Bachmann announce Class 101 DMU

Andy Y

You'd have to come forward a couple of years (61/62) as a few were based in Birmingham by then.

As "Roy Langridge" has suggested Order 3C is the relevant section of that link and they covered a large swathe of the LMR on secondary and branchine routes.

• RMweb Premium

I just purchased one of these(because I liked it!! and it is a lovely mdel), only to find out that they seemed to be concentrated in the North-East, did they run on the LMR in the late fifties at all, I've searched but can't find any evidence of it and 1959 Ian Allan loco shed directory isn't much help.

Rgds...............Mike

I have pictures of 2 car units operating the Bury bolton street to Bacup service.

Edit to add 1959 and 1961 and found 2 more pictures of the same service at Knowsley Street on the way to Victoria, also 1959.

Edited by dhjgreen
  • Like 1

If you bought a two car and a three car is needed, there is always the Lima/ Limby version of the centre car you could try - ebay is a source possibly. Might not be a precise paint match however.

John.

I've done almost exactly that. I managed to get a (good) bargain 101 a little while back from Rails. This enabled me to rebuild the driving trailer car from my original 2-car green unit, into a (dummy) driving motor. I then took a blue Lima centre car, and mounted this on a Bachmann underframe. All wheels were wired for pickup, lights and any DCC wiring removed.

Stewart

• Like 1

This is a handy piccie find.  A power trailer Met Camm set working a Trent Valley service in 1961

http://www.nuneatonhistory.com/uploads/1/8/6/8/18680466/6551166_orig.jpg

This is a handy page - a borrowed ex works unit working a special shuttle service to Castle Bromwich for a trade fai.

http://www.railcar.co.uk/images/5642

• Like 1

Have to say that there were some detail differences with the Met Camms which I don't fully understand. Some builds had traditional oleo buffers bolted to the buffer beams, but some seem to have a spacer block between the buffer base and the buffer beam. Perhaps they were all built like the latter, and maybe some changed over time ? 

Here is a link to the "spacer buffers"

http://www.railcar.co.uk/images/4005

Edited by Covkid

Perhaps this kind of buffer was fitted late in life maybe ?

http://www.railcar.co.uk/images/4884

Notice also the difference in "swan necks" to the vacuum hoses. Some were low and some were high !!!

The early Met Camms had Turton and Platt self contained spring buffers (the ones with a spacer) the late batches 514xx had Oleo buffers from new. As the Turton and Platt ones wore out and no news were available, Oleos were fitted.  

The vac pipes were altered by the LMR to the high low position and was repeated on later batches for the LMR, ER and Scr. 

Al Taylor

The picture at New Street is of one of the LMR 2 car Rolls Royce sets.

I got myself one of the marked down examples that seem to be everywhere at the moment; an indication that Bachmann originally went beyond the level that most people were prepared to pay or just massively overestimated demand? It is a lovely model, which looks the part and runs extremely well. However my example seemed a little plagued by poor application in places of the silver window surround paint. 

• Like 2

I got myself one of the marked down examples that seem to be everywhere at the moment; an indication that Bachmann originally went beyond the level that most people were prepared to pay or just massively overestimated demand? It is a lovely model, which looks the part and runs extremely well. However my example seemed a little plagued by poor application in places of the silver window surround paint. 

I got the green one with small yellow panel from rails.

Mine had black marks on the wheels, similar to what youd find if the wheels needed cleaning. I did wonder if either they were returns/refurbs.

But mine runs well so not really worth returning it.

I got the green one with small yellow panel from rails.

Mine had black marks on the wheels, similar to what youd find if the wheels needed cleaning. I did wonder if either they were returns/refurbs.

But mine runs well so not really worth returning it.

They are not refurb/return models, but factory fresh just at discounted prices. I have two myself and I am really happy with them. Both run great and if anyone was interested in getting one now surely is the time

Becoming very cheap now, have seen the Blue and Grey unit under £80 new. Surprised Bachmann have not released a Regional variant of the unit. I would say there is demand for multiple versions of the Regional unit perhaps an ex works early 90's version as well as a weathered and worn unit in its later years.

Well after reading how cheap the blue/grey ones are I decided to visit Rails website and relived the visa card of £190 for a 101, a centro 150 and a bridge, ta Jenny!  :senile:

• Like 1

Becoming very cheap now, have seen the Blue and Grey unit under £80 new.

Could I ask where?  Not that £93 including P&P isnt a bargain in this day & age, I don't care about the liveries as I don't want the bodies.

Becoming very cheap now, have seen the Blue and Grey unit under £80 new.

Could I ask where?  Not that £93 including P&P isnt a bargain in this day & age, I don't care about the liveries as I don't want the bodies.

• RMweb Premium

https://railsofsheffield.com/class-101-2-car-dmu-br-blue-grey-32-287-Bachmann-JJJA18910.aspx

Having seen Jenny's excellent video in post #187, I've now ordered one as well (from Rails). The great thing about showing the models being removed from their boxes is that it also shows that the accessory pack includes a speaker enclosure, and there are already holes moulded under the speaker position. And that's in the power car as well.

So should be much easier to fit a sound chip than the earlier ones. 

Also it was good to see how the coupling bar that also electrically connects the two cars works.

Thanks, Jenny!

101 was delivered lunchtime the day after I'd ordered it.  Extremely well packed, always is with Rails. Armed with the un-boxing info from Jenny's video it wasn't long before it was running round the loft. 

Very quiet and smooth straight out of the box. Runs very slowly as well. Impressed with the lights.

The finish is very good, no chips on the window surround like Jenny's.

Running in on DC at moment but plan is to fit sound chip. The instructions look clear to do that. My mate fitted sound to a 108 but found it tricky, however the 101 has speaker surround, holes in floor under speaker position and only needs one chip due to electrical connection between the 2 cars so should be an easier job.

Thanks for heads-ups about the current availability of these, great addition for layout. [esp at £79.50  :-)  ]

Edited by railroadbill
  • Like 1

• 3 years later...

Meanwhile ..... I was lucky enough to win an NSE one off the 'bay auction site recently.  The factory sound had been removed which was great for me as I wanted to fit it with one of my own choice.

Most prototype NSE units were finished with black cab window surrounds so I carefully removed the glazing and painted mine with Humbrol satin black.  I'm pleased with the look of it.  But now I really must weather down those silver buffers!

PICT0042.JPG

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Legend said:

I always thought it was a shame they didnt release a three car unit . Price probably prohibitive now .

Yes, a shame there isn't a 3 car set.  I thought I was being really smart and kept aside a couple of Hornby / Lima centre cars but then realised that both of the Bachmann cars would then need engines underneath.  Might as well eBay them off now.

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, cravensdmufan said:

Meanwhile ..... I was lucky enough to win an NSE one off the 'bay auction site recently.  The factory sound had been removed which was great for me as I wanted to fit it with one of my own choice.

Most prototype NSE units were finished with black cab window surrounds so I carefully removed the glazing and painted mine with Humbrol satin black.  I'm pleased with the look of it.  But now I really must weather down those silver buffers!

PICT0042.JPG

The Bachmann factory sound is one of the best DMU sound chips ive heard...you can get it as a reblow from SWD.

• Informative/Useful 1