Photo Call! 2mm Layouts Out and About at Exhibitions

Pixie

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Donw said:

I think that was one of Nigel's aims. Makes it easier finding operators for shows

Don

I just now have this vision of Nigel having turntable envy at Uckfield as Jerry sat there all weekend playing with his, watching it go round and round and round, happy as Larry!

• RMweb Premium

I don't know about turntable envy, but Jerry's was certainly a lovely little model. He will definitely need a new battery for it's next show as that one got flattened!

Most of the design objectives have been met, as Don says. We still have ideas for other divisions of labour, but generally two people can manage the whole thing and survive lunch solo. Our main errors occur when the front operator gets chatting to the public and doesn't keep up with the operational requirements devised by the backstage staff.

The vehicles definitely got the most public reaction and bought us time while trains were prepared round the back. It gave a good mix of bucolic atmosphere while still giving the public something to watch while waiting for the next arrival.

• Like 4

It really is a beautiful layout and a real pleasure to operate as well , as for the lorry and the level crossing gates, just fabulous theatre that produced so many smiles from the very attentive visitors 😁.......

Congrats Nigel !!!

best Michael

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, 65179 said:

I just now have this vision of Nigel having turntable envy at Uckfield as Jerry sat there all weekend playing with his, watching it go round and round and round, happy as Larry!

I don’t know about turntable envy but I’ve certainly got lorry envy - a really effective addition to Nigel’s new layout. I will certainly be looking into doing something similar on the long stretch of the Lower Bristol Road on Bath - including trams!

Jerry

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Laurie2mil said:

Gizmos - can’t beat ‘em. 
Brilliant, just brilliant, Nigel. 

Well not as advanced as a shunting tractor, but effective nonetheless! It is predictable and is a great nod to John Greenwood's Wenford Bridge which was one of my earliest 2mm inspirations. Thanks for the comment Laurie.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 19/06/2022 at 21:39, Chris Higgs said:

In other news, it appears Network Rail have given up on trying to build their signals with the overscale LEDs in, and just resorted to making the heads bigger. And if you were wondering where the stock of Midland Railway bufferstops went, I think I found out.

IMG_20220618_085802.thumb.jpg.d2392b908b9d27081be75e719b381ec5.jpgIMG_20220618_181117.thumb.jpg.af6e841228fd1761633a60d573b54a8a.jpg

Talking of bufferstops, as we approach 100 years since the Grouping, I have come to the conclusion that apart from the buildings and civil engineering structures, bufferstops seem to have lasted the longest. Just this past week I have seen GNR examples at Hitchin, and GER versions at March and Cambridge, with the very latest electric stock parked up against them. I suspect the LBSCR one just north of East Croydon is probably still there too.

Chris 

Edited by Chris Higgs
  • Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Drws y Nant attended the Manchester Model Railway Society's show over the weekend and was next to the 2mm Roadshow with Edward, Nick and John manning that stand at various points. We saw numerous visitors ask us questions then discuss things with the roadshow team.

1872658653_Manchester2.jpg.5af93fe120620d6e38e4c7556c017685.jpg

Michael and David provided operational support on the layout over the weekend and we had a pretty decent show. Numerous visitors knew the area as North Wales is a popular spot for Mancunians. Having added the postbox since the last outing, the only spot of something missing was the Beware of Trains signs. I already had these on the "to do" list, but the chap who spotted it did own one of the originals from the location, so first hand positive feedback like this is always welcome. Another visitor said he put in an offer on the cottage, but was rebuffed by BR.

1606262114_Manchester1.jpg.bbfd7d330b21dd5537e3049047c6e940.jpg

We ran the GWR stock for most of the show, but did experiment with some of the BR period stuff. Most of the problems were coupling related, so simple to sort and I hadn't put any focus on that yet, so useful to find any issues. We did like a long freight behind a "shock horror - Black" Manor and green DMUs looked like they would have worked well had the line remained open long enough.

1361905519_BRfreight1mb.jpg.d6de19cd04056fa8305887a83ab00b2a.jpg

All in all a good show for us. One young lad had seen the Uckfield video on You Tube and was determined to see the level crossing and lorry in real life. Apparently his mother didn't believe it was possible, but was shown it working in real life. So we seem to be pleasing the paying public and having fun while doing so. A few more invites cropped up, so we can further refine the details and widen the scope for future.

Nigel

• Like 15
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Coming from a man who has just filled a baseboard with track - Drws y Nant and Moor View both demonstrate that a model railway doesn't need lots of complicated pointwork and fans of sidings to be interesting, well thought out scenics and authenticity win over the viewing public every time I believe.

• Like 2
  • Agree 5
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...