RMweb

How to get lynched at a model railway show

BR60103

Im not European, I'm English - Europeans are the people we traditionally have wars with!

No, the people the English traditionally had wars with were the French but the Prince of Wales (Edward not Charles) sorted all that out just in time to see off the Teutonic hordes. Most Europeans though are not French which is why we called London's largest terminus Waterloo. We really should have kept that as our Eurostar terminal it annoyed the heck out of them even though one of their main stations is named after the battle of Austerlitz.

Actually the English also traditionally had wars with the Scots, Welsh, Irish and each other. I guess they're just rotten neghbours and I wonder how much the Picts paid the Romans to wall the English in. :biggrin_mini2:

Today's triumph by the European Space Agency  must have had UKIP foaming at the mouth especially as the European Rosetta craft was built in Stevenage. 

Edited by Pacific231G
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Sorry Graham I'm not a secret EM person I'm quite open about my OO modelling I came out about it years ago.However it has to be admitted that I do have a sneaking respect for what the EM P4 SCALEFOUR modellers do.Awe inspiring stuff most of it.Of course that doesn't stop me poking fun at them when I get the chance.A little bit of gentle rib poking never did any harm.Well hardly ever did any harm.

I suspect you may not have read the Model Railway Journal 234 thread yet,if you do you might see why your original posting prompted me to post my original response.

In a nut shell some one's advocated running EM wheels on P4 track and it's caused a teensy weeny bit of controversy as you can well imagine.So you can see how your demonstration of OO wheels on EM track appealed to my admittedly warped sense of humour as a means of getting some cheap laughs at the expense of our laudable finerscale brethren.

I wonder if Mashima should introduce a motor aimed exclusively for P4 modellers? Numbered in their scheme as 1883?

Well there's only 22 countries in the world we haven't invaded at somepoint. See no. 3 on this list:

http://twistedsifter.com/2013/08/maps-that-will-help-you-make-sense-of-the-world/

Stuart Laycock, author of the book from which the map was taken appears to use the term "invasion" rather loosely. He includes battles fought in countries in support of those countries, privateers raiding the Spaniards who had invaded South America, incursions into territories long predating present-day nations etc. I gather that he has written a number of books intended to be provocative. One critic of his work brackets it with Wikipedia -a libel on the good name of that much-maligned organ.

No, the people the English traditionally had wars with were the French but the Prince of Wales (Edward not Charles) sorted all that out just in time to see off the Teutonic hordes. Most Europeans though are not French which is why we called London's largest terminus Waterloo. We really should have kept that as our Eurostar terminal it annoyed the heck out of them even though one of their main stations is named after the battle of Austerlitz.

"If I die first I want my funeral train to leave Waterloo and De Gaulle to be there" - Sir Winston Churchill when asked about arrangements for his state funeral.

not sure how true, but given that the only thing they agreed on was to get Hitler I can believe he liked the idea of De Gaulle having to arrive at a station named after Britain's victory over the French.  - De Gaulle did indeed attend. 

• Like 1

I wonder if Mashima should introduce a motor aimed exclusively for P4 modellers? Numbered in their scheme as 1883?

For the "Northern" modellers, the Ahso Company will be producing the Pie Motor, based on the Pancake motor which was originally introduced to fit between OO frames.

But will it fit betweem P4 frames?

Depends on the size of your pie. It helps if the pie is enrobed with mushy peas to help it slide between the cheeks (of the frames!) more easily. Gravy cannot be used to enrobe anything while jus is unsuitable for use north of Watford.

• Like 1

Sorry Graham I'm not a secret EM person I'm quite open about my OO modelling I came out about it years ago.However it has to be admitted that I do have a sneaking respect for what the EM P4 SCALEFOUR modellers do.Awe inspiring stuff most of it.Of course that doesn't stop me poking fun at them when I get the chance.A little bit of gentle rib poking never did any harm.Well hardly ever did any harm.

I suspect you may not have read the Model Railway Journal 234 thread yet,if you do you might see why your original posting prompted me to post my original response.

In a nut shell some one's advocated running EM wheels on P4 track and it's caused a teensy weeny bit of controversy as you can well imagine.So you can see how your demonstration of OO wheels on EM track appealed to my admittedly warped sense of humour as a means of getting some cheap laughs at the expense of our laudable finerscale brethren.

Your right about knowing nothing about the battle , I was just stirring things up ! Is your sense of humour warped ! because it sounds much like mine!

I was also just trying to stop the boring chat about bland ucky squashed marrowfat peas but their back on about um again

Edited to correct spellchecker not knowing English

Sense=spence. Why?

Edited by Graham456
  • Like 1

Your right about knowing nothing about the battle , I was just stirring things up ! Is your sense of humour warped ! because it sounds much like mine!

I was also just trying to stop the boring chat about bland ucky squashed marrowfat peas but their back on about um again

Edited to correct spellchecker not knowing English

Sense=spence. Why?

Good to see we're still friends and have so much in common.The trouble with stirring things up is quite often you inadvertently poke your stick in a veritable hornets nest,take it from me I should know! 

• RMweb Premium

That's Knaresborough castle and viaduct brilliantly modelled is it yours White Rabbit? Lovely modelling.

Edit:Thanks for this posting White Rabbit.Peter Goss's latest model, I should have known, if you ask me he's surpassed even his sublime architectural modelling standards this time.I lived in Knaresborough for many years and I can tell you his castle is just so accurately modelled.

Yes, it's a fantastic model. I saw and photographed it at Pateley Bridge earlier this month on Saturday pm when I was under-employed. A friend of mine who lives in Harrogate came on Saturday and came back on Sunday with his wife. They both know Knaresborough well (as you'd expect) and spent a lot of time in front of this layout.  

There's a magazine article/feature on World's End planned for next year, but here's three more photos as a taster

post-16840-0-52064800-1415893826_thumb.jpg

post-16840-0-28914900-1415894528_thumb.jpg

post-16840-0-53641100-1415893878_thumb.jpg

• Like 12

Good to see we're still friends and have so much in common.The trouble with stirring things up is quite often you inadvertently poke your stick in a veritable hornets nest,take it from me I should know!

I know but my favourite saying is

I can resist every thing except temptation ,,,and boy I couldn't resist doing this

PS no more chat about those dam peas

Pies fine

Gravy yes please

But NO SQUASHED PEAS

Or any ponsy London names for gravy

• RMweb Premium

I know but my favourite saying is

I can resist every thing except temptation ,,,and boy I couldn't resist doing this

PS no more chat about those dam peas

Pies fine

Gravy yes please

But NO SQUASHED PEAS

Or any ponsy London names for gravy

Don't have gravy on our pies, and liquor isn't poncy.

post-16423-0-09558500-1415912540.png