Bachmann announce L&Y 2-4-2T

Andy Y

Bachamnn's website does not show any planned delivery date yet, nor has there been any sign of even a CAD drawing for them so we are still a good year or so away from the models hitting the shops I would guess. Better fit some flood defences to your mouth ;)

Thank you , does it perhaps fall into the category of Warley 2013 ?

• 3 weeks later...
Guest CLARENCE

I've pre-ordered one - used to see and travel behind them when I were a lad in the 50's and early 60's (to and from Ilkley on the Skipton to Leeds/Bradford branch.) Definitely going to have at least one on my little layout!

Cheers, David

Edited by CLARENCE

• 4 months later...

Hi all

Just a quick question, with regard to some of the earlier replies in this thread mentioning that some of these locos were push pull fitted is anyone able to tell me of any numbers of push pull fitted examples that match the details, short bunker etc, of the first of the Bachman releases please?

Ian

I should think you need a book on the L&Y Radial Tanks to give you the full information on combinations of boilers, bunkers and auto-vac equipment. I think three of the 2-4-2T's carried Westinghouse push & pull equipment within the cab for Blackpool local services until circa 1953.

• 3 months later...

Dad has had his L&Y Railway Society magazine arrive the other day saying they are going to be selling a batch of these in L&Y llined black as per 1008 @ NRM plus they are also doing some with an alternative number for the etched plate.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Touching on earlier posts in this thread, does anyone know the diameter of the leading and trailing wheels, and the distance from the wheel centres between these and the drivers and between the drivers? 

I'm afraid I'm not an L&Y man (apologies to them as is), so unlikely to invest in a book simply IOT find this out.  So, I would be most grateful if one of the L&Y cognoscenti could please post the answer.

From Ian Beattie's article and drawings in the "Railway Modeller", January 1984:

Leading and trailing wheels 3' 7¾”. Drivers 5' 8”. Between leading/trailing wheels and drivers 7' 10½”. Between drivers 8' 7”.

From Ian Beattie's article and drawings in the "Railway Modeller", January 1984:

Leading and trailing wheels 3' 7¾”. Drivers 5' 8”. Between leading/trailing wheels and drivers 7' 10½”. Between drivers 8' 7”.

Very many thanks, indeed.

Wirral Railway's loco livery was black lined with white, yellow and vermillion, coupling rods were either red or vermillion but all with black edging and vermillion lining; bufferbeams were vermillion with a black edge and the buffer casings were black.

The WR tank (L&Y 1041) seems to have stayed in L&Y livery, with the addition of the oval numberplate No6. it was bought by the WR in June 1921 so it wasn't around for very long before grouping.

• RMweb Premium

The WR tank (L&Y 1041) seems to have stayed in L&Y livery, with the addition of the oval numberplate No6. it was bought by the WR in June 1921 so it wasn't around for very long before grouping.

If that's the case, I would be interested in the L&Y version when released.

However I've bought postcard prints from Scaleforum at Wakefield about a year ago showing no.6 fitted with an extended bunker in Wirral days which tapered outwards at the top, which according to a side-on photo, remained intact when renumbered by the LMS as 6762 and was still present on the loco in 1950 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L%26YR_Class_5

• 4 weeks later...

Ever used to shunt around various Liverpool yards I wonder?

I don't think they were used for shunting in the freight context anyway; at least not in the 1950s when I saw them in the Liverpool Area as a teenage trainspotter.  The two based at Bank Hall Shed were used as the Station Pilots at Liverpool Exchange until replaced by two Ivatt 2MT 2-6-2Ts.  I think the one based at Southport was also used as the Chapel Street Pilot until scrapped.

In their early lives they were used on the Liverpool - Manchester passenger services and my 1958 Ian Allan ABC of British Railway Locomotives lists them as power classification 2P in 1958.

HTH,

Stan

• 2 weeks later...

I am pretty sure the builders plate was not on the smokebox side!

Well I have managed to find two pics of an LMS builders plate on the side of the smokebox, both early LMS days but none in BR condition -can anyone else find evidence of plates in this position in BR days?

Tony

Well I have managed to find two pics of an LMS builders plate on the side of the smokebox, both early LMS days but none in BR condition -can anyone else find evidence of plates in this position in BR days?

Tony

yes there is one in this thread, page 3 post 63, 50746 at Southport

I'll bet many modellers realize the L&Y 2-4-2T is something special and one they never expected to see in plastic RTR form. I suppose a builders plate is food for discussion but I have to smile..... :)

Edited by coachmann

• RMweb Premium

So the LMS version is in post war unlined black.

Its a shame Bachmann have gone for this variant rather than the more attractive lined LMS black passenger locos got pre WW2 (assuming the tank was rated as a passenger loco and thus entitled to it of course).

Hopefully in time this will be addressed, with the more colourful pre grouping liveries being popular a L&Y liveried or even an early LMS lined maroon liveried variant would surely go down well.

Yellow shaded red insignia dates from 1938 so that is the minimum LMS date for the livery carried by the Bachmann LYR 2-4-2T. Plain black was around before the war and there are numerous L&Y 2-4-2T engines listed in LMS Locomotive Liveries in the 1930s with type C (plain black) livery.  I hope this helps.

Very near a LNER ex NER  F8

and similar looking too !!

http://www.lner.info/locos/F/f8.shtml

thanks

Edited by micklner