NGS 50' Inspection Saloon - first samples received

Revolution Ben

Guest tony graham

I placed my orders in August for 2 saloons & September for a further 3 saloons and as yet I am still waiting for delivery.

Have emailed and awaiting a reply.....

• RMweb Premium

I placed my orders in August for 2 saloons & September for a further 3 saloons and as yet I am still waiting for delivery.

Have emailed and awaiting a reply.....

Hi

You have paid the balance I assume. The shop is not allowed to re-charge the card you used for the deposit (assuming you paid by card) this was mentioned in the current journal and previously on the website.

Cheers

Paul

• RMweb Gold

I think the main problem is that the local post office only allows them to send out a small number of parcels each day.

Then we are told that stamp prices have to rise because Royal Mail traffic is less than it used to be. I would say that the country is going to the dogs but that would, quite reasonably, cause protest from dog-lovers. The canines could probably manage it better. At least they might not bite their own staff.

Guest tony graham

Hi

You have paid the balance I assume. The shop is not allowed to re-charge the card you used for the deposit (assuming you paid by card) this was mentioned in the current journal and previously on the website.

Cheers

Paul

I assumed that if I paid the deposit by card they would take the rest out by card? How else am I supposed to pay if they can not charge the card again.....?

Also I have not received the current Journal, the last Journal I received was issue 5/12.

I assumed that if I paid the deposit by card they would take the rest out by card? How else am I supposed to pay if they can not charge the card again.....?

You need to pay the balance as a separate transaction. You are welcome to use your card again but the NGS is not allowed under data proection laws to retain your card details and do it automatically.

Instructions for paying the balance are in the latest journal (not helpful if you have not received it admitedly). They are also on the website.

http://www.ngaugesociety.com/index.php?page=shop-notes-4-12

• RMweb Premium

You need to pay the balance as a separate transaction. You are welcome to use your card again but the NGS is not allowed under data proection laws to retain your card details and do it automatically.

Instructions for paying the balance are in the latest journal (not helpful if you have not received it admitedly). They are also on the website.

http://www.ngaugesociety.com/index.php?page=shop-notes-4-12

Hi

Thanks that was the link I was looking for but couldn't find it.

Cheers

Paul

Mine arrived yesterday afternoon (BR Maroon).

Superb! Guess that we can look forward to some Porthole stock soon on this underframe. Do hope so.

Not sure why you think the Inspection Saloon specifically should lead on to Porthole Stock... The Saloon's 50ft underframe is only reusable for a full brake or a kitchen car (neither in the Porthole style) whereas the 57ft underframe from the pre-war Stanier Coaches (which have been around for 4 or 5 years now) is reusable for several variations of Porthole Stock (the Porthole Coaches were really little more than a cosmetic variation of the pre-war Staniers)

• RMweb Gold

Not sure why you think the Inspection Saloon specifically should lead on to Porthole Stock... The Saloon's 50ft underframe is only reusable for a full brake or a kitchen car (neither in the Porthole style) whereas the 57ft underframe from the pre-war Stanier Coaches (which have been around for 4 or 5 years now) is reusable for several variations of Porthole Stock (the Porthole Coaches were really little more than a cosmetic variation of the pre-war Staniers)

Sorry! Not thinking about length as I should have been. Or indeed about the existing Period 3 stock.

But since you mention a kitchen car..... although that would have very different equipment below the solebar. Full brake would, of course, be more generally useful. I'd take several of those.

The way extra boxes and parts are often added could mean the basic underframe is the same (solebar/trussing/headstocks/close coupling) but with more boxes added - look at the underside of the Farish Mk.1 Pullmans which share the same basic underframe but with varied (as appropriate) added boxes that fit into moulded holes.

Farish have already announced the Full Brake - that's going to be very useful.

My Blue & Grey example arrived today (I missed Warley and only sent in the balance just before Christmas) and I am very impressed. Well done to all concerned. It might have been a little cheaper was my only thought, but just like the snowplough, it's a useful prototype and fits a niche nicely in the rolling stock I am very slowly amassing!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest tony graham

I last contacted the NGS shop on the 3rd of this month asking about dispatch of my 4 saloons, and also offering them my card number and I am still waiting a reply from the NGS shop.. It is rather annoying when you hear of people ordering in December and even this month receiving theirs already. The society was quick enough to take my deposit in August/September by Debit Card.

Has anyone else had or having a problem obtaining theirs or having contact problems with the NGS shop? 

