Copenhagen Fields

CF MRC

9 hours ago, 2mmMark said:

It's a grave mistake to make 2mm/N models too dark.  If anything, it's better to make a them bit lighter.

Keith Armes reckoned to aim for a pastel-type approach to scenery colour and I think he was right.

That isn't just true of 2mm/N but of larger scales too although the depth modelled in 2mm/N is often greater (especially true of CF of course) and that too calls for that lighter touch.

The one thing that modellers of "historical" (say pre-1970) urban landscapes tend to get wrong is that they depict the sides of buildings in too light a shade. Roofs, and especially slate roofs, got washed down regularly by rain (and to some extent bleached by the UV rays of the sun) but the rough surfaces of brickwork and cement rendering collected soot from the atmosphere and had been collecting it in most cases since they were built. Indeed in some industrial towns like Stoke buildings would be encrusted with a measurable layer of soot and appear all but black in consequence. The Clean-air Acts that followed the dire smogs of the early 1950s have totally changed the situation today as wind and rain over the years have gradually muted the colour effects of the soot, making it easy to forget how things were. Some "public" buildings were actually physically washed down in the 1960s and for them the change was dramatic.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

10 Downing street was originally standard yellow brick colour, but two centuries of smog turned it black. When the facade was rebuilt in the 1960's, they had to paint new bricks black to retain its famously familiar looks.

• Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, bécasse said:

That isn't just true of 2mm/N but of larger scales too although the depth modelled in 2mm/N is often greater (especially true of CF of course) and that too calls for that lighter touch.

The one thing that modellers of "historical" (say pre-1970) urban landscapes tend to get wrong is that they depict the sides of buildings in too light a shade. Roofs, and especially slate roofs, got washed down regularly by rain (and to some extent bleached by the UV rays of the sun) but the rough surfaces of brickwork and cement rendering collected soot from the atmosphere and had been collecting it in most cases since they were built. Indeed in some industrial towns like Stoke buildings would be encrusted with a measurable layer of soot and appear all but black in consequence. The Clean-air Acts that followed the dire smogs of the early 1950s have totally changed the situation today as wind and rain over the years have gradually muted the colour effects of the soot, making it easy to forget how things were. Some "public" buildings were actually physically washed down in the 1960s and for them the change was dramatic.

I do recall blackened buildings in London of the early 1960s.  Even so, I would personally still avoid any form of dead black in 2mm scale.  Muted shades of grey will give the right sort of effect, along with careful consideration of where soot would build up.  The soot effects need to be built up slowly or there's a risk that it'll end up looking like an Ian Futers BR diesel.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

1 hour ago, 2mmMark said:

I do recall blackened buildings in London of the early 1960s.  Even so, I would personally still avoid any form of dead black in 2mm scale.  Muted shades of grey will give the right sort of effect, along with careful consideration of where soot would build up.  The soot effects need to be built up slowly or there's a risk that it'll end up looking like an Ian Futers BR diesel.

In my experience it is an effect best built up using black powder applied in many passes of a very soft brush. I use black powder poster paint (from a tin all but sixty years old) and a cosmetics brush intended for applying powder (but not this particular powder!) as face make-up. If one is applying it to modelled cement rendering it is best to find a period photo of a suitable prototype to ascertain the desired effect, finding such photos isn't difficult as there many were taken during the flush of postcard production in the Edwardian era. I also have an equally old tin of pale grey powder poster paint which I often use in the same way to tone down the effect of the black that I have previously applied, it is remarkable how quickly a totally realistic effect can be achieved in a way that wouldn't be possible with paint, even sprayed very thinly.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Following on from various discussions on the visibility of the YR tube platform, I decided to adjust both the diorama box and the platform roof itself, cutting back about 1/2” from the top of the latter.  This was achieved with a well known fine scale modelling instrument.
IMG_8867.jpeg?width=960&height=720&fit=b

The station track work is now much more visible and is complimented by some pleasant curves in the infrastructure. image.png?width=960&height=720&fit=bound
Next job will be to lay some temporary strip track so that we can get a train running for the MRC mini exhibition on 10th December at Keen House. 

