Royal Mail

Does anyone know of any other online supplier that uses a courier instead of the Royal Mail .The reason is I have had long delays in receiving items for the UK when the Royal Mail was used and are still awaiting something posted Airmail 8 weeksago fro a trusted supplier. The only one I know of and have used is Hatton 's ( trust them to have forseen the problems with the post) and was suprised when the items arrived after 6 days and of course the cost was half of what Royal Mail would have charged .

• RMweb Gold

Does anyone know of any other online supplier that uses a courier instead of the Royal Mail .The reason is I have had long delays in receiving items for the UK when the Royal Mail was used and are still awaiting something posted Airmail 8 weeksago fro a trusted supplier. The only one I know of and have used is Hatton 's ( trust them to have forseen the problems with the post) and was suprised when the items arrived after 6 days and of course the cost was half of what Royal Mail would have charged .

Quite a lot of shops have a next day delivery option, or use couriers for larger orders. Of course it quite often costs a bit extra, but given RMs current trend to spend more time striking than doing any work, its well worth it.

Wouldn't be surprised to see more model shops shifting completely over to couriers now, certainly seems to be a lot of companies who depend on mail order delivery to customers who have decided that enough is enough.

Certainly I have used the courier service from Hattons, and I think everything I've purchased from Trains4u came via courier.

The Royal Mail may be slow (due to being mostly on strike) but they are a lot more convenient for parcels than couriers.

As I'm usually at work when they try and deliver, having to collect a parcel from the Royal Mail sorting office half a mile away is a lot better than having to drive to some courier distribution centre. This will be in an industral estate 20 miles away (even though I live in the middle of a large city) that is impossible to find, only open at certain times, and usually staffed by people with appalling customer service skills.

Quite a lot of shops have a next day delivery option, or use couriers for larger orders. Of course it quite often costs a bit extra, but given RMs current trend to spend more time striking than doing any work, its well worth it.

Wouldn't be surprised to see more model shops shifting completely over to couriers now, certainly seems to be a lot of companies who depend on mail order delivery to customers who have decided that enough is enough.

Certainly I have used the courier service from Hattons, and I think everything I've purchased from Trains4u came via courier.

Many thanks will try Trains4u ,by the way should have mention that I live in Ozzie Land ,and all the Model Shops I try so far are sticking with Royal Mail

but given RMs current trend to spend more time striking than doing any work,

Something of an exaggeration Richard, and hardly calculated to catch the best side of our postmen members, most of whom are like most of us and just want to do a fair day's work and be appreciated. Let's keep this objective please and not start any silliness.

Thanks.

• RMweb Gold

A week last Friday at about 15:30, I responded to an answerphone message from Trains4U about a Kestrel that I had ordered. I gave them my card details, and Kestrel was in my hands at 10:30 the following day, delivered by Royal Mail.

Nothing wrong with that.

• RMweb Gold

A week last Friday at about 15:30, I responded to an answerphone message from Trains4U about a Kestrel that I had ordered. I gave them my card details, and Kestrel was in my hands at 10:30 the following day, delivered by Royal Mail.

Nothing wrong with that.

On a similar note, I placed an order with C&L online last Friday morning, package courtesy of Royal Mail on my doormat Saturday morning! Brilliant!

The Royal Mail may be slow (due to being mostly on strike) but they are a lot more convenient for parcels than couriers.

As I'm usually at work when they try and deliver, having to collect a parcel from the Royal Mail sorting office half a mile away is a lot better than having to drive to some courier distribution centre. This will be in an industral estate 20 miles away (even though I live in the middle of a large city) that is impossible to find, only open at certain times, and usually staffed by people with appalling customer service skills.

A workmate of mine has recounted similar experiences with non-railway items. It's not happened to me yet, but I think it would only have to happen to me once, and I'd stop using that retailer unless they offered the choice of Royal Mail as carrier

I had similar problems with a courier a few years ago for non railway items.

I was living in Bury St Edmunds at the time and the depot named on the card was in Norwich so a visit was not an option. I tried phoning the contact phone number several times, it either rang with no answer or was engaged, often within minutes of each other.

When the item was returned to the supplier because I hadn't taken delivery they wrote to ask me why. I noticed that they started using another courier soon after.

Ordered from International Models in Wales late last Wednesday evening. Parcel arrived with 2nd class postage, first thing on Friday morning by Royal Mail !!

Think it would be fair to say that for every reported cock up on here there are 9 successful deliveries that go unmentioned.

I am a postie and in the 33.3% who will be working over the next 2 days believing that the 's' word is not the answer. Knock RM as much as you like as I agree, sometimes things do go wrong and the service can be poor but dont tar us all with the same brush. Some of us enjoy what we do and take a real pride in our work.

There is nothing fair about 'other' mail companies being able to win large bulk delivery contracts from RM, collect the goods, sort them to a certain extent, cream off the profit and then give the items back to RM and expect the frontline RM staff to do the final mile for peanuts ? Whoever in government decide that was a level playing field wants shooting !!

Anyway, rant over (!) and if you want my advice, despite my bias towards RM, I would have to say that if you want anything urgently I would go for the courier option because, from experience, it will take several days to clear the backlog caused and we may not catch up before the union call another round.

I have to say give me Royal Mail rather than couriers.

