Bachmann announce Class 101 DMU

Andy Y

Try this for size:

Thanks all and a couple of nice photos, including a very evocative shot of an immaculate NSE unit departing Cambridge. Stewart, did you take that? There’s also a good one in ‘Diesels on the Eastern’ taken at Melton Constable in ’62, in original green livery and quoted as ‘comprising two cars from the first batch (of 58).’

Thanks all and a couple of nice photos, including a very evocative shot of an immaculate NSE unit departing Cambridge. Stewart, did you take that? There’s also a good one in ‘Diesels on the Eastern’ taken at Melton Constable in ’62, in original green livery and quoted as ‘comprising two cars from the first batch (of 58).’

As it happens, yes I did!

Stewart

I believe the Buffet cars were just loose coaches added to three car sets, (or replacing a TSO in a four car set) for the NE region. I also think I'm right in saying they were exactly the same window pattern as a TSO just with the window aperture plated over. They even had the aluminium window frames still in place.

I'm sure someone will be able to clarify this though.

Cheers.

Sean.

http://album.atomic-systems.com/showPic.php/39357/TBS.jpg

• Like 1

On one of the DVD's (Diesel/Electric on 35mm?) there is definitely a four coach Scottish Region class 101 green set going into Edinburgh Waverley circa 1962 and one of coaches clearly has 'BUFFET' on it. Scope for a limited edition run if Bachmann do a centre car.

A bit like the Hornby Dublo one but to modern standards.

Couldnt a 101 be back-dated with the addition of the skirts , MU jumpers etc?

The early Triang one, but that was too short, is the one you probably mean. And I've just backdated a Lima one too....

Stewart

Problem with the others is they were rather region specific, whilst the 101 was a lot more widely spread. Personally I'm waiting for the NSE one, hope it's not too long in the pipeline!

Class 120s were pretty well travelled.

And nobody's made one of those before.

Surely there is a market for "centre cars" as Tri-ang used to call them. I would certainly love to (re)run a 4 car North Eastern Region Metro-Cammell dmu train of the type I remember seeing on the Durham coast line.

Regards to all,

Brian.

Surely there is a market for "centre cars" as Tri-ang used to call them. I would certainly love to (re)run a 4 car North Eastern Region Metro-Cammell dmu train of the type I remember seeing on the Durham coast line.

The thing with the 'centre car' mentality is that you can't (authentically) just add them at will as one would have with the old Triang sets of the '60s, because your usual 2-car DMU is usually a power/trailer combo which in reality, wouldnt have sufficient power:weight ratio. What's needed is for the driving trailer compo to be modified into a motor compo, which then gives two power cars that can either run together as a 'power twin', or can cope with up to two trailers. This is what Bachmann have already done with their 108, and could theoretically also do with the 105.

As I commented earlier in this thread though, a typical NER 4-car set had the brake in one of the trailers, which would necessitate a further body tool

• Like 1

What's needed is for the driving trailer compo to be modified into a motor compo, which then gives two power cars that can either run together as a 'power twin', or can cope with up to two trailers.

Back in the day this was quite easy to do with the Triang Metro Cammell as the underfloor 'detail' was an interchangeable clip fit unit in either motor or trailer versions. Not quite to modern standards though!

• Like 1

The early Triang one, but that was too short, is the one you probably mean. And I've just backdated a Lima one too....

Stewart

Yep thats it, I knew it was pre Hornby just got the wrong one.

Nice pic, but to me thats a standard 101, of whatever variation. I'm looking for the "pre-101" that never made TOPS. Thats the 79xxx number series, with the skirt below the bufferbeam.

Stewart

Stewart,

The Bacup sets ??

post-1161-0-05755800-1332106129.jpg

Sorry no date, but obviously whilst the New East Box was being constructed.

