Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

How to get lynched at a model railway show

BR60103

Walking around York one year eating a deep fried mars bar nearly got me lynched one year, 10% wanted one and the 99% wanted to hurl.

So deep fried Mars Bars provoke a reaction from 109% of people!

That's nearly as many as using EM wheels on P4 track, including those that haven't read the MRJ 234 thread!

Edited by sp1

• RMweb Premium

I forgot about Warley and continued to shower this week. Doubt I'll be allowed in. Looks like It will have to be next year to visit.

Try a good session at the gym this evening, just remember not to shower afterwards.

Must dig out the large rucksack from wherever its got to.

To be honest whatever I experience at the show can't be worse than getting to it on a CrossCountry train.

• Like 1

Fart.

I don't know if there's any factual basis to this but I have come to the conclusion that farts at exhibitions don't smell the same since the introduction of can motors.  The old open frame motors possibly introduced ozone into the atmosphere which 'helped' the odour as a catalyst of some sort?  Either that or breathing it in affected the farters metabolism in some way?

Bring back a hall full of Dublo 3-rail or Hornby 0 gauge electrics and we could test the theory.

Or die in the process..............................

Sorry going OT a minute back to speed it should take about 1.34 seconds to cover 1 metre at a scale 125mph

There was a useful table from 'Bullocks' on this thread http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/82715-a-speedometer-for-the-layout/   Post No. #25, there are other cross references too on that thread for various speed calc., sources.

I have my own version in Excel, based on a 1/4 mile, as I have that distance (and more) on my 4mm layout = 17' 4"

Edited by Penlan

Stand in front of some body saying something like the above and say in a loud voice.

"And we wonder why they call us Anoraks".

I'll get me coat, sorry, Anorak!! And head for the bomb shelter!!

I had misspent youth, selling BP petrol from Gates of Woodford, for 2/6 per hour on Saturdays, while I was in my final school year.

Back then (IIRC) it was 4/7 for 2 star, 4/10 for 4 star and 5/3 for 5 star. The pumps only had a two hand clock dial for quantity, which showed gallons, pints and I think 1/4 pints (gills?).

So when the pump dial stopped, the customers expected you tell them the total price, more or less instantly, from your head. And then give the right change from a handful of pound notes, in shillings and pence.

Back then though,it seemed to me that everybody could do that. . . . . . . .

Andy

There was a useful table from 'Bullocks' on this thread http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/82715-a-speedometer-for-the-layout/   Post No. #25, there are other cross references too on that thread for various speed calc., sources.

I have my own version in Excel, based on a 1/4 mile, as I have that distance (and more) on my 4mm layout = 17' 4"

Having downloaded "Bullock's patented scale model relative velocity calculator" and adjusted it for 'N' scale and the distance to be travelled, any train entering the visible section of 'Dunestone' over the 20mph limited station approach pointwork should take approx. 9 seconds from tunnel mouth to bufferstops. I might have to put up a note to that effect...

...., any train entering the visible section of 'Dunestone' over the 20mph limited station approach pointwork should take approx. 9 seconds from tunnel mouth to bufferstops. I might have to put up a note to that effect...

At one of our latter exhibitions we ran a 'quiz' to guess the speed of a train going through the scenic section for the visitors, most people under estimated it... It was doing a scale 30mph.  

Prizes - Oh.. Burtons chocolate 'Wagon Wheels' of course, with just the hint of a flange... :jester:

Edited by Penlan
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Walk into Warley dressed as Darth Vader and start complaining that it's all full of Walking Dead cosplayers. Ask the DCC layout operators when their robots are going to start fighting.

I suspect there will be some very odd passenger combinations tipping out at Brum this weekend... :mosking:

My daughter is going to that one. I prefer to see model railway things.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Having downloaded "Bullock's patented scale model relative velocity calculator" and adjusted it for 'N' scale and the distance to be travelled, any train entering the visible section of 'Dunestone' over the 20mph limited station approach pointwork should take approx. 9 seconds from tunnel mouth to bufferstops. I might have to put up a note to that effect...

Hee hee

Will be round to check the calibration!!!

Phil

Edited by Phil Bullock

Hee hee

Will be round to check the calibration!!!

Phil

Nip down to Clevedon on 7th December and you can do so! 'Dunestone' (such as it is) will be there, amongst other member's own layouts and a couple of the club layouts...

post-14641-0-54321000-1416643976_thumb.jpg

Edited by talisman56
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Smelly People

Well I am going to have to say it but I did not come across any today in hall 5, but on the bus back someone was near me and VERY smelly, BO and fags.