Yes couriers can be quicker, but miss their delivery and it can be real fun. I once missed a Hattons delivery and had a 36 mile round trip to pick it up, my local sorting office is a mile away.

My real gripe with Royal Mail is their outrageous handling charge (??8) for imported goods that have a duty collection on them.

you'll probably find that all model shops have a relationship with some courier or another, i would just ask the model shop before purchasing, im sure they will send it via courier as long as you pay the extra

I have to say give me Royal Mail rather than couriers.

Yes couriers can be quicker, but miss their delivery and it can be real fun. I once missed a Hattons delivery and had a 36 mile round trip to pick it up, my local sorting office is a mile away.

My real gripe with Royal Mail is their outrageous handling charge (??8) for imported goods that have a duty collection on them.

i think it depends which courier you use, sometimes ive had a card through the door saying they will redeliver the next day or i can pick it up. just depends where u live i suppose.

I had a non railway model item shipped on Monday, came today via Royal Mail! and railway related I had an order from Shawplan sent out payment on Monday last week and got my order on Wednesday?! so guess royal Mail are doing thier best at the moment, id say they do have a big job handling Thousands of mail letters and the like per day, possibly even more!

other couriers ive had good experiences with are City Link, and DHL

NL

Nice to see all of the stories from people saying that their parcels arrived when they should of last week etc.

However lets not forget that the strikes are today(22nd) and tomorrow(23rd).

Im just simply not ordering anything or posting anything until next week. Up in this neck o' the woods Royal Mail is a godsend so i will never stop using them.

Something of an exaggeration Richard, and hardly calculated to catch the best side of our postmen members, most of whom are like most of us and just want to do a fair day's work and be appreciated. Let's keep this objective please and not start any silliness.

Thanks.

Like most I am a bit fed up with the Royal Mail, however I brought and paid for an item on Ebay on the 18th (sunday) it was delivered yesterday (19th) not a bad service.

Many thanks will try Trains4u ,by the way should have mention that I live in Ozzie Land ,and all the Model Shops I try so far are sticking with Royal Mail

For international post, Royal mail really is the best option. Courier services such as UPS and FedEx are very expensive by comparison. We could offer courier service provided the customer is prepared to pay the extra.

I've had no problem having sent many parcels to the US, Canada, Australia, New Zealand and South Africa via Royal mail. The last parcel that went to the US took 4 days.

Delays are often caused by customs or domestic carriers in the destination country.

For international post, Royal mail really is the best option. Courier services such as UPS and FedEx are very expensive by comparison.

Very True. I have had parcels from Chempix cost me near as much as the etching to get them to me here in Australia. Then the courier drivers refuse to go up my 300 metres of driveway. So he takes the package back to a depot 55 kms away and lies to the office about no-one being home.

I've had no problem having sent many parcels to the US, Canada, Australia, New Zealand and South Africa via Royal mail. The last parcel that went to the US took 4 days.

Also true, mostly the US to Australia is slightly quicker than UK to Australia. But with a mail parcel, I can have the parcel delivered to my post office box where it is safe and local until I can collect it. Couriers generally cannot deliver to post office boxes.

Couriers appeal to shippers by offering to collect from the shippers premises, whereas you actually have to take mail items to the post office. However USPostal now offers a service to pick-up items from the shippers office, but most US companies do not even know this service exists. And their charges are very low, comparable to Australia Post rates. They are actually quite a lot cheaper than RM.

US companies almost default to courier shipping, probably due to laziness. And the customer pays the shipping charges, so why sweat it. But if you dealing with them and they value your custom, tell them to use USPostal instead. Most times they are surprised at how little it costs.

Delays are often caused by customs or domestic carriers in the destination country.

Not in Australia actually. Unless the item is worth A$1,000-00 or more, Customs are not interested in it and will not touch it. And there are no domestic carriers involved in transporting the mail internally in Australia. It is done by Australia Post and is quite fast.

A lot of carriers are only interested in larger parcels as this is where they can compete with the RM in one case a firm trying to get my business said that they can't compete against the RM for parcels less than 2kg so I will be sticking to the RM and helping to keep my local PO open as well.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks.

Many thanks for keeping it all in check!!!!! As a postie myself i find it hard to swallow that people knock the service but don't know what really goes on in the inside!!!!! The one thing people don't seem to realise is that we can get the item out of the country within two days but what happens after that is down to the recipent country many of which don't have a next day service!!!!! As for the poster who moans about the ??8 surcharge it has nothing to do with Royal Mail but the Inland Revenue. They just collect the unpaid V.A.T. HTH

As for the poster who moans about the ??8 surcharge it has nothing to do with Royal Mail but the Inland Revenue. They just collect the unpaid V.A.T. HTH

When collecting parcels many moons ago I found the charge went from ??4 to ??8 and the postie in the office told me that it was charge that went to the RM for collecting the VAT.

Below is a quote from the HMRC site

"Royal Mail, Parcelforce Worldwide and Fast Parcel Operators may charge you for processing your package through Customs. These charges are normally collected together with any duty/taxes on delivery but they are not Customs duties. If you need to know the exact cost of these extra charges in advance, you should contact the seller and ask which carrier they will be using to send your goods. You can then contact the carrier and ask what their charges will be."|

Archived