I have again today sent an email and stated that if no contact is made and the order is not fulfilled within the next 2 weeks then I wish to have my deposits returned.

• RMweb Gold

Hello Tony,

I'm not directly involved with the shop, but will do my best to answer your query.

The shop does not keep credit card details on file. I think this is for data protection reasons. So in effect the deposit and the final purchase are two different transactions.

You should receive your models within 28 days of sending your card details to pay the balance. Your note above seems to imply (and I appreciate I may have misinterpreted this) that you sent the card details to complete the purchase on Jan 3rd. Which means that you should get your models by Jan 31st.

This is within your two-week "cut off" point so hopefully all will be well. If not then on behalf of the NGS I would apologise and say of course your deposits will be refunded. Shame though - they really are very nice models!

cheers

Ben A.

(NGS vice president)

Guest tony graham

Hi Ben,

My main gripe is the fact I've had no contact from them although I have made contact with them. I also think that pre orders should be felt with first.

Has anyone else had or having a problem obtaining theirs or having contact problems with the NGS shop? 

I have to admit your experience does not sound typical. I received a polite phone call from Ray the weekend after Warley giving me the chance to complete my order. It sounds like you have been unlucky.

Guest tony graham

I have to admit your experience does not sound typical. I received a polite phone call from Ray the weekend after Warley giving me the chance to complete my order. It sounds like you have been unlucky.

I have received nothing apart from an email from Ray on the 2nd of Jan saying he has hundreds of unopened envelopes and is recieveing more everyday and is currently dealing with them. Hence my work mate who ordered his a couple of weeks ago has already received his.

Very poor service, and has put me off ordering anything else from them.

• RMweb Gold

Hello Tony

There seem to be some contradictions here.

In your note above you said that you emailed the shop on Jan 3rd and had heard nothing.  Yet then you say they had already emailed you on Jan 2nd and explained the scale of the task they are facing.

I guess when there are that many orders being processed it is possible that some may be dealt with before others; there could be any number of reasons for this; for example they might spend a day doing a particular livery to keep things simple and your chum just happened to want the "right" livery.

Given they are all volunteers I think you're being a little harsh to describe the service as poor, however that is your privilege and as I said, if you choose to cancel your order then of course your deposit will be refunded.

Otherwise, I am certain they are working their way through the orders as quickly and fairly as they reasonably can, and you will get your models soon.

cheers

Ben A.

NGS VP.

Very poor service, and has put me off ordering anything else from them.

Another member had a moan about the response times from the shop, comparing it to Hattons. But the society is not a shop trying make a profit - it is a non-profit organisation trying to provide the best service in the most cost effective way within the limits of volunteer support. While some members only join to purchase the society kits and models this is not the role of the society but the means to an end to support the society. 

I must be careful, I may even volunteer my time!

When such an endeavour is being run by volunteers (with such peaks and troughs in demand as these models create, not always timed predictably) you have to manage your expectations.

I have been quite satisfied, not least because the shop newsletter is perfectly honest about the service they deliver. I know if I order from there, I need to be patient, and I can live with that.

Frankly I have spent much more time and effort waiting for long-announced items to appear on the box-shifters' websites and to turn up in stock. By the time a TGS appears, I wonder how long apart my first and last purchases to complete my Dapol HST will be, for example!

• RMweb Premium

My main gripe is the fact I've had no contact from them although I have made contact with them. I also think that pre orders should be felt with first.

Have you sent off the balance of your payment? If so then you should get your model sooner rather than later. If not then get it sent off! Don't forget that emails get lost just as letters can go astray in the post. You may have been unlucky. If you've sent your payment drop the shop an email and ask them if they received it.

Ray and Carol don't have time to chase every member for payment. They're volunteers not paid staff and have a life outside of the Society! 

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

Had my inspection saloon a week or so now and just about to start adding the detailing bits n bobs.

Anyone offer some guidance as to what goes where, not so much the pipe work but more so I seem to have a collection of coupling arrangements and I'm just not clear what goes where.

Thanks in advance

• 4 weeks later...

Had my inspection saloon a week or so now and just about to start adding the detailing bits n bobs.

Anyone offer some guidance as to what goes where, not so much the pipe work but more so I seem to have a collection of coupling arrangements and I'm just not clear what goes where.

Thanks in advance

Second question now that I think about it is can anyone advise how to split the chassis and the carriage body safely. quite fancy putting some big wigs inside to enjoy the trip.

Bump to see if anyone can help.

Just not sure what detailing its go where, anyone confirm?

Archived