Tetleys Mills 3

tetleys

So moving into WATERLOOVILLE. means I have to uplift my modelling skills considerably

We are in Purbrook. The good news this week is that my wife decided she needs a room in the loft for doing her patchwork. And sold it to me on the basis that I can make use of it as well as a model room. Sounds like a result

Colin

So moving into WATERLOOVILLE. means I have to uplift my modelling skills considerably

We are in Purbrook. The good news this week is that my wife decided she needs a room in the loft for doing her patchwork. And sold it to me on the basis that I can make use of it as well as a model room. Sounds like a result

Colin

Colin,

Congratulations on moving to Purbrook if memory serves me correct the scene of the Stanswood murder, the body found by the night shift in what was a car park opposite the shops in the dip of the old A3 back in 1970 or 71, my first murder scene, but then I was posted to Basingstoke!.

Talking of murder scenes, congratulations on moving 'up' in the world, the room sounds very enticing and a sewing machine need only occupy the approximate floor space of say a popular shunting plank, meanwhile you get use of the rest of the floor space! My only rider would be ensure access is by a proper staircase not folding ladders no matter how sturdy, you won't always be an Olympic standard gymnast. I have friends who's daughter and son in law recently built a three story house with proper attic trusses, plastered the third floor room, carpeted it, installed full electrics the lot. But neglected to consider a set of stairs so access this perfect room by way of a steep set of drop down ladders then wonder why I don't share their enthusiasm!

Plod (ex) of Ancaster

I have placed an order with York Modelling for quite a few O gauge plus some OO gauge laser cut windows, these will be a first for me since I have previously made them up from micro-strip but I haven't got the available time these days. I considered brass etchings but the laser cut alternative I am hoping will give a better three dimensional thickness. The choice of O gauge will also represent the larger windows Victorian owners chose to ensure longer working days without needing expensive gas lighting and the inconvenience of stopping production to extricate mangled limbs. (so tiresome)

Both alternatives add considerably to the cost of buildings but with on-going distractions I don't get much modelling time so I'm happy to pay.

'Effluent' Of Ancaster (Or should that have been affluent?)

Lovely car Dave and the same colour as my A4. I would assume the techie stuff in your car is very similar to Audi (given the shared parentage) and you will soon get used to it. One thing I love in my car is the SD card slot. I have all our CDs copied on to two SD cards!

Good luck in the hospital.

Kind regards

Paddy

I trust that you are NOT the typical Audi driver Paddy trying to get into my boot and then overtaking and endangering the oncoming traffic .......... I'm sure not ALL Audi drivers are bad :triniti:  

I'm sure that you'll love the stuff from York Modelmaking Dave. A bit pricy but well worth the extra for all the time and effort they save over making your own. I've used them for a while now and I haven't got a single complaint!

Regards

Bill

I trust that you are NOT the typical Audi driver Paddy trying to get into my boot and then overtaking and endangering the oncoming traffic .......... I'm sure not ALL Audi drivers are bad :triniti:

Well I hope not. I like to think that I belong to the Audi owners of old rather than the new ex-BMW mob. This is my fifth A4 so I have been driving them for many years.

Paddy

Well I hope not. I like to think that I belong to the Audi owners of old rather than the new ex-BMW mob. This is my fifth A4 so I have been driving them for many years.

Paddy

Guys

I know it's like football supporting a bit of banter is always appreciated, I've driven BMW's for 16 years and I suspect now these, Audis and Mercs are now offered as company cars and likely to be the choice of the aggressive 'go getters' we are bound to see some generic less than courteous driving of them but then I'm no lover of large 4 x 4's and the worst, fastest and least safe drivers using housing estates occupied by young street playing children are? Young child bearing age women! 

I looked at the German cars again and just couldn't bring myself to spend an extra £9-£11,000 on a German badge and remember I owned and loved my BMW's so I bought a Skoda Octavia, paid £600 extra for heated seats and full instead of half leather and it drives and has an interior every bit as well put together as the German brands AND for a few quid extra I got a full size spare wheel. I do however think the Germans look better, the Skoda's tend to be more functional than bling.

