Newbryford's mostly Yellow workbench - "it's a drag, man......."

• RMweb Premium

A great weekend at DEMU Showcase.

Catching up with old friends and maybe making a few new ones.

As usual, I got b*gger all done physically [*], but I hope a few of you gained a bit of inspiration to go and hack/paint some RTR stuff.

[*] Managed to make a start on another BUO and I blanked out most of the windows ahead of hacking out them out again to replace with smaller windows and doors.

I referred back to this thread for a couple of visitors and it reminded me to make a start on replacing the lost photos. I was giving it a bit of time to see if the older ones would be replaced.....

So - as long as I can pull my finger out - I'll start working backwards through the thread with replacing the same (or similar) pics over the next few weeks/months.

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 2

When I got there on Sunday all Mick seemed interested in was the free coffee and his Sunday roast…… 🤨

Only joking, great to catch up Mick. I too picked up some tips and good advice from you.

Thanks,

Jack.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, newbryford said:

A great weekend at DEMU Showcase.

Catching up with old friends and maybe making a few new ones.

As usual, I got b*gger all done physically [*], but I hope a few of you gained a bit of inspiration to go and hack/paint some RTR stuff.

[*] Managed to make a start on another BUO and I blanked out most of the windows ahead of hacking out them out again to replace with smaller windows and doors.

I referred back to this thread for a couple of visitors and it reminded me to make a start on replacing the lost photos. I was giving it a bit of time to see if the older ones would be replaced.....

So - as long as I can pull my finger out - I'll start working backwards through the thread with replacing the same (or similar) pics over the next few weeks/months.

Have I missed the BUO’s somewhere Mick? I’d be interested to hear how you are approaching these. 

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, cairnsroadworks said:

Have I missed the BUO’s somewhere Mick? I’d be interested to hear how you are approaching these. 

Looks like the first BUO wasn't posted on the workbench....

Blank out where the windows are either blanked or need replacing with a smaller window or door.

BUO1.jpg.341bfbcb12bf340f9070ae9cb2dd23cd.jpg

Cut out for the new doors/windows - adding supports for the new sections

buo1a.jpg.66dab2844bc4286c8a54fbece953418f.jpg

And graft in sections donated by a BSO

buo2a.jpg.d81e49048ba3cd9c8072e1ad8e2c5aa0.jpg

buo2.jpg.b00f718de17456a62be773280c24b4b0.jpg

Fill/sand as previous coaches.

For some reason, I haven't got post fill/sand/paint pics and this is about the only one I could find of it in use at Ally Pally show. Without handrails or door handles - they have since been added!

buo3.jpg.00fabe503b575ab7ee41b399314cb40f.jpg

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

20 minutes ago, newbryford said:

Looks like the first BUO wasn't posted on the workbench....

Blank out where the windows are either blanked or need replacing with a smaller window or door.

BUO1.jpg.341bfbcb12bf340f9070ae9cb2dd23cd.jpg

Cut out for the new doors/windows - adding supports for the new sections

buo1a.jpg.66dab2844bc4286c8a54fbece953418f.jpg

And graft in sections donated by a BSO

buo2a.jpg.d81e49048ba3cd9c8072e1ad8e2c5aa0.jpg

buo2.jpg.b00f718de17456a62be773280c24b4b0.jpg

Fill/sand as previous coaches.

For some reason, I haven't got post fill/sand/paint pics and this is about the only one I could find of it in use at Ally Pally show.

buo3.jpg.00fabe503b575ab7ee41b399314cb40f.jpg

Wow looks great Mick, thanks. I’m looking at getting some 3D printed “inserts” to allow cutting of TSOs and not harming BSOs but we will see. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, cairnsroadworks said:

I’m looking at getting some 3D printed “inserts” to allow cutting of TSOs and not harming BSOs

The workmanship is brilliant here; I don’t have the skill to do the filling like newbryford so I went the 3D print approach too:

My latest one I managed to print each side in 1 piece and it uses the TSO glazing.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, cairnsroadworks said:

Wow looks great Mick, thanks. I’m looking at getting some 3D printed “inserts” to allow cutting of TSOs and not harming BSOs but we will see. 

