Newbryford's mostly Yellow workbench - "it's a drag, man......."

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, virginhst539 said:

one for you mick, pics on facebook of 5995 newly outshopped in network rail yellow with window bars fitted from its DRS loco hauled days.  It's almost one of those rare ones you can just paint a MK2 yellow and call it done! if you're willing to overlook the underframe boxes and aircon fan that is. no doubt it will appear in the Hornby 2023 range 

Already noted.

It was painted a couple months back.

July 2022 pic

5995-DT-22072022-1

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, Phil Mc said:

I reckon there's at least 2 that you've done the prototype for Mi(c)k.....😅😅

Cheers,

Phil.

Not guilty - I prefer to use my paint in smaller quantities!

• Funny 1

• 1 month later...
  • newbryford changed the title to Newbryford's mostly Yellow workbench - burnt fingers time.
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Quite honoured to be listed in the BRMA nominations.

Must get on with the NVA, now that I have a suitable chassis for it.

In the meantime, a simple "win" project was a renumber/rename of 68019 Brutus to 68022 Resolution using the Railtec pack. Ready to power the Accurascale Mk5 TPE set that arrived a few days ago.

Taking note that 68019 can only be renumbered 68020-025 as it is a Vossloh built loco - unlike 68026 onwards that are Stadler build.

There is no obvious external difference apart from visibly different worksplates......

In the same order to Railtec, I also picked up the East Midlands renumber/name pack.

I was going to simply name the Bachmann model "Eastcroft Depot" without renumbering it, but fancied 158864 "ELR50" instead

A simple sharp thumbnail removed the side numbers and a bit of IPA on a cotton bud worked on the lower cab front numbers.

20 minutes later and all done.

But then - one of those "DOH!" moments.

It was named in 2020, after the formation of EMR (East Midlands Regional) and carries appropriate branding to match.

So another order has gone in to Railtec for some EMR decals - they should arrive tomorrow or the day after. So that's a few minutes modelling time booked in.

The pack includes enough of them (and colours) for me to proceed with a repaint of my other Relatrack EMT 156 into EMR purple/white, using some paint kindly donated by @jack374 from his 222 project.

Once I've done that, I'll try and post a quick pic, along with 68022.

If I get chance, I'll graffiti up a few GBRF MJAs as I managed to snap a few that have been running my way in the past few weeks.

The MJA rake doesn't often get a run out, but I'm hoping that it will over the three days of the Glasgow show in just over three weeks as I'lltry to rotate some train formations and locos

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 9

• RMweb Premium
23 hours ago, newbryford said:

So another order has gone in to Railtec for some EMR decals - they should arrive tomorrow or the day after. So that's a few minutes modelling time booked in.

For a few £, I have something other than a standard RTR 158. @railtec-models make it so easy to do this.

158864.jpg.1cc473a137784893b60c18379497399a.jpg

• Like 18
  • Round of applause 1

• newbryford changed the title to Newbryford's mostly Yellow workbench - multi-coloured paint time - again.
  • RMweb Premium

More graffiti copied from the real thing.

There's a few details still to be added and then a general toning down of the colours.

They should be having a run on Deadmans Lane at Model Rail Scotland in a couple of weeks.

MJA.jpg.54919f209c99739ab18e20f103b39048.jpg

• Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Mick

I enjoyed seeing Deadman’s Lane at Model Rail Scotland, I managed to get a good amount of time to watch what was being run and the detail.  I was hoping to catch you, never had the chance.  I did get to have a good chat with Roland, he has been very helpful for me the last couple of months with my scratchbuilds, offering advice and pictures.

Out of curiosity, what kadees to you use? I am thinking about going down that line.

Many thanks

Iain

• RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, The Angry Scotsman said:

Hi Mick

I enjoyed seeing Deadman’s Lane at Model Rail Scotland, I managed to get a good amount of time to watch what was being run and the detail.  I was hoping to catch you, never had the chance.  I did get to have a good chat with Roland, he has been very helpful for me the last couple of months with my scratchbuilds, offering advice and pictures.

Out of curiosity, what kadees to you use? I am thinking about going down that line.

Many thanks

Iain

Hi Iain,

Glad you liked the layout.

Most of the yellow stuff that doesn't have NEM pockets use #5 or #26 Kadees.

If it has a NEM pocket, then it's usually a #18 or a #19. Sometimes a #20 if the pocket is set too far back.

All of them are set to the standard height using a Kadee height gauge.

We did have three of Roland's coaches on the layout for the weekend.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi Mick

Hopefully yourself and followers can help me.  I am currently scratchbuilding coach 5981 and was told the roof had changed.  The PLPR test train was in Aberdeen on Saturday night about 2320.  I took a crude photo

AE3706B1-4AA5-4E65-95BB-4D52092E59F7.jpeg.347764277005839a3e4d38c417817308.jpeg

Does anyone know what they are, or even better have a clearer photo?

Many thanks

Iain

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, The Angry Scotsman said:

Hi Mick

Hopefully yourself and followers can help me.  I am currently scratchbuilding coach 5981 and was told the roof had changed.  The PLPR test train was in Aberdeen on Saturday night about 2320.  I took a crude photo

AE3706B1-4AA5-4E65-95BB-4D52092E59F7.jpeg.347764277005839a3e4d38c417817308.jpeg

Does anyone know what they are, or even better have a clearer photo?

Many thanks

Iain

Hi Iain,

They are forever adding/deleting stuff on the roof - they're probably aerials of some type. I saw 5981 last week on it's way north (3rd vehicle). It should be back my way on Friday pm - I might try and get a better pic.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

The 37s didn't return as planned as one of them failed up north.

In the meantime - I will be at the DEMU Showcase event on 17/18 June at Sutton Coldfield Town Hall doing a demo.

My topic for this year should involve lots of different coloured paints.....

https://www.demu.org.uk/showcase/showcase-2023

demuflyer1.jpg.a9776cbb3f65d56f629eee59b525b237.jpgdemuflyer2.jpg.5080d6526f7cb583067a702e6a6e8bd6.jpg

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 7

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

It's been a bit quiet on the stock front. Finally managed a bit of progress on some yellow stuff.

The NVA has now acquired a coat of primer - probably needs a bit more relief on the roof to break the flat panel.

NVA.jpg.a68ab42dab398d14504d1bc8e9bdaf89.jpg

A recent acquisition has been a 3D print of UTU 62384 from @LMSfan72.

(The UTUs are pretty much the "missing link" on the DL roster (along with 975091 MENTOR- but look out for an update on that soon)

A crisp print with very little cleaning up to do.

The only other thing I've done is to remove the printed handrails as they seemed a bit fragile and drilled holes for wire replacements. 

Ends glued onto the sides - a tiny bit of filler will cover up the joints.

62384b.jpg.ec740840c5cec3002d7b546784f25a7f.jpg

62384a.jpg.f5a4a3c6a85bcd39c6de886f86e22d45.jpg

Hopefully, it won't be as long before the next DL stock update.

p.s. Don't forget, I'll be at the DEMU Showcase in June (see a few posts up) doing graffiti stuff instead of the more usual yellow projects (although one of the graffiti subjects I'm planning to take is yellow!)

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 14