Bachmann announce L&Y 2-4-2T

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium

Yes, I am glad someone else has noticed the similarity between the L and Y 2-4-2T and the LNER ex NER F8.

The L and Y boiler dome is too tall for the F8, the smoke box front and the safety valve arrangement are different, and a Westinghouse pump would need to be added in front of the left hand tank. Alan Gibson provides the necessary parts.

I will be interested to see an article here from someone who does the conversion. I suspect similar work will also produce the LNER ex GER F5, which lasted to the 1950s (the last F8 went in the 1930s).

It looks as if relatively simple work will give us additional classes of LNER locomotives. Does anyone know whether the domes on Bachmann's locos can be removed fairly readily, or is that a difficult task?

John

post-27-0-54180400-1373116406_thumb.jpg

Seen from Platform 9 (Up side: No. 46762, a Lancashire & Yorkshire-type 2P 2-4-2T, was the sole survivor after electrification of the steam stock of the former Wirral Railway.29 July 1950

The copyright on this image is owned by Ben Brooksbank and is licensed for reuse under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 license

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

It looks as if relatively simple work will give us additional classes of LNER locomotives. Does anyone know whether the domes on Bachmann's locos can be removed fairly readily, or is that a difficult task?

John

After studying photos of the models, it looks to me like the dome is a separate part. So fairly easy to remove.

This has got to be the crack of the year!

Edited by coachmann

• RMweb Premium

Delighted to amuse coachman the other day with the " crack of the year", but that wasn't what I intended!

All I had in mind with my question about the ease or otherwise of removing Bachmann domes at post 127 is that to get an accurate LNER F8 the L and Y dome needs to be shortened, while the F5 dome is 'thinner' and needs to be moved forwards towards the chimney. As Nile says above, the dome looks as if it is a separate part. Making the necessary changes to the L and Y model will be easier if Bachmann's dome separates from the body with a bit of solvent, and even easier if there is pristine round boiler beneath the dome. The task will not be so simple if the dome has to be hacked and filed off, and if there is a gaping hole underneath.

I'm not in the habit of taking domes off Bachmann's boilers, but I am sure someone on here has. So my question is how simple is that task - just some solvent? or is it a hacking, filing and filling job?

John

• RMweb Premium

I'm not in the habit of taking domes off Bachmann's boilers, but I am sure someone on here has. So my question is how simple is that task - just some solvent? or is it a hacking, filing and filling job?

John

The dome on my LMS compound came off with very little effort, there seemed to be very little glue holding it in place.

The same applies to their chimneys.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest spet0114

According to Model Rail (and they have photo of it in the September issue), the NRM are bringing out a L&Y lined special edition version, but there's nothing on the NRM's website about it so far.

The NRM exclusives are now being organised from Locomotion. There's a page at the Locomotion models site that allows you to pre-register interest in a model of 1008.

http://www.locomotionmodels.com/potential-Bachmann-exclusives-2013.htm

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

According to Model Rail (and they have photo of it in the September issue), the NRM are bringing out a L&Y lined special edition version, but there's nothing on the NRM's website about it so far.

Friends of The NRm confirmed a couple of months back that L&Y 1008 would be produced this year.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks chaps. I don't much fancy using the Locomotion page though. It's not secure, and given the details they're asking for, it ought to be.

Many of us have used their website...without problems reported on this forum to date.Do you happen to be aware of any incident of fraudulent usage ? On what evidence are you making this claim ? Both payments I have recently made for items have been via a secure system.I am sure your allegation is well-meaning but it could easily be commercially damaging to the NRM,which relies on sales of specially-commissioned models,amongst other things,to survive.

It isn't an allegation. Unless I'm mistaken, they don't have any encryption on their 'expression of interest' page, which needs pointing out to them:

http://www.locomotionmodels.com/potential-Bachmann-exclusives-2013.htm

If I'm going to send all my personal details over the internet to a retailer, I expect the website to be secure, ie to have the padlock symbol, with a link to their valid, current security certfiicate. That page doesn't appear to have, so it's not getting my details until it's sorted out.

Edited by Osimabu

Thank you. I've no issue with their payment page.

I've also bought models from the NRM site on several occasions and had no problems or concerns, but the specific page on the Locomotion site that two of us have linked to has no security at present, and it should have as it asks for personal details.

The photos in Model Rail indicate that this will be a lovely model, well up to the best standards of recent RTR offerings.  Unfortunately, while the photos show lots of rivet detail on the cab roof and footplate on both the BR and as preserved versions, there don't appear to be any signs of the rivets on the bunker sides and back as shown in post 28 on page 2 of this thread.  Admittedly, these rivets seem to have been added later in the lives of (some of?) these locos but they were very distinctive.

If anyone at Bachmann is reading this, I hope they will consider adding the rivets to some versions that may be released.

Stan

Edited by Stanley Melrose

The photos in BRM indicate that this will be a lovely model, well up to the best standards of recent RTR offerings.  Unfortunately, while the photos show lots of rivet detail on the cab roof and footplate on both the BR and as preserved versions, there don't appear to be any signs of the rivets on the bunker sides and back as shown in post 28 on page 2 of this thread.  Admittedly, these rivets seem to have been added later in the lives of (some of?) these locos but they were very distinctive.

If anyone at Bachmann is reading this, I hope they will consider adding the rivets to some versions that may be released.

Stan

Stan,

putting rivets on an RTR model would require modifying the mould tool, which couldn't be reversed. If the body moulding is modular and the bunker is a separate item (it doesn't look like it is), then an additional tool could be produced, but Bachmann might not consider it worthwhile. They haven't announced a long bunker or Belpaire firebox version, so perhaps they believe that they can satisfy demand with various livery versions. That's clearly the most profitable route.

You could add the rivets using transfers such as those made by Archers http://www.archertransfers.com/AR88001.html That might require a repaint as well, so may not be a popular option for many buyers. 

Jol

Thank you. I've no issue with their payment page.

I've also bought models from the NRM site on several occasions and had no problems or concerns, but the specific page on the Locomotion site that two of us have linked to has no security at present, and it should have as it asks for personal details.

I have now been advised that the data submitted on the contact page is submitted to a secure location so although you may not see a https page any vulnerabilities would be local.

The fact that we are to get a plastic RTR Lancashire & Yorkshire 2-4-2T is quite amazing in itself. This loco is a gamble and if it turns out to sell like the proverbial hot cakes then I am sure Bachmann will be looking to produce another variant. In this regard sales must have to be pretty high as it is worth noting that apart from a GWR variant, the GCR/LNER 04 2-8-0 has not been expanded on into more LNER/BR variants as yet.

I have now been advised that the data submitted on the contact page is submitted to a secure location so although you may not see a https page any vulnerabilities would be local.

That's excellent, thank you for clarifying it.

Okay wallet, stand by for action!

Email from Hatton's suggests that the L&Y 2-4-2 will be available Nov-Dec.............this year that is!

http://www.ehattons.com/StockDetail.aspx?SID=52539&utm_source=ItemDeliveryDateUpdated&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=31-165

Our latest information from the supplier suggests this item will arrive with us between December 2013 & January 2014

I've previously only had these notifications regarding Hornby products, hope I don't get as many as I have had for Duchess of Abercorn.