Bachmann announce Class 101 DMU

Andy Y

Looks good, the roof vents seem a little flat and the upper weld line on the roof seems to be a bit heavy. Wonder which numbers it will carry as it seems the DMBS is an alternator fitted one as it lacks the dynamo and tonum panel.

Al Taylor 

• RMweb Premium

Thanks to Boscarne at 153 above for the photos of Bachmann's forthcoming Class 101. I think these are the first photos of it to appear anywhere.

I think this means that the SR Utility vans PLV/PMV/CCT are the only items from Bachmann's 2012-13 programme that have not yet seen the light of day. They weren't by any chance on display too? If they were, again a photo or photos would be much appreciated.

By the by, what was the Swanage event that Bachmann had a stand at yesterday? I don't see any reference to anything in the exhibitions thread.

John

Thanks to Boscarne at 153 above for the photos of Bachmann's forthcoming Class 101. I think these are the first photos of it to appear anywhere.

I think this means that the SR Utility vans PLV/PMV/CCT are the only items from Bachmann's 2012-13 programme that have not yet seen the light of day. They weren't by any chance on display too? If they were, again a photo or photos would be much appreciated.

By the by, what was the Swanage event that Bachmann had a stand at yesterday? I don't see any reference to anything in the exhibitions thread.

John

I presume it was the Diesel Gala at Swanage this weekend.

That 101 does look the business.

I would reserve further judgement until that rather contrasty spotlight isnt present.

Three quarter view does look heavy but then it is a grey model.

The more eye level shots of the same model dont look like its as pronounced

Ian

Is it me or are the Windscreen surrounds and marker lights a bit.....heavy?

• RMweb Premium

Bachy 101 looks good so far.  I can see eBay listing huge quantities of Limby DMU stock in the coming months as these appear on the shelves and perhaps at the same time as the Dapol bubblecars.

It's worthy mentioning that the item displayed at Swanage was an early engineering prototype. These get sprayed in grey for the design and production teams to more easily identify any areas which may need addressing before production, several issues already having been noted by said team.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Met Cams are about the only thing I feel comfortable having an opinion on really, as I rode on them so many times, so it's good to hear they are still developing it.  Neither issue will stop me buying one, I love 'em! The marker lights do protrude for sure, I'm just not sure how much, but the windscreen surrounds may well look better when painted indeed, but they are rather heavy at this stage.

Does anyone do a sound chip with a really farty exhaust, some of these units were quite noisy, oh rattly 'Widney' window frames too.....

• Like 1

It looks a nice model I just hope that Bachmann make it easier to install a single DCC decoder in this unit which controls the 2/3 coaches,with sufficient space to house it and that the internal lights will be able to be switched off!

XF

Hello Everyone,

Just spotted this on Bachmann's site 1 Decoder operation apparently, seems a logical move. The model looks good too.

http://www.Bachmann.co.uk/details.php?id=112&vis=2

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

• Like 1

What if Bachmann could take a chink out of Hornby's designers and offer the 101 with opening guard doors? where a little switch could go from switching between analoge and DCC now that would be something!

• 6 months later...

Hi,

Have you checked out the latest comments on the decorated versions that were at Warley NEC a couple of weeks ago?

Now thinking the Lima/Hornby bodies may actually be better!

Do I sense yet another hybrid looming? - i.e. old bodies on new Bachmann chassis?!

Hi,

Have you checked out the latest comments on the decorated versions that were at Warley NEC a couple of weeks ago?

Now thinking the Lima/Hornby bodies may actually be better!

Do I sense yet another hybrid looming? - i.e. old bodies on new Bachmann chassis?!

Do you have a link to the discussion and photos of the Warley sample?

• 3 years later...
  • RMweb Gold

I just purchased one of these(because I liked it!! and it is a lovely mdel), only to find out that they seemed to be concentrated in the North-East, did they run on the LMR in the late fifties at all, I've searched but can't find any evidence of it and 1959 Ian Allan loco shed directory isn't much help.

Rgds...............Mike

• RMweb Gold

I just purchased one of these(because I liked it!! and it is a lovely mdel), only to find out that they seemed to be concentrated in the North-East, did they run on the LMR in the late fifties at all, I've searched but can't find any evidence of it and 1959 Ian Allan loco shed directory isn't much help.

Rgds...............Mike

Have a read through this: http://www.railcar.co.uk/type/class-101/initial-operations

I think you may not find what you hope for though. Sorry.

Roy