New announcements from Bachmann

Andy Y

I don't know how many people who have posted on this topic have been to the Model Trade Show at Coventry Transport Museum. As a member of the Bachmann Collectors Club, I had an invite and went but was disappointed as I couldn't get anywhere near the display cabinets in which the Branchline stuff was exhibited. It was a bit like a rugby scrum! I think a lot more people turned up than Bachmann anticipated.

So a note to the organisers- if you repeat this exercise, can you try and spread the displays out so everyone can get a look.

Like others iI'd hoped for some new Southern EMUs (slam-door and newer Desiro) and some renumbering / re-liveries of the 2EPB. But I'm aware that despite good intentions I've yet to buy the second version of the blue-grey 4Cep because I've taken comfort in many remaining on shelves. Then there's the MLV out soon, plus I still want the LM Desiros and the MPV. So to be fair to Bachmann I need to play catch-up and start buying some existing offerings before I can be rewarded with something new.

I wouldn't be surprised if Bachmann allows someone to produce a blue-grey EPB without NSE flashes. Otherwise it might be in next year's collection, along with the refurbished CEPs and SWT Desiro. Here's hoping!

So a note to the organisers- if you repeat this exercise, can you try and spread the displays out so everyone can get a look.

Obviously I sympathise Geoff but the event was initially organised for the retailers to be briefed on the new announcements and current developments. I thought it was a nice touch that the event was opened up to Collectors Club members and it's interesting to hear that it was so well supported in that vein. To provide more space in this context would undoubtedly increase costs for the organisers and Bachmann and this should be borne in mind. An alternative may be to limit entry in some form.

• RMweb Premium

Bachmann's announcements include another weathered N Class, this time 31404 with late crest. The product code on the Bachmann website, 32-154A, puts it with the smaller flat sided tender, but I thought all the 314xx batch had the higher capacity 4000 gallon tenders with curved top. The SEMG website data doesn't cover individual tenders, although all photos on there of 314xx locos have the 4000 gallon variety. Can anyone confirm please which type of tender 31404 should have.

Incidentally, the SEMG website has a 1964 dated photo of the current release 31869 and this is shown with a flat sided tender (with late crest mind you) not the 4000 gallon one Bachmann has modelled it with http://www.semgonline.com/steam/nclass_03.html (half way down the page). Might have to swop the tenders over...

EDIT: to add link to photos

• RMweb Gold

Certainly when built it was (3)1400 to (3)1414 that were paired with the 4000 gallon slope sided tenders with the rest of the class having the flat sided 3500 gallon tender. There may have been tender swaps during their lives but I have not seen this documented anywhere yet (but there is a book planned which will contain such data) I am assuming that Bachmann would have some evidence to show that their choice is correct for the time the model is representing.

• RMweb Gold

I get the impression from this thread that there really was another rialway than the GWR....surely that cant be so?

Apparently that is indeed the case Mickey (and even one apart from the NER - which I know about as a number of relatives had worked for them and a couple of them even worked for something called the LNER :O ).

The once numerous L&YR 2-4-2T's in all their guises ran where one might expect, but one was transferred to Bedford circa 1957-8.

The preserved 1008, which I presume has been scanned, is in original round top condition. I wonder where the info came from that says the model will be a Belpaire version?

• RMweb Gold

The once numerous L&YR 2-4-2T's in all their guises ran where one might expect, but one was transferred to Bedford circa 1957-8.

The preserved 1008, which I presume has been scanned, is in original round top condition. I wonder where the info came from that says the model will be a Belpaire version?

I wondered that too - their website illustrates one of the locos they have listed as being modelled and it has a round top firebox (as I believe does one of the other prototype numbers they list) so it seems they're heading for the round top version.

Well, Bachmann didn't shy away from competing with Hornby and Heljan on the 47, and seeing as a number of people have posted that Heljan have allegedly dropped the 86, and given that the 86 had a long life, several detail changes over the years, and a lot of livery options, frankly I think the market is still open for an 86 to the standard the Bachmann 85 looks to be achieving.

