Newbryford's mostly Yellow workbench - "it's a drag, man......."

Here's the pair of NR vans 977990/92114 almost complete. Weathering and glazing should see them done.

Looking great, how's the yellow 'piggyback' wagon coming on?

How've you done the lining and red stripe on the genny vans, masking tape and patience?

Thanks,

Jack.

• RMweb Premium

Looking great, how's the yellow 'piggyback' wagon coming on?

How've you done the lining and red stripe on the genny vans, masking tape and patience?

Thanks,

Jack.

Hi Jack, The piggyback is largely built - I managed to lose one of the cast bogie mounts, so am in the middle of making a new one. May get to do some pics later.

The stripes are as you say - masking tape and patience.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

In the middle of my 67 Kadee project, I thought I'd line them up. I think I've got all the various liveries - 3 repaints and one renumber - so far.

post-408-0-70433100-1424643982_thumb.jpg

post-408-0-68675400-1424643984_thumb.jpg

The KAA piggyback wagon is almost ready for primer.

post-408-0-48261500-1424644023_thumb.jpg

post-408-0-49390500-1424644026_thumb.jpg

The cutdown MEA is almost complete.

post-408-0-23762700-1424644030_thumb.jpg

And here's another oddity - part of the Jarvis/Fastline TRT. I know the van is the incorrect type, but life's too short! There is also a Mk3 sleeper to accompany it, that's also in the paintshops.

post-408-0-86367100-1424644028_thumb.jpg

Next up will be a yellow Conflat A from a Parkside kit.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Is this the wagon ??

If so, good luck with building the rest of the rake !! :O

Cheers,

Phil.

Hi Phil,

That's the one - 889400, but I only need the van and the accompanying Mk3 sleeper - 977989 - as those are the only two vehicles from the train in the yard at Derby RVEL.

Edit - pic links added

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Planning and research is underway to start a big project soon. Don't worry - I'll be updating the other smaller projects as required.

I need a railtour set to run with odd locos on New Bryford - particularly steam and heritage diesels. There are a number of coaching sets that are regularly used on railtours, and it isn't as simple as putting any railtour coach behind any loco.

However, the most common railtour coach provider just happens to be the most locally based - that of the West Coast Railway Company at Carnforth. Plenty of choice for traction in steam and diesel form.

I have been collecting various Mk1's (and the odd mk2) over the last couple of years and the time has come to translate that into a working set, including a steam loco support coach.

Most of the work on the Mk1's will be removal of the end steps and handrails, along with repainting. Other work will be detailed as I carry it out.

Here's the intended rake. (All Bachman Mk1's unless indicated)

BSK - 80220 support vehicle for K1 62005 - this will also involve some surgery to the sides to add the roller shutter doors.

BCK - either 99304 or 21266

Pullman FO x 2 - Modelzone limited edition twin pack - will become 99347/99348

Replica FO - "Florence" 3093.

RMB - 1861

PBO (ex-SO) - 99318 - mini buffet - modified with a couple of windows blanked - pics will follow as the model enters the workshop.

2x SO - Pick two numbers from 4960/4973/4984/99317/99328/99329

Mk2 TSO - s5222

Mk2a TSO - 5419

BSK - 99723

edit: If other suitable coaches are acquired in the next 2-3 weeks, then they'll be added to the list - FK 99316 is on the hit list along with some more SO/TSO's

Transfers for the West Coast logos, lining and numbers will probably come from Railtec or Precision decals.

I'm tempted to use a couple of brands of BR coach maroon as no two coaches appear to be the same shade once weathered/faded.

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Sounds like a fun project Mick!

Do you reckon you'll have people sticking out the door droplights and the sliding top windows?

I had a little bash at this once when much younger but kept cracking all the windows!! Will be really good to see yours, not enough proper Railtour sets modelled!

• RMweb Premium

Sounds like a fun project Mick!

Do you reckon you'll have people sticking out the door droplights and the sliding top windows?

I had a little bash at this once when much younger but kept cracking all the windows!! Will be really good to see yours, not enough proper Railtour sets modelled!

Hmmmm - got me thinking - a couple of guys with goggles and microphones on stalks...... Maybe another coach to add to a diesel railtour with some "flailers"

Or do I chicken out and do a ECS movement?

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hmmmm - got me thinking - a couple of guys with goggles and microphones on stalks...... Maybe another coach to add to a diesel railtour with some "flailers"

You know you want to haha!! The flailers would be amazing, if they fit in the loading gauge! I'd like to model that one day with a Class 58 farewell railtour set with some very overexcited fans!

