46233 The Duchess on Tour

Ramrig

• RMweb Premium

8P 46233 Duchess of Sutherland

Following its 10 year overhaul today was the official 'Roll Out' of Duchess 46233 Duchess of Sutherland at the West Shed, Swanwick part of The Midland Railway Centre Derbyshire. The overhaul has only taken about 16 months to complete, but the biggest transformation is the livery change. The loco is to carry this livery for a couple of seasons before reverting to LMS Crimson Lake again. It will be the first time since the early 1960's that we will see a BR Green Duchess on the National Network.

The day started out overcast with light rain.

post-7289-0-97228500-1330801418.jpg

post-7289-0-90688900-1330801585.jpg

So while the rain fell. We were treated to a guided tour of the shed by Brian Radford. This included the LMS No 1 Dynamometer Car 45050.

post-7289-0-92217800-1330801637.jpg

These are full size figures of Reg Ford, Sam Allwood and 'Eric'; who is animatronically taking notes!!

The front 'Look out'

post-7289-0-39063800-1330801697_thumb.jpg

We were also treated to a tour of the Royal Saloon and the Workshops, where D4 Great Gable was hybernating for the winter.

By this time the sun had come out to play and the results were stunning..................

post-7289-0-48624500-1330801730.jpg

post-7289-0-77252700-1330801757.jpg

post-7289-0-25383600-1330801782.jpg

The trust have also purchased a new 'Depot Shunter'.

post-7289-0-06278000-1330801817.jpg

A very enjoyable day. The locomotive looks absolutely stunning in this livery.

Next to see it on the mainline hauling a rake of suitably liveried Mark 1's ..................................... Heaven!!!!

And if you arrived between 10.30am and 11.30 am you would have been pestered by me on the gate for £1 towards parking. All money going into the Tarmac fund for the Swanwick Junction site. Raised £32 in the hour I was there. Would have stopped for longer but had a family errand to run.

• RMweb Premium

And if you arrived between 10.30am and 11.30 am you would have been pestered by me on the gate for £1 towards parking. All money going into the Tarmac fund for the Swanwick Junction site. Raised £32 in the hour I was there. Would have stopped for longer but had a family errand to run.

Did not get caught for a £ for parking. On site before 9:30am. Paid a tenner each at the West Shed for the privilege of photographing the Duchess. Money well spent I may add.

Tarmac? Some road stone to fill those craters on the road to the West Shed might be better first.

Well that looks the mutts nuts doesn't it. Still the best locos ever for me.

I know the Duchesses never traversed the line but still thinking of doing a cheeky EM conversion on one to run the wakes ECS duties currently hauled by Iron Duke on New Hey!

• RMweb Gold

Post No 4 - what is the box like structure with two pipes on the back of the tender?

Gordon A

Bristol

Didn't these things have coal pushers - I think you can just see the small exhaust pipes in the middle of the coal space back plate - but I am using Poundland reading glasses......

Send it down to Devon instead of the regular GWR offerings.Sustained power, something the GWR were not built for.They altered the t/t specially for 6233, although looks like this year it should be Clan Line, Britannia, and the Duke., we shall have Gods Wonderful Railway fans in mourning all summer Beeman.

• RMweb Premium

I guess this is what everyone is talking about.

post-7289-0-62180100-1330859648.jpg

I know the trust increased the water capacity on the last overhaul to 5000 gallons. Also the tender is fitted with a coal pusher. i am no expert but I think the pipe work visible is a combination of the two.

Anyone add to that?

It would look to be an extension of the water tank. Would the two external pipes be for filling the water tanks at the lineside/under the wire by fire hose, with the filling point between the frames (as can be seen in the first photo of post #4)?

• RMweb Gold

Send it down to Devon instead of the regular GWR offerings.Sustained power, something the GWR were not built for.They altered the t/t specially for 6233, although looks like this year it should be Clan Line, Britannia, and the Duke., we shall have Gods Wonderful Railway fans in mourning all summer Beeman.

Oh I don't think any GWR fans are likely to be upset at the sight of our 'son of Swindon's' finest piece of GW influenced pacific design re-appearing on the Western once more; the older folk are used to them, some Old Oak men took to them like duck to water when they had them as regular engines on the West of England route for a very short while ... and so on.

But being very blunt about it I never liked them in green and much preferred them in maroon (but could that be because my first model railway engine was 'Duchess of Atholl' in LMS livery?).

• RMweb Premium
But being very blunt about it I never liked them in green and much preferred them in maroon (but could that be because my first model railway engine was 'Duchess of Atholl' in LMS livery?).

It could have been worse, BR Blue, eek

During my spotting days at Bletchley the green 'uns made a change although I agree BR Maroon was best, my favourite being 46245 City of London which was always kept fairly clean by Camden and then Willesden.

Thanks for the memeories!

I used to see these on running in turns after overhauls etc, on suburban wekday services, Manchester area.

Luckily my first school was right by the Manchester - London line and the running in turn passed by slowly as it was stopping at Levenshulme 1/4 mile away, the first run past was just as we lined up at 8-55AM and then the same loco could be seen 3 times later in the day as it worked other turns!

A couple more

Rear shot

post-7289-0-67804600-1330803802.jpg

Royal Scot headboard

post-7289-0-46891600-1330803827.jpg

Bet if you turned it upside down it would have "Hornby-DUBLO" on the bottom too....

Lovely (and thats from a follower of the GER/LNER too!)

I'll get my coat....

Stewart

Archived