same time an angry email from the US from someone whose bid had been blocked as that ebay weekend free listing was for UK sales only. Just hope the inspection salon turns up as the right version.

Mine arrived today, absolutely beautiful, well done to the society for commissioning such a stunning model.

David

I must concur with this post, I received the BR blue/grey version yesterday and I am really pleased with it. Thanks to all involved at the N-Gauge society!

Linners

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

It's great to hear from those members who are enjoying their models - thanks very much for posting!

As for the ebay sales, well TBH there is not a lot we can do. Once a member has purchased a model then it's theirs to do with as they wish - and ebaying it is little different really to selling it on down the club. Though of course technically it's second-hand.

As most of our members know, the NGS cannot sell to non-members for tax reasons; so the only way we could ebay our models would be if they were "bundled" with membership. But then it just becomes something else for the shopkeeper to do, and certainly at this moment we do not wish to divert any resources away from getting models posted out to members who have ordered and paid for them!

The bundling option may be worth considering in the future, if sales stagnate on any particular model, but with the exception of our RTP building (St Ives Corn Exchange, which has not sold as well as we'd have liked) so far demand from our members has ensured our models sell through within a reasonable time frame.

cheers

Ben A.

Should I be concerned that I have not heard anything about mine? Probably just that they have a lot of orders to plough through.

i wouldnt think so, theres probably a lot to post out and its all done by volunteers so cant really complain... all good things come to he who waits....

i ordered another snow plow and weltrol kit at the same time as paying the rest of the inspection saloon money.

• RMweb Gold

I nearly forgot to pick my pre ordered EWS one up at Warley.

Luckily i did remember and in the last few days its had the wheels painted and roof weathered etc. A few other small jobs to do on it and it will then be ready for inspecting the track and lineside on the layout!!

It is a superb model though.

Ian

• RMweb Premium

Should I be concerned that I have not heard anything about mine? Probably just that they have a lot of orders to plough through.

If you've sent of the ballance of payment then you should get your model before too long. If not then it's worthwhile sending an email to the shop asking how much you have to pay. Don't forget that the shop have several hundred of these to send out and with Christmas approaching the postal system will get a little slower than normal.

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

Archived