Possibly the person who had been to the cat show, or the person who had been to the bike show. One of the children thought it was the cat lady.

• RMweb Premium

Turn up with more layout/stand/demo equipment than you have space booked for..then start rearranging the floor plan to suit your own needs.....

And will you stop complaining about BO...I showered and had clean clothes on every day at Warley

BarryO

Edited by Barry O

• RMweb Premium

Nip down to Clevedon on 7th December and you can do so! 'Dunestone' (such as it is) will be there, amongst other member's own layouts and a couple of the club layouts...

attachicon.gif001.jpg

I shall ask my sister to come to your show after mucking out the herd. Incidentally, I claim to be the only person from 36E to have visited Morrisons in Clevedon and noticed the 'Barn'. I also noticed the remaining signs of the old Clevedon line between Clevedon and Yatton much to the amusement of aforementioned sister. 

Finally, Richard's Railways in Yatton - excellent small MR Shop.

P @36E

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Turn up with more layout/stand/demo equipment than you have space booked for..then start rearranging the floor plan to suit your own needs.....

And will you stop complaining about BO...I showered and had clean clothes on every day at Warley

BarryO

Or better still claim the space allocated to another layout. :jester:

Or better still claim the space allocated to another layout. :jester:

Many times have we arrived as usual some 45 minutes* before the show starts, only to have to fight to gain our space - some 20 feet by 8 feet for 'Winterschlaf' - from someone with a postage-stamp layout on one end of the space and at the other end, the overflow of food bags, rolling stock boxes, etc., etc..

Okay, rant over :jester:

*It takes just 20 minutes to put up the layout and start train movement....and about 25 minutes to dismantle and wave goodbye !  The famous 'departure' was many years ago when we passed a bemused modeller beginning to unscrew his layout boards - yes with a cordless drill !!

Edited by RhBBob

• RMweb Gold

Many times have we arrived as usual some 45 minutes* before the show starts, only to have to fight to gain our space - some 20 feet by 8 feet for 'Winterschlaf' - from someone with a postage-stamp layout on one end of the space and at the other end, the overflow of food bags, rolling stock boxes, etc., etc..

Okay, rant over :jester:

*It takes just 20 minutes to put up the layout and start train movement....and about 25 minutes to dismantle and wave goodbye ! The famous 'departure' was many years ago when we passed a bemused modeller beginning to unscrew his layout boards - yes with a cordless drill !!

Wasnt us this time.

I was starving Friday night and unusually no one had brought any cakes etc with them!!

More seriously, it some times is a problem setting up as we need more space to erect the layout than we need once its set up as all the bags stock boxes normally go underneath it once set up but need ot be clear of the space till then

Edited by roundhouse

• RMweb Premium

A friend of mine used to exhibit his layout frequently despite being confined to a wheelchair. Most exhibition managers were aware of his disability and made provisions for him, principally with regard to access to disabled facilities such as toilets. He attended a show were the exhibition manager was fully aware of his requirements only to find that the space allocated to him had been changed. The new space was separated from the disabled facilities. When he complained he was told that he was still able to access the facilities by going outside and entering by another door. He agreed to that but when it came to time for him to use the facilities it was pouring with rain and the outside route was not a hard surface but pea gravel which is very hard work pushing a wheelchair through. And the reason for moving his layout? a member of the club holding the exhibition insisted on having 'his' space that had been allocated to my friend. I won't 'name and shame' that club as the matter was dealt with and not surprisingly perhaps their exhibition is now a shadow of its former self.

• Like 1

Ah the not enough room for the layout syndrome.

Happened to me one time, "We were wondering if you could make it smaller this time?" enquired the exhibition manager. "No it is 9ft long and will stay 9ft long."

Several years ago one of our members was exhibiting his (at the time) well-known layout  at our exhibition for the last time.  When he arrived with a new fiddle yard it would not fit into the space - so he sawed approx. 9" from the end.  His trains were a lot shorter than usual that weekend!

• Like 1

Just reading some of the R/C control threads.  Latest offering has a 200 ft range. . . , but only 99 addresses.

Wonder what the (lynching) impact of that will have on exhibitions when multiple layouts have compatible R/C systems but not enough addresses?

Andy