I agree an 81 would be wonderful, an 87 overdue, but the 86 was the most numerous and common AC type, so probably, if capable of being produced with the various detail mods over the years, ought to be commercially attractive - and there ought to be room for Hornby's model at the right price in the Railroad range, and possibly even Heljan's if they replace the roof mounted National Grid pylon with a pantograph and price it competitively, even though it is only really suitable for the late 90's on. There were 100 AL6's built after all which should allow for plenty of sales.

Good points above.

Not much in Bachmann's 2012 Programme for me (not really in-to obscure kettles). Good selection of new Class 47's but I already have two (Serk) 'Banger Blue' TOPS examples (can live with the Class 57 rivets).

The Class 85 and B*** P****** are on my on my shopping list, otherwise we will have to see if 2013 will bring the 'air cons', Mk1 FO and the inevitable three car version of the Class 101.

The LYR model will be fun for conversions. Any 2-4-2T with an 8' 7" coupled wheelbase (or close) should be suitable even if it means adjusting the leading and trailing wheels. Might be difficult to get the LNWR 5' 6" tank on the chassis though.

What about a 4-4-2T? I am thinking out loud about the ex-LNER C12, but I suspect the wheelbase and or driving wheel diameters may be out.

Guest Max Stafford

I don't have an appropriate volume, but how does the diameter and wheelbase compare with the NBR's C15/16 4-4-2Ts?

Dave.

Guest Tom F

Some of us to the south of you Max have not been as luck as you... I still await my beloved K1, Q6, J21, with the latter I expect coming from Bachmann, the K1 from the Red Box co.

Previously, at every Bachmann annoucement Ive unleashed the fury of my verbal arsenal to vent the frustration of engines not being made for the region I and others adore - the NER region up till end of steam. Ive wondered, dispaired and erupted at the notions and ideas that Bachmanns list dont match the ones Id like to see made. When times were good with massive annoucement lists for catalogues my broadsides in frustration were met by shock and dismay by some as everyone was expected to be happy. I think its pretty insulting to Bachmanns teams reputation and intelligence that we need to behave as sycophants to plead with them for the model we would like, and now, with reduced lists to clear backlogs and in a downturn those same voices now irronically call for their models to be given the preferncial treatment to be made, for the same reasons Id hold for mine. I have many reasons to back up the claims that the engines Id prefer would be good busisness for the Barwell made company, views I still hold, believe and defend, so in many ways I would prefer them to make the Northern workhorses that used to ply their trade up north, and in so doing, support Bachmanns future as THE best model railway manufacturing company.

But my wishes yet again have not mirrored those in Leicestershire that have done their research, and while others are fortunate to recieve the models they enjoy, again I feel lost in a wilderness desolate about the ignomy of being part of a minority seeminly ignored by many. We loyal few that remain still cling to the notion that one day that Bachmanns fortunes would mirror our own selections, and not that these might be produced in one go, but some over many years and slowly our region might gain a fleet that we could model. Others in recent years have been fortunate that their long waits have ended. They have been rewarded by their patience by an engine or two, those in Scotland being the obvious beneficaries this year. Others have been ones for overhead electric locomotives, or Southern modellers who wanted the third rail slam door stock to finish the pool of engines and trains in their region.

Bachmann are indeed market and pioneering leaders in this sector. DCC has been their vanguard of progress with detail and additions such as switches for lighting, and choice of prototypes linked to a balanced fleet of models across all time eras served, shows their think and know where the gaps are in the market. As a result, I would expect that the NER must feature somewhere on that list of possibilities the company could enter into, but they are the ones that do the market research and know the trade better than any contributor to this forum.

I wont deny, there are some elements on Bachmanns list that I enjoy, because of an interest in Modern Image, but that notion of modelling the North East, with an affordable fleet made by RTR, is looking ever distant so when those in Leicestershire sit reading this thread this year, this time round, Id hope timid silence on expressing my opinion is all the more thunderous overall.

I do wonder if it is this kind of post that frankly puts Bachmann off producing North Eastern prototypes.