A cheap BSO body will donate parts to 3-4 coaches - be it BUO/DBSO (RTOV)/HSTRC/PLPR

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Meanwhile.

The mammoth task of reinstating photos after the Great Outage begins.....

Halfway through page 1.

Let's see how much I can get done during some enforced sitting around for the next 10 days or so.....

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1

7 hours ago, newbryford said:

Meanwhile.

Halfway through page 1.

Let's see how much I can get done during some enforced sitting around for the next 10 days or so.....

Working sitting around you must work on railway! 

Hi Mick,

Quick question - Myself and my brother had a great chat with you at DEMU, I'm trying to progress with some NR stock - cut an shut, filling windows etc but first I want to know what you recommend (process and product) when stripping the paint off the body before any work begins. Once this is done I am planning the filling stage! Also, when filling the windows is there anything you particularly suggest? 

thanks again

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, WCML100 said:

Hi Mick,

Quick question - Myself and my brother had a great chat with you at DEMU, I'm trying to progress with some NR stock - cut an shut, filling windows etc but first I want to know what you recommend (process and product) when stripping the paint off the body before any work begins. Once this is done I am planning the filling stage! Also, when filling the windows is there anything you particularly suggest? 

thanks again

I usually strip Airfix/Mainline Mk2s in DOT4 brake fluid.

92-93% IPA is usually used for other body shells.

DOT4 will soften Bachmann plastic.

Usual disclaimer - try it on a non-visible area.......

My primary material for filling widows is 30 or 40thou styrene.

• Thanks 1

Meanwhile.

Hope you are a bit more organised than me, Mick.

Finding individual photo files amongst fifty odd folders of photos on Peak Forest has proved............interesting.

I couldn't always tell from the context whether I was looking for a photo of the real thing or a model. 'Wordless Wednesday' is definately the worst .  I think I'm going to start a routine post called 'No Context'. The search function has all but melted the laptop.

And I've only got 11 pages.

But reversing the Great Outage has probably reconnected me to the hobby.

Good luck!

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, njee20 said:

How are you doing the ‘peeling’ vinyls, Mick? They look superb!

Thanks Nick.

Working from photos, I paint on Maskol around where the "vinyl is torn".

Generally, I will put on the main surround and then add the "detail" with a small brush/cocktail stick.

hyagraf7.jpg.ec0be5967c8c8c7a935c0830f1439258.jpg

hyagraf8.jpg.69af09629e2994226f3a944c9bed77c8.jpg

Let it set for 24 hours.

Then paint over with a mix of Humbrol Gunmetal (#53) and a light grey (#75)

hyagraf9.jpg.10c1bd8037681c544d635cf17b3f12f1.jpg

hygraf10.jpg.33ebfa47438b5752980f57757a0a589c.jpg

Leave to dry overnight and then peel off the Maskol.

hyagraf11.jpg.cdb98d7278aab1615b9cb7c04962b3cb.jpg

hyagraf12.jpg.65efc67842dc9ecc25be06e03cbf8f47.jpg

In a couple of cases, I've completed the tagging, then carried out the "torn vinyl" treatment.

A bit of final weathering with stone dust and that's it.

• Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• newbryford changed the title to Newbryford's mostly Yellow workbench - it's all about the (price) tag....
13 hours ago, newbryford said:

Another 4 nearly finished.

Torn vinyl effect and weathering to complete.

20220912_220614.jpg.04bc28b136393afbb58e7010c4fe2b1e.jpg

They're lovely Mick. You wouldn't happen to know the number of the Nacco one do you, so I can take a look on Flickr? 

Jo

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, Steadfast said:

They're lovely Mick. You wouldn't happen to know the number of the Nacco one do you, so I can take a look on Flickr? 

Jo

It's copied from 371033.

No pic that jumps out on flickr.

I'll send you mine via PM

Edited by newbryford
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

one for you mick, pics on facebook of 5995 newly outshopped in network rail yellow with window bars fitted from its DRS loco hauled days.  It's almost one of those rare ones you can just paint a MK2 yellow and call it done! if you're willing to overlook the underframe boxes and aircon fan that is. no doubt it will appear in the Hornby 2023 range 

• Thanks 1