I've now got a few spare quid to splash out on the railway and plenty of space to carry my bikes, when I'm allowed to ride again and I'm champing at the bitt to start the new mill as soon as my windows arrive and I'm back out of hospital, (another 8 day visit from Monday).

Dave ex-Petrol Head now Diesel Scrooge of Ancaster 

• RMweb Premium

A Skoda Octavia is a Golf which is also an Audi A3 which is also a Seat Leon. They are all made by Volks Wagen and they are essentially the same car.

I nearly bought an Octavia estate back in 2010 - the dealer's inability to provide a suitable car to test drive (I was after a 2.0 TDi, they offered me a 1.4 petrol) rather put me off. I might still have bought one, but my local Seat dealer had a 9 month old Exeo (Audi A4 clone) 2.0TDi estate at a very good price (which I still have).

I nearly bought an Octavia estate back in 2010 - the dealer's inability to provide a suitable car to test drive (I was after a 2.0 TDi, they offered me a 1.4 petrol) rather put me off. I might still have bought one, but my local Seat dealer had a 9 month old Exeo (Audi A4 clone) 2.0TDi estate at a very good price (which I still have).

We've run a Fabia alongside my BMW 330DSE for over 12 years and although the Beemer is obviously quicker and has smooth 6 cylinder engine plus leather (£1200 thank you sir) and a bit of Maple wood I honestly cannot say it was worth £17000 more and I could and still do jump into the Fabia without feeling short changed so when I wanted a new car for Mrs S we agreed on a 2.0TDI two wheel drive Yeti (she doesn't shop at Sainsbury or do the school run so didn't need four wheel drive). My granddaughter is having the Fabia in July and since Skoda is 'the thinking man's Audi' costing about £9k less plus I negotiated a £4200 discount it was a no brainer, they just get better while the German alternatives just get dearer.

Vorsprung Durch Technic of Ancaster

I phoned the hospital up as directed on Monday and told them I'd got some more jokes in my repertoire but they quickly told me to remain at home (While they applied for short notice annual leave!) so I got a couple of days extra at home, we off loaded another 1000 bricks yesterday and I managed a whole day on the railway today after working through Squires catalogue and ordering some bits and bobs.

My son returned my table saw from his building project so I was able to saw three perfectly identical floors for my mill which has an odd angle at every corner, I screwed three approximate pieces of MDF and ply off cuts together and run them through the saw so in theory and it works all three are identical and have straight edges. I cut up some old 2 x 2 layout legs into approximate 20mm square lengths and again using the table saw cut identical length spacers. My trusty nail gun assisted by temporary clamps and PVA glue ensured the skeleton is square, plumb and strong.

post-372-0-79059000-1396377004_thumb.jpg

post-372-0-87037700-1396377063_thumb.jpg

post-372-0-22727700-1396377116_thumb.jpg

It might look like your budget Spanish holiday hotel but I will be adding walls of 1.5mm mounting card faced with Southeast Finecast 7mm bricks plus additional strengthening pillars and various architectural 'bling' plus of course the York Models laser cut windows. You can see where and the approximate height the finished article will occupy, I am confident it will be 'alright on the night'.

post-372-0-46993700-1396377387_thumb.jpg

Finally while I was sawing, nail gunning and gluing I fixed additional timber to the facia butting onto an embankment which will be used to staple chicken wire to form ground contours without wrapping it over the facia, I want a neat edge that will be painted.

