Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

How to get lynched at a model railway show

BR60103

More seriously, it some times is a problem setting up as we need more space to erect the layout than we need once its set up as all the bags stock boxes normally go underneath it once set up but need ot be clear of the space till then

Yes, you are quite right, but why is it necessary for some exhibitors to arrive hours before the exhibition starts ?  And then look down their noses at us 'latecomers' struggling to occupy the space kindly marked for us by the exhibition manager.  It is almost as if we have broken some unwritten rule by arriving less than an hour before the start time.

Just reading some of the R/C control threads.  Latest offering has a 200 ft range. . . , but only 99 addresses.

Wonder what the (lynching) impact of that will have on exhibitions when multiple layouts have compatible R/C systems but not enough addresses?....

The possibilities are endless.....

Yes, you are quite right, but why is it necessary for some exhibitors to arrive hours before the exhibition starts ?  And then look down their noses at us 'latecomers' struggling to occupy the space kindly marked for us by the exhibition manager.  It is almost as if we have broken some unwritten rule by arriving less than an hour before the start time.

Most exhibitions open to the exhibitors for a couple of hours prior to the opening for the great unwashed to enable layout setup, etc. At Nailsea we also open on the Friday afternoon for the same purpose. Nothing is guaranteed to get on an Exhibition Managers nerves than a space where a layout should be less than an hour to opening time... As CJF said in one of his layout books:

"... Nothing is more calculated to send an exhibition manager crazy than to discover that an exhibit he was assured was 16ft long now needs 18ft because the builder has added a bit to improve the model. It is a well known fact that those who offend in this fashion also turn up half an hour before the show opens with the bland assurance that 'it only takes 15 minutes to be up and running!' Then they wonder why they're never asked again."

I'd rather turn up two hours before the show opens, get everything set up and tested, then if there's time, take a browse around the trade stalls for a few bargains...

I've had an exhibition or two where in spite of the detailed floor plan supplied showing the layout dimensions, viewing side - operator side, minimum space required behind and/or at end of layout and exit points (for breaks toilets, lunch etc.,),  these dimensions have been ignored.  The worst one was were we had 2 feet behind the layout to operate from.  I could only just get along behind the layout, no chance of even Prieser people passing each other.   My layout plan shows '4ft Minimum, please'

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Turn up with more layout/stand/demo equipment than you have space booked for..then start rearranging the floor plan to suit your own needs.....

At least I turned up with more stock than I really needed to be greeted with a larger than allocated space..............

Sorted!

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 3

Back to the lynching... Putting out the "Gone for a break/Gone for lunch" sign on a demo stand, just as someone you don't want to talk to is approaching. Cheers,Mick

How to get lynched (etc etc...)....

Pinch all the tools & models off an abandoned Demo Table which has a "Gone for Lunch" sign on it....

• RMweb Premium

How to get lynched (etc etc...)....

Pinch all the tools & models off an abandoned Demo Table which has a "Gone for Lunch" sign on it....

It's a demo stand - b*gg*r all time to use tools. Mine (mostly) stayed in the toolbox. :jester:

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Back to the lynching...

Putting out the "Gone for a break/Gone for lunch" sign on a demo stand, just as someone you don't want to talk to is approaching.

Cheers,

Mick

My sign says "Construction halted due to Industrial Action".

Someone on a thread somewhere (I forget where) bemoaned the lack of contemporary (i.e. 2014) layouts. It just occurred to me that such a layout would be a fine way to annoy the most people possible (stay with me here....)

What would be needed is a layout depicting a British railway station in 2014 which is also equipped with the Faller Car System.

After setting up the layout at the exhibition, about 5 minutes before opening you remove half the track and put up a notice that reads (more or less) "due to planned engineering works Little Snoring will be served by a replacement bus service". Place portacabins and various vans on where the track was.

You then start up the Faller Car System. First you send buses along at irregular intervals (sometimes as many as three together at once) and then, as the day progresses, you add more and more cars to the Faller Car System until you get a layout crammed with cars all crawling along at a scale 5mph.

To anyone voicing criticism, the answer is (and one - alas - too frequently very true) that layout does represent weekend running in 2014.

Sit back and start to tick off the list of the types of railway modeller you have managed to annoy.....

Edited by iL Dottore
  • Like 4

How about wandering around an exhibition with a "cliché bingo card". Mark off each one as you see it. When you get to the last one yell and point at the cliché, jumping up and down with excitement and yell BINGO. (smelly people and rucksacks are given as the free square)

• Like 1

How about wandering around an exhibition with a "cliché bingo card". Mark off each one as you see it. When you get to the last one yell and point at the cliché, jumping up and down with excitement and yell BINGO. (smelly people and rucksacks are given as the free square)

The four corner squares will be 'single decker bus on bridge', 'double decker bus on bridge', 'coach on bridge' and 'charabanc on bridge'.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The four corner squares will be 'single decker bus on bridge', 'double decker bus on bridge', 'coach on bridge' and 'charabanc on bridge'.

On my layout that's hard to avoid as most of the roads are on overbridges!!

• RMweb Premium

Wait for Green Ayre we plan to have a 'Bus off a bridge' lying on it's side in a field surrounded by men in macs scratching their heads if I can find a model of a 1923 double decker.  This scene happenned in real life except that we've had to warp the time line a little.

Jamie

• Like 2

Actually there's a good reason to pose a bus, or other vehicle on a bridge but it must be facing towards the audience. The front of the vehicle draws your attention away from the backscene behind it, the back of a vehicle will draw your attention to the backscene. I learned this from a mate who is well versed in these matters.

Cheers,

David

• RMweb Premium

Don't forget the ludicrously steep ramp up to the bridge, probably with a pedestrian crossing placed so that anyone on it stands a good chance of being mown down by turning vehicles who didn't  see them and sharp gradient changes.

• Like 3

I almost self linched myself - I told my daughter about the bus on bridge cliche and now whenever we go to a show when she sees one she points and says in a loud voice "LOOK DADDY ANOTHER BUS ON BRIDGE"  I wish the ground would swallow me up sometimes!