Tim

• Like 18
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, CF MRC said:

Following on from various discussions on the visibility of the YR tube platform, I decided to adjust both the diorama box and the platform roof itself, cutting back about 1/2” from the top of the latter.  This was achieved with a well known fine scale modelling instrument.
IMG_8867.jpeg?width=960&height=720&fit=b

The station track work is now much more visible and is complimented by some pleasant curves in the infrastructure. image.png?width=960&height=720&fit=bound
Next job will be to lay some temporary strip track so that we can get a train running for the MRC mini exhibition on 10th December at Keen House. 

Tim

wheres the Hammer ?

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

• 2 weeks later...
20 hours ago, CF MRC said:

The standard stock also ran and looked the part. This train may get a new mechanism and act as a prototype for the gate stock which is currently at the design stage in the Jim Watt works.

The drawing office at JW Works has yet to commence work on this project as all staff are currently fully occupied in the erecting shop.  Thinking will hopefully commence soon!

Jim (MD,CEO, & General Factotum)

Edited by Caley Jim
Edit link
  • Like 3
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, CF MRC said:

In December, the MRC usually holds a pre-Christmas mini exhibition. The York Road tube diorama was having its first outing with a working train for the show. Whilst certain features such as the toilets and occupants are popular with all ages, I thought it was appropriate that the younger members of the audience get a preview of Santa Claus and his reindeer on a flight test. Having spent far too many hours making the underground tube station I wanted something nice and simple. Osborn Models came up trumps with a nice little 3DP of Santa in his sleigh with four reindeer out front.

IMG_8930.jpeg?width=960&height=720&fit=b

This had landed on the YR tube station roof and attracted many favourable comments from the audience, not least Phil Parker from BRM who was surprised to see such a model on CF.  In discussion, I indicated that I thought it was capable of improvement, especially in the motive power department; CF is, after all, 2mm FS.  Close examination reveals that the antlers and heads of the ‘reindeer’ pass a strong resemblance to a love child of a triceratops and a moose. There could be a case for an after-market bespoke antler etch if someone was very keen: I certainly didn’t fancy soldering up eight antlers from wire as an alternative. I then recollected that Preiser make some reindeer as a plastic moulding. Now these come as a very fine six pack in pairs, including four adorned with rather more plausible antlers.  The challenge with these models was that they come in pairs and two of them would have looked as if Santa had done an emergency brake application with their heads down grazing. These therefore required plastic surgery with a triangular neck re-section.

IMG_8932.jpeg?width=960&height=720&fit=b

With the other pair I moved the head around on one of them to create a bit more variation. The Preiser reindeer are not too steady on their feet (maybe it’s not just carrots they have on Christmas Eve) and so some sort of location was required. A centre pole was made from metal strip and cross pieces of 0.4mm brass wire soldered in place. This replaced the chunky 3DP structure which was actually quite weak. At this stage the reindeer underwent key hole surgery with a 0.4mm tungsten carbide drill to locate the cross pieces just behind their withers. The antlers were also trimmed a bit.

IMG_8933.jpeg?width=960&height=720&fit=b

After a fair bit of thinning down of the sleigh edges with a scalpel and very sharp chisel the whole assembly was given a puff of grey primer, to show any major defects.

IMG_8935.jpeg?width=960&height=720&fit=b

At this point I had a serious look at reindeer liveries on-line. They are very similar to dairy shorthorn cattle with a mixture of beige, yellow ochre, umber & white. The antlers would generally be darker shades. The noses are generally pink and of course one of them (Rudolph) has a red nose. Any bridles / tackle were painted on with a fine brush. The parcel load in the sleigh was augmented with extras and some are carrying the initials of the grandchildren. The gold lining on the sleigh was re-instated using a fine line gold marker pen.

IMG_8949.jpeg?width=960&height=720&fit=b

Finally, I thought that the sleigh ought to carry some aircraft recognition marks for Lapland. These are OH-JLP. Those of you that know about these things will recognise that OH is the symbol for  Finland and JLP is a shortened form of Joulopukki, Finnish for Santa Claus, or literally ‘Christmas Goat’. So now you know.

IMG_8937.jpeg?width=960&height=720&fit=b

Of course you could save yourself a great deal of work by purchasing a Modelu Santa & sleigh 3DP, which came out just as I started this project, but where’s the fun in that?

I look forward to seeing the grandchildren’s faces when they see Santa Claus on CF.