I am a North Eastern modeller, but I don't go off one like a petulant child when I don't get what I want. If you want a K1, J21 etc....three options.

1. Build one of the many kits available.

2. Save some money and commission one of the top modellers to build said loco.

3. Put up and wait.

What I see is quite a balanced release from Bachmann. A J11 was a widely used locomotive which would have ventured into the North Eastern Region granted it's not a NE prototype.

As Max Stafford says, the North Eastern's time will come.....but to be perfectly frank, your recent postings on this matter do little to help the North Eastern cause.

Larry,

Surprised that it was the L&Y Tank, perhaps, that it is something out of LRM's catalogue is no surprise.last year the MR 3F, this year the L&Y Radial Tank, which one next?

Clearly, kit manufacturers have produced what they felt would sell, so it's no coincidence that Bachmann and Co would do the same and that there would be some "cross over" with any of the kit manufacturers. As the RTR manufacturers look for more prototypes to model, the obvious ones they will produce that ran over the longest period and especially into BR days as they are unlikely to produce the coaching stock to go with pre-group or early grouping versions of these locos.

Also, those that exist as preserved locos and can be "scanned", are the most likely candidates. So the majority of LNWR locos are unlikely to get RTR'd, Hardwick being the exception.

Any sarcasm I might have would be directed at those that so claim they so desperately need a particular model that they spend all their wishing for it on RMWeb, rather than getting on and building one. And reading the posts within these Bachmann threads, I don't think that those modellers would bother to build the 3F version of the L&Y Tank, or the round top boiler version of the MR 3F from a kit to go with their RTR model, do you? RTR is where their modelling lies, not in making things.

Jol

Jol

Bit harsh. Not everyone enjoys building locomotive kits (or has the ability to build them to an acceptable standard).

I think he is spot on.

I do wonder if it is this kind of post that frankly puts Bachmann off producing North Eastern prototypes.

I am a North Eastern modeller, but I don't go off one like a petulant child when I don't get what I want. If you want a K1, J21 etc....three options.

1. Build one of the many kits available.

2. Save some money and commission one of the top modellers to build said loco.

3. Put up and wait.

What I see is quite a balanced release from Bachmann. A J11 was a widely used locomotive which would have ventured into the North Eastern Region granted it's not a NE prototype.

As Max Stafford says, the North Eastern's time will come.....but to be perfectly frank, your recent postings on this matter do little to help the North Eastern cause.

Funny you should say that Tom. Those are exactly my thoughts too. Not sure if Mr Wilkinson has nodded off to sleep yet, but he is also goes for No 1.

If Bachmann or Hornby havn't announced it yet - tough cookie. Wait until Christmas day or the first week of January again.

I addition to above .

In these crap times we are living in, how many people how many can afford to buy a kit plus wheels motors etc etc?.

You will not get anything for £85.00 that Bachmann will sell the L&Y thats for sure. Chances are it wont turn out nowhere as good either

Talking the moral high ground about people not wanting to make kits is not in a lot of cases true. They simply cannot afford the outlay on any high level kit which hopefully may work when built or may not or just sit in a drawer forgotten or ebayed at a loss when they give up or need the money for something else far more important to that person at that time.

RTR is still a fairly cheap way into our hobby and without this hobby would be the niche for the wealthy/well off only. Not only that we are getting on the whole superb looking and running products , for which I for one are extremely grateful.

Well done to all the manafactuers !!

A simple way of selling kits is to reduce the profit margins . I have no idea what that margin maybe , but we are in hard times for virtually everybody.

Whilst the bodies of the RTR locos are in many ways superior to kits this is only a part solution for those of us that model the whole loco in 4mm scale. We still need to source a chassis wheels and motor which adds considerably to the cost to the extent that a kit may well be the cheaper option. An ideal solution would be for the manufacturers to sell the bodies only.

nowt like quoting half a page to add a "mee too" post :(

not you Phil

I presume you mean me but as it appeared on page 8 my comment would have been meaningless without the quote. A bit like yours really if I have got the wrong end of the stick.

Archived