Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

How to get lynched at a model railway show

BR60103

The four corner squares will be 'single decker bus on bridge', 'double decker bus on bridge', 'coach on bridge' and 'charabanc on bridge'.

In addition, earning 'Top marks', would be a bus, coach held up by a level crossing.....causing, at least, comment, consternation,...criticism even, among the bus enthusiasts attending.

'Pearce and Crump' had too clear a run, in my opinion.  :)

• Like 1

When in front of one of those layouts with their magazine article plastered on the front say "I think I saw this in ........" After a pause say one of the other mags than the one in front of you.

Or "I don't normally get - name of magazine on display - so I haven't missed much"

• Like 1

You can also walk up to an exhibit at a show and take out your camera to take a picture, and they then say to you "Excuse me are you always this rude that you don't ask permission before taking a photo?" happened to me at the weekend :)

The chap was right , though he could have expressed himself a bit less forcefully. I think that it's generally accepted as etiquette that one should ask. I hold up my camera, point to it, and ask. I think that my dinky Canon Powershot A710 reassures people that I'm not going to be too much of a nuisance. One might be asked if it's for commercial use, a fair question. I respond that I might post a snap on RMweb, again a reassurance of honourable intent, though I have been reprimanded by one well-known modeller for a posting in which he could be seen having difficulty with 3-link couplings!

One snap I've hesitated over is one of a little girl sitting on her dad's knee listening to Ken Hill explaining the workings of Leighton Buzzard. Dad said it was OK, but such is the current climate of mistrust in these matters that I've held it back.

• Like 4

Get asked to operate someone else's layout while they go for lunch and cause a major accident, such as derail 20 waggon train loaded with lose coal, or drive an expensive loco off the end of the fiddle yard so it crashes to the floor.

I've seen both happen.

I did that on the first day of the RMweb show,coal train all over the place,when i by mistake switched off the brake sim on the controller.

never seen so many camera's zoom in to get photo's of it!.

But the best bit was a young lad with his Dad say " look daddy even the professionals  crash there train!".

Mind you this was the first show that i had taken the layout too.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I did that on the first day of the RMweb show,coal train all over the place,when i by mistake switched off the brake sim on the controller.

never seen so many camera's zoom in to get photo's of it!.

But the best bit was a young lad with his Dad say " look daddy even the professionals  crash there train!".

Mind you this was the first show that i had taken the layout too.

On Long Preston the couplers on the narrow gauge sometime let go at the gradient change at the top of the bank at the front of the layout.  The wagon always ended up in the river t the bottom but unfortunately no one ever got  photo of this let a lone a video.  I would love to have had one.

Jamie

On Long Preston the couplers on the narrow gauge sometime let go at the gradient change at the top of the bank at the front of the layout.  The wagon always ended up in the river t the bottom but unfortunately no one ever got  photo of this let a lone a video.  I would love to have had one.

Jamie

I suppose one potential way of getting lynched could be to prod a recalcitrant train with a walking stick....................................

• RMweb Premium
iL Dottore, on 25 Nov 2014 - 09:21, said:

Someone on a thread somewhere (I forget where) bemoaned the lack of contemporary (i.e. 2014) layouts. It just occurred to me that such a layout would be a fine way to annoy the most people possible (stay with me here....)

What would be needed is a layout depicting a British railway station in 2014 which is also equipped with the Faller Car System.

After setting up the layout at the exhibition, about 5 minutes before opening you remove half the track and put up a notice that reads (more or less) "due to planned engineering works Little Snoring will be served by a replacement bus service". Place portacabins and various vans on where the track was.

You then start up the Faller Car System. First you send buses along at irregular intervals (sometimes as many as three together at once) and then, as the day progresses, you add more and more cars to the Faller Car System until you get a layout crammed with cars all crawling along at a scale 5mph.

To anyone voicing criticism, the answer is (and one - alas - too frequently very true) that layout does represent weekend running in 2014.

Sit back and start to tick off the list of the types of railway modeller you have managed to annoy.....

It was announced yesterday the Abellio East Anglia were improving their trains by spending 10Million pounds

on extra carriage cleaning and....

Putting more money into replacement bus services

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Picking up on the quoted post above about the lack of contempoary layouts there's an idea, maybe I should build a "layout" that's a mass of greenery and claim that there's a railway somewhere underneath it :)

I suppose one potential way of getting lynched could be to prod a recalcitrant train with a walking stick....................................

I suppose one potential way of getting lynched could be to prod a recalcitrant operator with a walking stick....................

Preferably adding,"Oy you, gunna run summat or what?" :jester:

I suppose one potential way of getting lynched could be to prod a recalcitrant operator with a walking stick....................

Preferably adding,"Oy you, gunna run summat or what?" :jester:

While they're leaning over the control pannel prod them with the electric probe and see if the points change

Have a Sh!t, Shave and a Shower before going to the show and also wear clean clothes!!!!!!!

(Obviously after ironing the said clothing).

or even wear a suit collar and tie. Black shoes of course, no brown around town.

Edited by andytrains
  • Like 4

Go to an exhibition in an electric wheelchair and run people over, knock their ankles and shins etc.

Then leap up out of the chair when you see a layout you like and run up and down viewing the exhibit.

(Not having a go a genuinely disabled persons, but I have seen this happen on a few occasions, not just at model exhibitions but at other venues).

Edited by andytrains

• RMweb Premium

All this talk of humming punters at model railway shows has reminded me of my jungle training when in the army.

We would only be allowed to rinse or faces with water. No washing with soap was allowed as a well trained jungle fighter could smell soap a long way off and be able to follow you until the right moment when he would attack.

So watch out all these visitors might not be soap dogders but highly trained jungle fighters who could strike you dead with one chop of the exhibition programme. :O :o :O :o

Have a Sh!t, Shave and a Shower before going to the show and also wear clean clothes!!!!!!!

(Obviously after ironing the said clothing).

or even wear a suit collar and tie. Black shoes of course, no brown around town.

On a point of clarification - does the NEC count as town or not ? I would hate to break this rule ..

Mike b

All this talk of humming punters at model railway shows has reminded me of my jungle training when in the army.

We would only be allowed to rinse or faces with water. No washing with soap was allowed as a well trained jungle fighter could smell soap a long way off and be able to follow you until the right moment when he would attack.

So watch out all these visitors might not be soap dogders but highly trained jungle fighters who could strike you dead with one chop of the exhibition programme. :O :o :O :o

interesting story, Clive. Did you ever serve with Foggy Dewhurst?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Go to an exhibition in an electric wheelchair and run people over, knock their ankles and shins etc.

Then leap up out of the chair when you see a layout you like and run up and down viewing the exhibit.

(Not having a go a genuinely disabled persons, but I have seen this happen on a few occasions, not just at model exhibitions but at other venues).

You mean as Andy Pipkin?