Bachmann announce new wagons

Andy Y

Branchline OO scale wagons and vans

set to roll into service

Bachmann Branchline has today announced further OO scale wagons and vans which will enter service over the next 18 months.

These are;

• Midland 20Ton short wheelbase brake van with and without duckets

• LNER 10Ton Fish Van

• PCA Metalair dry powder tank wagons

• SR 4 wheel PLV / PMV / CCT 10Ton utility van

• A new A type container for use with conflate wagons

This is new tooling featuring wagons and vans that have not previously been part of the Bachmann Branchline range.

Of course! Immediately my ducket and non-ducket Parkside 20T Midland brakes reach the paintshop.... Classic Waverley Engineers' train attendants, these bad boys; great choice of a subtle-looking prototype - I hope these do well.

Fish vans, fantastic and very welcome, and my superannuated ex-SR vans can at last be retired - these two types now pretty much nail Class 2 tail-traffic! EDIT: The more I think about how this announcement gifts Waverlites sixties tail-traffic in one go, the frothier everything seems. Flippin' great!

Conflat A container "who but a committed Waverlite could get so excited over a simple container," plain brown, plentiful and nondescript shall be the way.

I can't remember how many years I have voted for a straight top PCA wagon in the wish list polls, and now my wish has come true :O As you say Southernman the under frame has a lot of potential, so I must start my research on them now.

John

Does anyone know which version of the LNER 10t Fish Vans they are doing yet? It would be great if they were doing the early LNER outside framed fish vans. I am certainly looking forward to seeing more details on the upcoming wagons this year.

Branchline OO scale wagons and vans

set to roll into service

Bachmann Branchline has today announced further OO scale wagons and vans which will enter service over the next 18 months.

These are;

• Midland 20Ton short wheelbase brake van with and without duckets

• LNER 10Ton Fish Van

• PCA Metalair dry powder tank wagons

• SR 4 wheel PLV / PMV / CCT 10Ton utility van

• A new A type container for use with conflate wagons

This is new tooling featuring wagons and vans that have not previously been part of the Bachmann Branchline range.

Probably a typo somewhere, but according to the Bachmann website it's a 12T fish van they're doing. [i'm only pointing this out as it probably changes the type we're talking about].

Jeremy

Guest Belgian

Can anyone elucidate the announcement that Bachmann will be producing a 'Midland' 20T brake van: is it a Midland Railway one and, if so, is it a 6-wheeler? Or is it an LMS one?

JE

Can anyone elucidate the announcement that Bachmann will be producing a 'Midland' 20T brake van: is it a Midland Railway one and, if so, is it a 6-wheeler? Or is it an LMS one?

I think the smart money is on the D1657/1659, as marketed by Parkside - LMS build but essentially Midland designs.

Guest Belgian

Has anyone any details as to what the 'SR 4 wheel PLV / PMV / CCT 10Ton utility van' is? This description covers two designs and one odd one.The Southern had a vast number of 12/13 ton 4-wheel luggage vans with variations of construction but the only 10 tonners were the ten 'odd' ones, plastic-bodied 10 ton luggage vans to a Bulleid design (diagram 3105) during the War, so are these the ones? I hope not. However, it's more than likely that Bachmann are referring to the 'Distributed Load' capacity of the 12/13 tonners as that was 10 tons. It would be nice to know which version is to come, and I suspect it will be diagram 3103, which was built with even plank, 2+2 plank and plywood variations and was known as a Luggage Van to the Southern and as a PMV to BR (and as a PLV on the Isle of Wight!). Curiously, there was a variant, the 'Covcar' (diagram 3101), which became a CCT and had end doors (it had started life as a 'General Utility Van' or GUV!). The standard PLV/PMV had fixed ends. Maybe we'll get both CCTs and PMVs in time. No doubt we will be told in due course!

JE

PCA Metallair - these

post-5198-0-44989100-1331637391_thumb.jpg

Splendid! and the u/frame has a whole host of potential too

Hmm that photo looks familiar.... :no: . Yes the Metalair cement PCA has been on my wish list for a long time as well and will finally be able to mix my Lima vee tankers in with them now to make the rakes more realistic.

Cheers Paul

• RMweb Gold

Is there a link anywhere to where all the years Bachmann wagons are including any new POW liveries etc.

This takes you to the 'wagons' page on the website Rob - just scroll down and look carefully for 'new' on the left hand side

ttp://www.Bachmann.co.uk/prod1.php?prod_selected=branchline&prod=5

I notice that on the Bachmann Website the 12T Fish vans are described as being in LNER Oxide or BR Bauxite early/late livery so it appears they're not the well known 'Blue Spot' type.

Jeremy

I'd suspect they'd be the type with a 10' wheel-base and vacuum brakes, similar in appearance to the existing LNER vans. There was another type, with a 12' wheelbase, which was built with an uninsulated body, but rebuilt in BR days to resemble a shorter Insulfish.