Dave

We've run a Fabia alongside my BMW 330DSE for over 12 years and although the Beemer is obviously quicker and has smooth 6 cylinder engine plus leather (£1200 thank you sir) and a bit of Maple wood I honestly cannot say it was worth £17000 more and I could and still do jump into the Fabia without feeling short changed so when I wanted a new car for Mrs S we agreed on a 2.0TDI two wheel drive Yeti (she doesn't shop at Sainsbury or do the school run so didn't need four wheel drive). My granddaughter is having the Fabia in July and since Skoda is 'the thinking man's Audi' costing about £9k less plus I negotiated a £4200 discount it was a no brainer, they just get better while the German alternatives just get dearer.

Vorsprung Durch Technic of Ancaster

My first two cars were from Skoda and that was back when Skoda was still Skoda! I had a red Estelle followed by a black Rapide Coupe. They were cheap and came from an excellent dealer and backed by a cast iron warranty. Boy were they heavily engineered and the battery would light a small town. :-)

Personally I think they were made from surplus T34 tanks.

As for the VAG range, they are all good cars and as they tend to share major components are all good quality. My wife has the latest Polo and I have to say it is stunning and has features/details that you only got on Audi in the past.

Ah car badges and the choices we make...

Right back to Woodland Scenics.

Paddy

• RMweb Premium

Dave

You remind me of a colleague many years ago. His woodworking skills amazed me, the finish was always immaculate and I could never believe that he was anything other than a craftsman. And then I saw him build a stud wall. The finish was the inevitable immaculate production but the bits that were hidden by the coverings looked worse than I managed to achieve in primary school!

Perhaps that's where I go wrong. I put to much effort into the shell and then run out of enthusiasm by the time the finish (and talent) comes around.

Dave

You remind me of a colleague many years ago. His woodworking skills amazed me, the finish was always immaculate and I could never believe that he was anything other than a craftsman. And then I saw him build a stud wall. The finish was the inevitable immaculate production but the bits that were hidden by the coverings looked worse than I managed to achieve in primary school!

Perhaps that's where I go wrong. I put to much effort into the shell and then run out of enthusiasm by the time the finish (and talent) comes around.

Ray,

I do not profess to be a building modeller but what I end up with is strong, usually inexpensive except on this occasion a mass of professionally manufactured windows and relatively quick to make, my models cannot compare with the exquisite examples produced in plastic card by 'Gravy Train' AKA Peter Leyland on my friend Gilbert's Peterborough North but en-masse they set a generic industrial scene and the secret is the placement of buildings. As for your friend's hidden work, so long as everything is square and plumb and not seen I share his methods and hopefully as work progress's I shall post step by step photographs and I hope all will be revealed and my 'ugly duckling' will grow into a swan or at the very least a grotty, dirty and soot encrusted mill.

No work for a week as I undertake my part time job as a mattress demonstrator at Nottingham Hospital.

Dave

STOP PRESS

My laser etched plastic windows have arrived from York Modelmaking LTD by special delivery, now that is a good service I think I only posted the order on Saturday and knowing me it would have gone second class post.

The windows, in particular the three piece sash windows are very fine and will make up nice three dimensional frames, rather than the flat two dimensional frames that brass etching produces they are not cheap but there is no way I could reproduce such precise and accurate frames so I can see me following this route for future buildings and the cast iron brackets for station awnings. 

I probably won't find time to do any modelling today but I can make a start on setting out the walls with window openings now.

Dave

I found just enough decent size bits of mounting board to make all the walls for the mill and started marking out one when the phone call came recalling me to Hospital from where I now type but at least if I get free time on my return home I can start cutting out window holes and post some progress images. Mrs S. and I will be dashing off to York for several days for some well earned R & R before I start to lose strength so there isn't that much modelling time available but there is the Railway and other museums to look forward to and Mrs S is very much in to the Railway museum so I'll not be subjected to the moans and groans enjoyed by others.

As for the suggestion of training up to give bed baths, I've seen the state of the inmates and when I say I'm the fittest looking in here you can imagine how bad the others must be!

I am going on the static fitness bike though, with all the drugs inside me I've just got to avoid giving samples or I'll not be included in this summer's Tour.

