Bachmann announce L&Y 2-4-2T

Andy Y

I figured as much Bill, after studying the instructions. I'd be interested in an EM version. I checked out the rest of the website last evening - all I can say is WOW! Amazing range of products and it all looks so tasty. I wasn't aware of this although I have used some of your products over the years.

Some of the chassis kits have "E" suffix - is this EM?

Cheers

John

• RMweb Premium

I must say I prefer the looks of Aspinall's engines in their round-top and saturated form. Whether superheating produced any real improvement in thermal efficiency or not, it did little for their (originally rather fine IMO) aesthetics. But then I don't really like a Urified T9 so what do I know.

i tend to model locos that lasted the longest, which is why i want to model 50850, and also i have plenty of shots of her.

i think ill renumber my Bachmann one to this one as this was another late survivor, withdrawn from Bank hall in 1961, and we have a few nice shots of her..

6319465240_1900694c46_b.jpg

Liverpool Exchange by Kerry Parker (KP), on Flickr

• Like 1

perhaps one of the kit makers could produce etches for the extended bunkers and other bits when the model comes out?

Okay, the extended bunker is an obvious option, but what "other" bits would you want? The belpaire firebox requires, I am informed, a new cab front. How much butchery are people willing to undertake. And at what point might they consider opting for a compete etched kit rather than replacing most of the plastic body?

I admit I would have a bit of a difficulty setting out to modify a plastic model much, but have no aversion to building an etched kit.

Jol

I had a quick scrute' on this and converting the round top Bachmann to a Belpaire version is really a no-no. The Belpaire boiler had a smokebox saddle for starters. I agree with Bill B, it is likely another variant will follow in due course seeing as it makes sense to maximise a models potential.

Below are the LYR 2P 2-4-2T and Belpaire 3P Radial tanks pasing Lees shed working the 'Delph Donkey' push & pull service. The carriages are both ex LNWR corridor stock.

post-6680-0-32482100-1333484109.jpgpost-6680-0-62502800-1333484112.jpg

Both photos by Jim Davenpost, collection of Brian Green.

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 2

I had a quick scrute' on this and converting the round top Bachmann to a Belpaire version is really a no-no. The Belpaire boiler had a smokebox saddle for starters. I agree with Bill B, it is likely another variant will follow in due course seeing as it makes sense to maximise a models potential.

Below are the LYR 2P 2-4-2T and Belpaire 3P Radial tanks pasing Lees shed working the 'Delph Donkey' push & pull service. The carriages are both ex LNWR corridor stock.

post-6680-0-32482100-1333484109.jpgpost-6680-0-62502800-1333484112.jpg

Both photos by Jim Davenpost, collection of Brian Green.

Larry,

I have been told the proposed Radial Tank will be a short bunker round top boiler version, i.e. the same as the preserved one.

As scanning of preserved locos seems to be the favoured technique for creating the data for producing RTR models that seems very likely. I wonder therefore how likely it is that Bachmann will do a long bunker or belpaire boiler version?

Jol

• RMweb Gold

would the two br 2-4-2t's be the same 50764 is a has built loco but 50795 is a loco which is a rebuilt/as-built but with smaller cylinders so would this make any difference to the model from the front dose any one know?

LYR Class 2P 2-4-2T 50850 leading a railtour up the 1-in-27 Werneth Incline with LYR A Class 0-6-0 52271 pushing....

post-6680-0-88686800-1333915468.jpg

Photo by Jim Davenport, courtesy Brian Green Collection.

EDIT : Note the leading LMS articulated pair plus an open second and an open brake second.

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 3

At Ramsbottom Model Railway Club, we did have a white metal kit version but over the years this loco has become unrepairable and we have tried a few over options but without sucess so for the time being we have a ivatt class 2, 2-6-2T which is prototypical as we use to have the L&Y Class 5 2-4-2T's with both Bury 26D and bacup 26E having them on shed they would of been seen alot running to Holcombe Brook, Rambottom and Stubbins.

50647_bacup_to_bury_push_pull__at_summerseat_4_august_1953.jpg

50829_with_long_bunker_built_1898_leaving_ramsbottom_for_bacup__sept_1953.jpg

lyrs_0608_-_aspinall_2-4-2t_no_1335_-_druitt-halpin_feedwater_heater_-_at_bacup_shed.jpg

Anyone brave enough? Bachmann lol :locomotive:

I hope to recreate the Ramsbottom scene

• Like 1