Has anyone any details as to what the 'SR 4 wheel PLV / PMV / CCT 10Ton utility van' is? This description covers two designs and one odd one.The Southern had a vast number of 12/13 ton 4-wheel luggage vans with variations of construction but the only 10 tonners were the ten 'odd' ones, plastic-bodied 10 ton luggage vans to a Bulleid design (diagram 3105) during the War, so are these the ones? I hope not. However, it's more than likely that Bachmann are referring to the 'Distributed Load' capacity of the 12/13 tonners as that was 10 tons. It would be nice to know which version is to come, and I suspect it will be diagram 3103, which was built with even plank, 2+2 plank and plywood variations and was known as a Luggage Van to the Southern and as a PMV to BR (and as a PLV on the Isle of Wight!). Curiously, there was a variant, the 'Covcar' (diagram 3101), which became a CCT and had end doors (it had started life as a 'General Utility Van' or GUV!). The standard PLV/PMV had fixed ends. Maybe we'll get both CCTs and PMVs in time. No doubt we will be told in due course! JE

So does anyone know if the Bachmann PLV / PMV / CCT be a different one to the Wrenn / Dapol CCT?

I'd suspect they'd be the type with a 10' wheel-base and vacuum brakes, similar in appearance to the existing LNER vans. There was another type, with a 12' wheelbase, which was built with an uninsulated body, but rebuilt in BR days to resemble a shorter Insulfish.

The photos posted on Facebook seem to show exactly that - a brown van looking very much like an ordinary ventilated van (and no recessed doors)

My Parkside Blue Spot is really a bit big for the boxfile, so the possibility of buying this and repainting the Parkside kit railblue as a parcels SPV for a DMU to tow on Blacklade may need considering

• RMweb Gold

Just a heads up to say the triple pack of the weathered pows have been released.These are the Northern liveries and I'm hoping Bachmann do other areas in due course.They look good to me.

http://www.ehattons.com/42786/Bachmann_UK_37_095_Coal_Trader_Triple_pack_7_plank_private_owner_wagons_weathered/StockDetail.aspx

• RMweb Gold

Just a heads up to say the triple pack of the weathered pows have been released.These are the Northern liveries and I'm hoping Bachmann do other areas in due course.They look good to me.

http://www.ehattons....tockDetail.aspx

Despite the northern liveriers, would there be much of a chance of such wagons ending up in the south despite their northern origins in the post war common user period?

Despite the northern liveriers, would there be much of a chance of such wagons ending up in the south despite their northern origins in the post war common user period?

Yes, I don't believe there was ever any effort to get them back to their owners. I do accept Dave Larkin who has been studying the P fleet for decades has published that he doesn't know what happened from 1945-48. However a number of photos I have by Casserley taken at Berkhamsted (his local yard) in 1947 literally include wagons from all parts of Britain - Niddrie (with Scottish cupboard doors), St. Austell, several from the main South Wales collieries, Manchester Ship Canal and other Midlands companies. So, completely mixed up by post war. And P renumbering took quite a long time, not starting until Sept 1949 and probably extending until the mid 1950s, so quite suitable for the early BR period - and not too difficult to add P numbers - which of course being newly applied would be 'bright' in contrast to the worn remainder of the Private Trader livery.

Paul Bartlett

The idea originally floated (that this is a new body for the existing 10ft wb chassis) didnt really fly, as all the early fish vans had wooden underframes. Et voila :sungum: :

http://www.Bachmann.co.uk/image_box.php?image=images1/branchline/38-575.jpg&cat_no=38-575&info=0&width=650&height=396

• RMweb Gold

Yes, I don't believe there was ever any effort to get them back to their owners. I do accept Dave Larkin who has been studying the P fleet for decades has published that he doesn't know what happened from 1945-48. However a number of photos I have by Casserley taken at Berkhamsted (his local yard) in 1947 literally include wagons from all parts of Britain - Niddrie (with Scottish cupboard doors), St. Austell, several from the main South Wales collieries, Manchester Ship Canal and other Midlands companies. So, completely mixed up by post war. And P renumbering took quite a long time, not starting until Sept 1949 and probably extending until the mid 1950s, so quite suitable for the early BR period - and not too difficult to add P numbers - which of course being newly applied would be 'bright' in contrast to the worn remainder of the Private Trader livery.

Paul Bartlett

Fantastic, In that case I will get a set ordered when I get paid

I think the smart money is on the D1657/1659, as marketed by Parkside - LMS build but essentially Midland designs.

Only a prototype picture on the Bachmann site so far, but comparing it to the Essery 'LMS wagons' books, it definitely seems to the the D1656/1657/1659 family

http://www.Bachmann.co.uk/image_box.php?image=images1/branchline/38-552.jpg&cat_no=38-552&info=0&width=646&height=540

Just trying to get my head around the variations, Bachmann are offering 38-550 BR Grey (duckets), 38-551 BR Grey (without duckets), 38-552 LMS Grey (duckets- as pic), 38-553 LMS Bauxite (without duckets)

All of the pics in the Essery book show D1656 with recessed vertical planking in the verandah ends, duckets and vacuum brakes, D1657 with flush-planked ends, and duckets (and occasionally without duckets), D1659 with recessed ends and no duckets.

The van in Bachmann's prototype pic has vac pipes and recessed ends, so looks like it might be D1656?

Could we be getting both 'recessed' and 'flush-planked' ends, and maybe fitted and unfitted versions, as well as the 'with/without ducket's variations?

Interesting that Bachmann keep describing it as a 'Midland' brake van- Are they actually doing the earlier MR builds of this family of brake van (D1240/D1658?)

Archived