Hopeful of Nottingham

Guest bri.s

I phoned the hospital up as directed on Monday and told them I'd got some more jokes in my repertoire but they quickly told me to remain at home (While they applied for short notice annual leave!) so I got a couple of days extra at home, we off loaded another 1000 bricks yesterday and I managed a whole day on the railway today after working through Squires catalogue and ordering some bits and bobs.

My son returned my table saw from his building project so I was able to saw three perfectly identical floors for my mill which has an odd angle at every corner, I screwed three approximate pieces of MDF and ply off cuts together and run them through the saw so in theory and it works all three are identical and have straight edges. I cut up some old 2 x 2 layout legs into approximate 20mm square lengths and again using the table saw cut identical length spacers. My trusty nail gun assisted by temporary clamps and PVA glue ensured the skeleton is square, plumb and strong.

attachicon.gif2013-04-01 15.52.24 (1024x576).jpg

attachicon.gif2013-04-01 15.52.47 (1024x576).jpg

attachicon.gif2013-04-01 15.52.57 (1024x576).jpg

It might look like your budget Spanish holiday hotel but I will be adding walls of 1.5mm mounting card faced with Southeast Finecast 7mm bricks plus additional strengthening pillars and various architectural 'bling' plus of course the York Models laser cut windows. You can see where and the approximate height the finished article will occupy, I am confident it will be 'alright on the night'.

attachicon.gif2013-04-01 15.52.01 (1024x576).jpg

Finally while I was sawing, nail gunning and gluing I fixed additional timber to the facia butting onto an embankment which will be used to staple chicken wire to form ground contours without wrapping it over the facia, I want a neat edge that will be painted.

Dave

Nice work as usual , I really love the abandoned viaduct in the first picture, a bit of greenery here and there and it would be perfect lol .

Brian

Nice work as usual , I really love the abandoned viaduct in the first picture, a bit of greenery here and there and it would be perfect lol .

Brian

Brian,

Thanks but the abandoned viaduct is awaiting the attentions of the permanent way gang who are supposed to be laying some SMP track but they keep getting distracted with being called away to build mills and do scenic work, this 'moonlighting' has to stop but free time is in short supply recently.

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

As I always say, "Never say never."

I have also said several times on this post that I'm having a monitorium on spending since I have too much of virtually everything, this time I've gone and bought a Bristol Lo Decker West Riding bus destined for Bradford and painted in a fetching red but what's a chap supposed to do? Short of re-spraying and adding difficult to obtain decals 1950-60's buses are very area sensitive so we need to purchase when they are available that brings my West Riding bus fleet to three and I'm unlikely to increase it but I've said that before, I will dispose of some road vehicles though since my new layout only has limited roads.

I'm back in hospital for another week after which I'm managing some builders erecting my new brick and block workshop at the rear of the garage, apart from storing my mountain of building and carpentry tools it will give me a base from which I can use my air brush for weathering, I'm not keen on using it indoors because of the fine paint dust that ends up everywhere. I'd like to think I can get on with some modelling as well but my time is not my own these days, I'm champing at the bitt to start that new mill and I'd like to resume disposing of some surplus buildings, so much to do so little time available, we did visit the railway museum at York last weekend and apart from the lovely oily smells in the main hall the staff and general presentation cannot be faulted and providing they keep MacDonalds from opening a franchise the place is litter free, a credit to all the staff.

"Tickets please, of Ancaster"

After ten days 'protective custody' in Nottingham Hospital I am hoping to be released tomorrow for a couple of weeks before a review of future treatment so with that I expect to be able to crack on with the railway and the small matter of building a roof for my new workshop. I've been sharing with a 70 year old bloke who is as daft as me so it hasn't been arduous and the staff here are all nutters so I'm home from home, we did start an escape tunnel which was going well until I remembered we are on the first floor now we've got to repair the floor under the fridge in the corner of the room! Where's my DAS?

Steve McQueen Ancaster, Nottingham and Staleg Lufft 13.

Archived