HTH

Edited by DerekEm8
  • Like 2

The thing with the 'centre car' mentality is that you can't (authentically) just add them at will as one would have with the old Triang sets of the '60s, because your usual 2-car DMU is usually a power/trailer combo which in reality, wouldnt have sufficient power:weight ratio. What's needed is for the driving trailer compo to be modified into a motor compo, which then gives two power cars that can either run together as a 'power twin', or can cope with up to two trailers. This is what Bachmann have already done with their 108, and could theoretically also do with the 105.

As I commented earlier in this thread though, a typical NER 4-car set had the brake in one of the trailers, which would necessitate a further body tool

Yes, fully realise what you are saying but all I am suggesting is there might be a market for center/centre or however it is spelt, mental or otherwise, cars being provided by the original manufacturer, Bachy in this case. I assume you are suggesting this is non starter, manufacturer wise.

I must find my slides taken at the time, somewhere in the loft, to establish what dmu "consists" ran between Newcastle and Middlesborough via Sunderland and Hartlepool and whether they were "typical NER 4-car" sets.

Regards,

Brian

Assuming the 101 is to a similar standard as their other DMUs at about 3 times the cost of a Lima one it would fall far, far short of 3 times as good IMHO. It was an obvious choice to do after the n gauge one but it's a huge shame it's not one of the 115-118 family.

My big worry is it leaves the door wide open for Heljan and I have little hope that they will do anything other than badly cock it up.

Cheers

Jim

Did Heljan cock up the W&M railbus then?

• Like 2

I'm with Jim S-W on this on this one.

It will no doubt be the best 101 around when it comes out, but that doesn't automatically make it accurate. ( they used the 108 for a 107, when theres a world of difference between the two units ) so they have form for it.

As per a lot of Lima models - yes they require a lot of work putting into them - dimentionally they are pretty much spot on. The 31 for instance is far more an accurate representation than anything Hornby have attempted with it.

I appreciate that most will be satisfied with the appearance of the Bachmann 101 and they should be applauded for continuing to bring out these models. Personally, I think I'll continue to use Lima 101 bodies on scratch built chassis, mixed in with a little bit of DC kits parts for good measure..............

• Like 2

Did Heljan cock up the W&M railbus then?

Didn't cock up the Clayton either (well not the body / bogies anyhow)!

As for the Bachmann 101 I'm sure it'll be a considerable improvement over anything that's been before - what else is missed / left off / got wrong I'm sure will be easy to fix for those that care to do it (Not everyone considers an error to be worthy of running down a manufacturers entire output).

Edited by Bob-65b
  • Like 3

It will no doubt be the best 101 around when it comes out, but that doesn't automatically make it accurate. ( they used the 108 for a 107, when theres a world of difference between the two units ) so they have form for it.

I don't really think that Bachmann can be blamed for that, it was a commission for Model Rail/Harburn Hobbies who knew it was wrong but decided to go ahead with it.

I must admit that I'm quite partial to the Lima 101 (I've got half a dozen of them) but I'm not going to write off the Bachmann one before they've even done any work on the tooling.

• Like 4

...(they used the 108 for a 107, when theres a world of difference between the two units ) so they have form for it.

As Gary says, an unfair comment. It was the commissioning retailer's choice; using an existing model for that purpose is a world apart from the (theoretical) possibility of cocking up a new one. Given that the 108 was the first ever decent 1st gen DMU, the Cravens improved on the 108, and the DLW has in turn improved on the Cravens, I'm certainly not fretting at this stage.

Yes, fully realise what you are saying but all I am suggesting is there might be a market for center/centre or however it is spelt, mental or otherwise, cars being provided by the original manufacturer, Bachy in this case. I assume you are suggesting this is non starter, manufacturer wise.

Not saying it's a non starter Brian, just pointing out the necessary considerations; not just for yourself but for other readers who might not be so clued up on DMU formations. If I were a betting man, I'd say a 3-car Bachy 101 is very likely, in due course.

Edited by Pennine MC