Copenhagen Fields

CF MRC

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

NER green is pretty bright!

6CB420D2-E36D-4C5A-BA44-3E1C0798FF82.jpe

Rummaging through a tobacco tin, I very luckily found some 12 spoke 3’9” wheels that Denys Brownlee had roughed out 30+ years ago: these were correct for the very conspicuous trailing radial truck and just needed finish turning. The front bogie wheels will have to be hand made. The basic chassis should be running soon. 

Tim

Edited by CF MRC
  • Like 11

Forgive my ignorance of all things 2mm scale and motors in tenders.

But is there not a torque reaction of the revolving shaft from tender to locomotive trying to rotate the locomotive? Or is the weight of the locomotive sufficient to alleviate this?

• RMweb Premium
47 minutes ago, D-A-T said:

Forgive my ignorance of all things 2mm scale and motors in tenders.

But is there not a torque reaction of the revolving shaft from tender to locomotive trying to rotate the locomotive? Or is the weight of the locomotive sufficient to alleviate this?

With a motor like this and the serious mass that will be this Raven 4-6-2 class there won’t be anything significant. On our A4s & A3s with a 1:4 gearbox on the end of the Portrscap motor then the tender will rattle if you give it full welly from start - but not with normal driving. 

Tim

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

They are only carrying wheels so no real stresses on them: the brass is also quite a tough alloy. It’s a technique I’ve used for driving wheels and carrying wheels on 2mm locos for the last 40 years, starting with a Johnson Single in 1977, albeit with steel wheel centre spokes. There are lots of plastic-centred  loco wheels out there. 

Tim

Edited by CF MRC
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Absolutely worth doing Tim and probably a lot quicker than scratchbuilding 4 wheels as per your original thoughts.

It is OK to fudge such things when a loco is going by on a layout and nobody can tell but for a close up photograph, which tends to happen a lot nowadays, it makes a worthwhile difference. 

• Like 1