The Fall & Rise of the 60's ( was The End of the Tugs?)

A recent trio from me, summing up the recent weather rather well...

IMG_5680-60074-6B33-XL.jpg

60074 passes a wet and misty Hullavington working 6B33 Theale - Robeston 9/2/13

IMG_5690-60010-6W97-XL.jpg

60010 approaches Thingley Junction working 6W97 Totnes - Bescot with a train of welded rail sections. The train was terminated at Oxford Hinksey, with the loco running light to Didcot. 10/2/13

IMG_5761-60020-6B33-XL.jpg

60020 shatters the peace as it thunders past Callow Hill working 6B33 Theale - Robeston 19/2/13

jo

• Like 12

Who would agree with me that a Red DB Class 60 is one if not the best looking locomotive in the country??? Your thoughts?

I would totally agree with that! I'm not sure why EWS bought so many class 66's. Maybe they could have ordered more Brush class 60's with revamped and more powerful engines. The 60's certainly look at home in any livery. Come on EWS, lets have a railfreight grey liveried one just for nostalgic purposes!!

• Like 1

Is there such a thing as The RMWeb Photographic Awards ?

There should be. Jo's pic of 60074 would get my vote, an epic photo.

Thanks, I shouldn't go so far though, lol. The shot I aimed for didn't work due to the camera struggling to focus in the mist, this was a last minute grab and is a bit close to the edge of the shot! The noise was epic though, that's for sure...:-)

jo

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The shot I aimed for didn't work due to the camera struggling to focus in the mist, this was a last minute grab and is a bit close to the edge of the shot! The noise was epic though, that's for sure...:-)

jo

Go for a lower ASA then :onthequiet:

I have all 100 60s captured on film and/or pixel

• Like 1

Who would agree with me that a Red DB Class 60 is one if not the best looking locomotive in the country??? Your thoughts?

It's a tidy livery on a tidy loco, I'll certainly give you that.

A Doncaster-Toton working, as far as I can tell, 21 March 13 at Rotherham, with 60079, a load of rails, and a couple of MPV things tagged on at the back.

post-6971-0-64830200-1363880293.jpg

• Like 3

Whilst i'm in a retro mood, here's a handful from the London end of the GWML, back in sectorisation times...interesting to look at how different the infrastructure is with resignalling and electrification all in the future!

60028 passes Hayes & Harlington with the Langley to Lindsey Total empties.

60028_Hayes_Harlington_DateUnk-L.jpg

60041 arriving at Southall yard, with Bardons

60041_Southall_DateUnk-L.jpg

60041 again on a different day, heading East with ECC Quarries hoppers which I think would have come from the Brentford branch...

60041_WestEaling_DateUnk_b-L.jpg

• Like 7

Whilst i'm in a retro mood, here's a handful from the London end of the GWML, back in sectorisation times...interesting to look at how different the infrastructure is with resignalling and electrification all in the future!

60028 passes Hayes & Harlington with the Langley to Lindsey Total empties.

60028_Hayes_Harlington_DateUnk-L.jpg

60041 arriving at Southall yard, with Bardons

60041_Southall_DateUnk-L.jpg

60041 again on a different day, heading East with ECC Quarries hoppers which I think would have come from the Brentford branch...

60041_WestEaling_DateUnk_b-L.jpg

Lovely set of photos mate! I do like the original livery of these locos, it really suits them.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

It's a tidy livery on a tidy loco, I'll certainly give you that.

A Doncaster-Toton working, as far as I can tell, 21 March 13 at Rotherham, with 60079, a load of rails, and a couple of MPV things tagged on at the back.

6M73, 12:33, Doncaster Up Decoy - Toton - hth

• Like 1

Go for a lower ASA then :onthequiet:

I have all 100 60s captured on film and/or pixel

Shhhhhhh! That made me chuckle as I read it, cheers Dave. That area isn't bad for hearing trains coming, it's uphill and through a cutting

Not sure how many I've photographed, but its a shame the Corus pair went too early for me to snap.

jo

Edited by ewsjo

Some more great pics being put up! Especially liking the ones from days gone!

Only one to show, and that's of 60049 in charge of 6O26 Hinksey to Eastleigh engineers as it passes Shawford on 26th March.

post-7258-0-63650400-1364940497_thumb.jpg

This was a little bit bittersweet, on one hand happy to get a 60 but the gen had been flying around to say that 60074 was to work this. Indeed, it came as far as Hinksey but the train was nearly 2 hours late as it passed Shawford, so I can only surmise that '74 had a problem and was swapped for '49.

One day, '74 will head my way...

Andy.

• Like 3

Visited the Lickey for the first time in about 30 if not 35 years on Wednesday.

Narrowly missed 60074 on steel empties heading south, but was lucky enough to catch 60059 northbound on tankers a few minutes later - RESULT

!post-1261-0-42564500-1365847537_thumb.jpg

post-1261-0-00239700-1365847554_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

One here from last Thursday. I was expecting 60074, but having not checked online it was a surprise to see a red loco approaching. It's nice to have enough 60s in South Wales to allow this uncertainty!

IMG_6140-60040-6B33-XL.jpg

60040 passes the site of Shrivenham station as it approaches Bourton working 6B33 Theale - Robeston 11/4/13

jo

• Like 8