I am planning to put a pilkingtons special K set together however getting numbers and photos isn't proving to be that easy, it appears that not many people bothered taking photos of this set. Once I've got the set together I will hopefully fill it with some people, and the odd flailer just to add to the effect..

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Tamperman36. Pilkington K set numbers 1993. SK 99710/12/13/16/17/18/21/22.ex 25767/25893/26013/25808/25837/25862/25806/25756.. CK 99714/19. ex 16187/16191. BSK 99720/23. ex 35461/35459.

And a large quantity of those are now in WCRC use.

Cheers,

Mick

Here's the intended rake. (All Bachman Mk1's unless indicated)

BSK - 80220 support vehicle for K1 62005 - this will also involve some surgery to the sides to add the roller shutter doors.

BCK - either 99304 or 21266

Pullman FO x 2 - Modelzone limited edition twin pack - will become 99347/99348

Replica FO - "Florence" 3093.

RMB - 1861

PBO (ex-SO) - 99318 - mini buffet - modified with a couple of windows blanked - pics will follow as the model enters the workshop.

2x SO - Pick two numbers from 4960/4973/4984/99317/99328/99329

Mk2 TSO - s5222

Mk2a TSO - 5419

BSK - 99723

Looks good Mick, I want to make a rake too, but a smaller one. Recently there was a short(ish!) rake that ran for the Chris Fudge special, and I've adapted this to my taste to produce this line up:

SO x2 - (many to choose from!)

PBO - 99318 (will follow your conversion with interest!)

PSP - 99347/8

FO - 13320 'Anna'

BCK - 21266

So In a few places my rake is similar. I'll also have a steam support coach, but I'll model separate coaches for separate locos.

Currently I've got 2x Hatchette SKs, a change of interior will produce SOs. I've also got a Bachy restaurant to become 'Anna', and a Bachmann B/G Pullman to be 99347/8.

Look forward to more quality modelling! :butcher:

Jack.

• RMweb Premium

Biggest problem to the WCRC rake is finding some suitable storage so I can easily locate the relevant parts for each coach when they are eventually re-assembled.

Keeping all the sides/roof/chassis labelled for each coach will also have to be done carefully.

99318 and 80220 will probably take the most work.

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

I hope you will make the flailers working, with the amount of flail (if that's the correct term) increasing with the amount of loco thrash.

Remember, nobody hanging out of the windows in the 'full dining' section, as those passengers are always more interested in the nosh than motive power!

• RMweb Premium

A few prototype pics for you mick, may be useful for your RTC layout

Hi Jim,

They're not useful -

they're VERY useful.

Thank you very much.

Mick

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

A few prototype pics for you mick, may be useful for your RTC layout

DSCF9469.jpg

This van is very much on my to-do list. Thanks Mr T, I now have a pair of A1 Models etched sides.

In the meantime, the WCRC set is progressing.

This is almost the full line-up before the FK arrived.

post-408-0-05640100-1426461368_thumb.jpg

The first three of 80220/99318/99723 were disassembled and dunked in brake fluid.

post-408-0-66285200-1426461412_thumb.jpg

As the coaches are in bits, I've taken the opportunity to pare down the roof ribs - mostly by scraping with a curve scalpel blade.

This shows a roof or two part way through.

post-408-0-07041000-1426461414_thumb.jpg

The other main detail to be removed is the upper three steps on the ends - left to right, before/during/after

post-408-0-48411000-1426461415_thumb.jpg

And here's 80220 with two large cutouts to be fitted with roller shutter doors.

post-408-0-07455600-1426461417_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

I too am producing railtour stock for my layout. I have photos of most of the West Coast and some of the Pilkington coaches.

Any you need more of , give me a shout.

Merf

Hi Merf,

Thanks for the offer - if you have any of those listed in post #1034, I'd be most grateful. I already have a few, but I always believe you can never have too many!

Cheers,

Mick

Will dig some out in the morning Mick.   One to be going on with showing the maroon differences, left Scottish R P S, right West Coast

ps. Are those Pullman parlour seconds going into maroon livery ?

If so , as the  blue / grey are a bit hard to find and I want some, would you be prepared to do a swap for just the sides for other liveried ones. If they have not already gone in the brake fluid ?

Merf.

post-1625-0-97407400-1426462696_thumb.jpg

Edited by Merfyn Jones
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Will dig some out in the morning Mick.   One to be going on with showing the maroon differences, left Scottish R P S, right West Coast

Searching pics of my SRPS/WCRC Mk1 FO's and they do seem a bit "weather beaten"................

The plan - if I remember - is to paint the coaches in batches of 3 or 4 at a time, using slightly different shades of maroon.

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 2