Bachmann announce new wagons

Andy Y

The idea originally floated (that this is a new body for the existing 10ft wb chassis) didnt really fly, as all the early fish vans had wooden underframes. Et voila :sungum: :

http://www.Bachmann....=650&height=396

This you mean http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/lnercoveredmerchandise/e232b3569 Not that Merl Evans will acknowledge origin!

Paul Bartlett

It appears from this image on bachmanns website that it is the 12ft wheel base fish van variant, if you can read the small print on the bodyside.

http://www.Bachmann....=650&height=385

I'd say that's too indistinct to read for certain; anyway, neither the van's proportions nor its numbering fit with it being that variant. It'll be an early 10ft wb one, as per Mr Bartlett's link above.

This you mean http://PaulBartlett....ndise/e232b3569 Not that Merl Evans will acknowledge origin!

Paul Bartlett

Nor that it's a slighty modded Parkside PC61 kit (again) they've used for that pre prod. shot. Let hope that they get the number of planks on the left hand panel correct this time. ;)

Porcy

I'd say that's too indistinct to read for certain; anyway, neither the van's proportions nor its numbering fit with it being that variant. It'll be an early 10ft wb one, as per Mr Bartlett's link above.

Close look in the Bachmann's catalogue show's it's a 10 footer.

The two photos I've seen so far of the LNER & BR Fish van seem to show that Bachmann have altered the axle boxes to the correct LNER type rather than the split type that appeared on their previous LNER vans and wagons

Geoff Hodson

The two photos I've seen so far of the LNER & BR Fish van seem to show that Bachmann have altered the axle boxes to the correct LNER type rather than the split type that appeared on their previous LNER vans and wagons

Actually Geoff, I'd suggest they've not 'altered' anything as such - as Porcy has already suggested, the images are likely to be of a modified kit (the axleguards are also of pre-BR pattern, FWIW), and in any case the solebars are timber not steel, so it looks like it'll be a new chassis albeit probably sharing some of the development work done on the brakegear.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Bachmann, presumably. No doubt they'll release more details in due course.

Heres a photo of the model Bachmann are going to model and very nice it looks too.Would these have ventured onto Western metals at all ?

http://www.ehattons.com/52639/Bachmann_UK_39_525_Southern_PLV_Passenger_Luggage_Van_Southern_Railway_Green/StockDetail.aspx

As an aside these will be the same price as the recent Hornby siphon g.Baffling. :scratchhead:

Heres a photo of the model Bachmann are going to model and very nice it looks too.

http://www.ehattons....tockDetail.aspx

I'd be wary of reading too much into that as yet Rob, simply because it's the same pic as on Bachmann's own site and it may just have been chosen to depict a 'generic' utility van. Bachmann's own site also says: Differing body styles to create authentic PLV, PMV and CCT variants; there are all sorts of build variations encompassing even planking, uneven planking and plywood sheeting.

Would these have ventured onto Western metals at all ?

In BR days, yes; no idea about pre-'48

Interesting that Bachmann keep describing it as a 'Midland' brake van- Are they actually doing the earlier MR builds of this family of brake van (D1240/D1658?)

AFAIK the early LMS Brake Vans were built to Midland designs (sans duckets) so it would be a simple paint job to do a late Midland version.

I Bachmann's own site also says: Differing body styles to create authentic PLV, PMV and CCT variants; there are all sorts of build variations encompassing even planking, uneven planking and plywood sheeting.

This is a pretty good rundown on these vans, courtesy of The Snapper on Western Thunder (not sure where it's originally from):

http://www.jthjth.plus.com/freight/SRCCT.pdf

The build variations could do with bullet pointing IMHO, but the info is all there.

• 7 months later...

Geoff Hodson

Can't wait to get one of those fish vans. Think it will look the part inbetween Fairburn tank and a rake of Thompson non corridors.

• 3 months later...