Tim

Wow...just, wow!

David

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, CF MRC said:

In December, the MRC usually holds a pre-Christmas mini exhibition. The York Road tube diorama was having its first outing with a working train for the show. Whilst certain features such as the toilets and occupants are popular with all ages, I thought it was appropriate that the younger members of the audience get a preview of Santa Claus and his reindeer on a flight test. Having spent far too many hours making the underground tube station I wanted something nice and simple. Osborn Models came up trumps with a nice little 3DP of Santa in his sleigh with four reindeer out front.

IMG_8930.jpeg?width=960&height=720&fit=b

This had landed on the YR tube station roof and attracted many favourable comments from the audience, not least Phil Parker from BRM who was surprised to see such a model on CF.  In discussion, I indicated that I thought it was capable of improvement, especially in the motive power department; CF is, after all, 2mm FS.  Close examination reveals that the antlers and heads of the ‘reindeer’ pass a strong resemblance to a love child of a triceratops and a moose. There could be a case for an after-market bespoke antler etch if someone was very keen: I certainly didn’t fancy soldering up eight antlers from wire as an alternative. I then recollected that Preiser make some reindeer as a plastic moulding. Now these come as a very fine six pack in pairs, including four adorned with rather more plausible antlers.  The challenge with these models was that they come in pairs and two of them would have looked as if Santa had done an emergency brake application with their heads down grazing. These therefore required plastic surgery with a triangular neck re-section.

IMG_8932.jpeg?width=960&height=720&fit=b

With the other pair I moved the head around on one of them to create a bit more variation. The Preiser reindeer are not too steady on their feet (maybe it’s not just carrots they have on Christmas Eve) and so some sort of location was required. A centre pole was made from metal strip and cross pieces of 0.4mm brass wire soldered in place. This replaced the chunky 3DP structure which was actually quite weak. At this stage the reindeer underwent key hole surgery with a 0.4mm tungsten carbide drill to locate the cross pieces just behind their withers. The antlers were also trimmed a bit.

IMG_8933.jpeg?width=960&height=720&fit=b

After a fair bit of thinning down of the sleigh edges with a scalpel and very sharp chisel the whole assembly was given a puff of grey primer, to show any major defects.

IMG_8935.jpeg?width=960&height=720&fit=b

At this point I had a serious look at reindeer liveries on-line. They are very similar to dairy shorthorn cattle with a mixture of beige, yellow ochre, umber & white. The antlers would generally be darker shades. The noses are generally pink and of course one of them (Rudolph) has a red nose. Any bridles / tackle were painted on with a fine brush. The parcel load in the sleigh was augmented with extras and some are carrying the initials of the grandchildren. The gold lining on the sleigh was re-instated using a fine line gold marker pen.

IMG_8949.jpeg?width=960&height=720&fit=b

Finally, I thought that the sleigh ought to carry some aircraft recognition marks for Lapland. These are OH-JLP. Those of you that know about these things will recognise that OH is the symbol for  Finland and JLP is a shortened form of Joulopukki, Finnish for Santa Claus, or literally ‘Christmas Goat’. So now you know.

IMG_8937.jpeg?width=960&height=720&fit=b

Of course you could save yourself a great deal of work by purchasing a Modelu Santa & sleigh 3DP, which came out just as I started this project, but where’s the fun in that?

I look forward to seeing the grandchildren’s faces when they see Santa Claus on CF.

Tim

Great work, Tim. I presume that the other five reindeer are resting until Christmas Eve?

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Wonderful Tim. 

Dont apologise for the length of posts its very inspiring. There is a considerable gap in my skills compared to yours but the posts do encourage one to  have a go. 

Don

• Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, CF MRC said:

It’s not really realistic modelling

Not sure if this is modest self-deprecation, or tongue-in-cheek irony, but your modelling creates the sort of realism most of us could only dream about and rarely reproduce in our own efforts!  I look forward to seeing it for myself at Railex next July 👍😊

David

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

What I was trying to say, was that we generally try to make models of complete scenes rather than buildings with e.g. walls missing so that you can see inside. But this tube scene has become a bit of an ‘educational model’ such as we used to have in museums. Virtual reality screens have now replaced many of these displays: I prefer models…

Tim

• Like 10