NGS 50' Inspection Saloon - first samples received

Revolution Ben

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

The NGS has received the first Engineering Prototype (EP) samples of its forthcoming 50' LMS Inspection Saloon.

The model is being produced by Bachmann, and features close coupling, NEM sockets, wire detailing and a moulded interior.

Two versions are being produced - original with end cab vent and BR modified with air horns on the roof and some other detail differences.

post-420-0-21526400-1329511235_thumb.jpg

6 liveries will be available - LMS Maroon, BR Carmine and cream, BR maroon, BR blue grey, LMS Maroon with full yellow ends (1977 onwards) and EWS Maroon and buff.

More info on the NGS website news pages and in the next NGS journal.

cheers

Ben A.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks David,

The timescale is working out OK so far. Every RTR model we have had previously has been delivered right up to the wire, leaving the volunteers who sort and pack them for orders struggling!

We are hoping this one will be with the shop in plenty of time for Warley!

Now we are awaiting the livery artwork; then liveried samples, and once they are approved the production run!

cheers

Ben A.

Ben,

Looks fantastic, and the n gauge journal just dropped through the door too. One additional order for a BR blue and grey saloon will be on its way to the society shop on the strength of this - [though like Karhedron, I'll have to find an excuse for this midland migrant to a west country location].

For those that haven't tried them the society kits are excellent.

Regards

Matt Wood

Exciting to see the pics Ben!

I put my order in for three of these end of Dec, so I'll be itching to get my hands on these by the time they are posted...Especially if you keep posting pics of them! (not that I'm complaining :D)

Got me journal this morning and I think it's time I try a couple of kits...Should keep me busy for the wait :D

Regards

Lee :)

• RMweb Gold

Hi Lee (and others)

Thanks for the kind words - I have to say having handled them I was very impressed and I am sure when painted and lettered they'll look even better! We wanted to do something a little bit special for this, the NGS 45th anniversary year, and I am increasingly confident that these will not disappoint!

We are aiming to put a couple more pics, from the side, in the next issue of the journal.

And the next stage, once the paint diagrams are approved, is painted samples. I think it's unlikely we'll see these in time for the NGS AGM in May but it's possible; either way I will put up photos here and on our website as soon as I can.

cheers

Ben A.

• RMweb Gold

Early exhilaration quickly evaporated when I discovered NGS stood for 'N' gauge Society. Not one I'd build but I would grab a 4mm RTR model. Still the model looks good and I wish you all well.

You could always switch to N......;)

Tom.

• RMweb Premium

One additional order for a BR blue and grey saloon will be on its way to the society shop on the strength of this - [though like Karhedron, I'll have to find an excuse for this midland migrant to a west country location].

No need to find an excuse as in BR days they travelled far and wide. About ten years ago I saw one in LMS crimson with full yellow ends go through Great Malvern (firmly in BR(W)) behind a Fragonset class 31.

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

The schedule is still to have the models ready for collection at Warley by those who have preordered, and any left will go on sale after all preorders are fulfilled.

The artwork for the liveries will be starting soon (it may already have been started) and once this is approved then liveried samples will be prepared for checking. I anticipate seeing livery samples sometime in June/July, though it's just possible they may be ready before the AGM in which case we'll put them on show there.

Once the liveried samples are approved the full prouction begins and it's just a question of waiting for the boat from China, and of course the clearing procedures at Felixtowe which have caused some frayed nerves in previous years!

cheers

Ben A.

At the moment this model is selling faster than anything we've done before, which is obviously great news.

• RMweb Gold

Hello eastwestdivide,

Yes, they represent the original LMS build versions in the 45XXX range. The BR-built 395XXX series have slightly different window positions. Our model represents the 45XXX types in both as-built form and in the later BR-modified form. Having said that, during the long lives of these vehicles individual ones have been modified further; for example the cab centre window droplight has been removed on some, and at least one has had 4-CEP style hopper windows fitted.

The models we have done also feature the distinctive doorhandle lozenges, and door ventilators: even some of the LMS built versions did not feature these, however I thought they were a distinctive "spotting point" so worth doing the versions with them.

The liveries we have selected are all correct for the types we are doing.

cheers

Ben A.

It's a sign of how N gauge has come on when 4mm modellers are jealous of 'our' products!

I started in N due to lack of space - now is stick with it even if SWMBO gave me the whole upstairs!!

Yeah, but what a layout you'd have!!!!

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hello all,

The NGS has received painted samples of its forthcoming LMS 50' inspection saloon.

The models are now understood to be in full production, with delivery on schedule to allow members to collect their models at the Warley National Model Railway exhibition, or have them sent out the week immediately afterward.

The models feature a wealth of separately fitted details including wire water pipes, roof vents, folded footsteps, brake details, air horns and end air vents where appropriate.

Eight variants are being produced - the photograph below shows the versions in LMS lined maroon, BR carmine and cream, BR blue grey and EWS maroon.

post-420-0-07967100-1341606619_thumb.jpg

Also available are BR maroon with maroon ends, BR maroon with black ends, Preserved lined LMS with full yellow ends and LMS "austerity" unlined maroon.

post-420-0-91110100-1341606796_thumb.jpg

As well as the details mentioned above, the models feature fully detailed interiors. Unfortunately the (prototypically) whited out/frosted windows in the toilet and kitchen areas mean the moulded kitchen counter, cooker, lavatory and sink may never be seen - so I have uploaded the CAD drawing to prove they're there!

post-420-0-28828800-1341607128_thumb.jpg

So far the pre-orders have been exceptional, and the NGS is grateful to all members who are kindly supporting this project during what are straitened times. We are hoping to announce an RTR product for 2013 at the N Gauge International Show at Leamington in September, along with a new modern kit for next year too.

cheers

Ben A.

Archived