Any word on the Bachmann SR PMV/PLV yet? Not that I really need another. I have 3 versions now going back to the K's kit. Some Parkside Dundas versions as yet unbuilt in the drawer. And etched bars for the windows waiting to be installed.

Hmm that photo looks familiar.... :no: . Yes the Metalair cement PCA has been on my wish list for a long time as well and will finally be able to mix my Lima vee tankers in with them now to make the rakes more realistic.

Cheers Paul

I agree...  I have a number of the Hornby Vee tankers that I have started converting over to Kadee couplers.  Did these wagons run in the mid-1980's?

I am assuming they did, but Bachmann have them listed as era 9.

Thanks in advance!

The Metalair cement PCAs were introduced around 1984 I think (of the top of me head no books to hand to confirm) so you can mix them in with Hornby or Lima vee tanks. Only difference would be the OHLE warning flashes being the old style white with red flash as opposed to the current HSE style yellow and black warning diamond type. I can't just think of any other major livery changes off hand.

Cheers Paul

• RMweb Premium

I do think it odd, that Bachmann intend to do the GWR shunters truck. You woud have hoped they could have switched it to a Toad brake van instead, when Hornby announced theirs.... I guess that means it will appear very soon and it was too far into production to cancel it.

Hopefully a modern Toad soon! In the meantime, I wonder which shunter will rise to the top.....

The Metalair cement PCAs were introduced around 1984 I think (of the top of me head no books to hand to confirm) so you can mix them in with Hornby or Lima vee tanks. Only difference would be the OHLE warning flashes being the old style white with red flash as opposed to the current HSE style yellow and black warning diamond type. I can't just think of any other major livery changes off hand.

Cheers Paul

Cheers Paul

Photos of their early years http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/bccmetalair

Paul Bartlett

Hi Paul

Many thanks for the info!

Cheers Paul

• RMweb Gold

Hopefully a modern Toad soon! In the meantime, I wonder which shunter will rise to the top.....

I will be surprised if Bachmanns version is'nt better but I agree a new toad would be much better.Lets vote for one in the poll.

I will be surprised if Bachmanns version is'nt better but I agree a new toad would be much better.Lets vote for one in the poll.

I suspect the shunter's trucks will be a dead heat - although an engineering department black livery might make up a lot of minds around here.

Yes, a new toad would be nice - but something really distinctive - like a lit tail light - would be nice to really differentiate it from the existing Bachmann one.

I'd rather have a better variety of stock, something that has never, or very rarely been available in 00 RTR - Mica, Bloater, tool van, etc. But forgive me, I already said as much here.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Bachmann now have livery samples on their fish vans with both both Eastern and BR variants.

http://www.Bachmann.co.uk/

http://www.Bachmann.co.uk/details.php?id=136&vis=2

Looking closely at the captions I notice that Bachmann have the product numbers the wrong van.ie the NE version should be 38-575.

• 2 weeks later...

Having finally got to looking at the Fish livery samples and accompanying text, 'someone' should tell Bachmann that they are complementary to all East Coast main line express power. I'd bet they averaged far more mileage behind faster locos than 0-6-0 types, as they were hurried from landing port to wholesale market destinations.

• RMweb Premium

I'm intrigued that Bachmann have tooled up "a new wood type chassis" for the fish vans, as stated in their 'latest news' item. Presumably this wil be used for other vans in due course (I'd have thought it unlikely they are being tooled up just for fish vans). Any one any ideas what other vans might use this new chassis?

John

Feel a little leafing through Mr Tatlow's work coming on when the books are to hand. A wooden 10' wheelbase underframe would also suit - at a guess - examples of the BananaVanana, AV fitted and unfitted 6 plank general merchandise open, lowfit and possibly conflat. The 10' wheelbase AVB general merchandise vans were steel underframe on introduction (i.e. as the change was made from 9' wb), but as ever there may have been exceptions. The general move to steel underframe following the increase in the standard wagon wb to 10' probably means the 10' wooden underframe was a relatively small proportion of their fleet.

Archived