Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

• RMweb Premium

Morning Rob.

I won't reply to the 8F comment as there are some die-hard fans on here! As for Brits, well they are difficult to find new here at the mo - even the £200+ sound fitted Clive of India is difficult to chase down.

Your tongue-in-cheek remark about the track and ballast sums up my situation at the moment. I like to run my locos so there's no point buying any more until I have somewhere to do that. So a purchase is more likely to include PVA and solder than anything pretty at the moment.

A bit more track laying this morning, then I MUST get the fiddle yard wiring sorted. I've done a bit, but more needs to be done.

Jeff

COFFEE, COFFEE, whats this thing with you and coffee, I thought you NORTHERNERS only ate pies and drank pints of Stout, :no:

As for 8F's well I think they are wonderfull, especially with a HOWES SOUND CHIP FITTED and rolling across our clubs 8ft long viaduct with some 30 or so vans behind it. BLISS, SHEER BLISS, but maybe I am biased. :no:

Anyway must go now and get NGAGED in some work in the Den :O , only teasing :sungum: , not started that project yet, :nono: I have to finish the flight deck on Trebudoc first and then I can set it up and do a propper test before I crack on with scenics.

It is our clubs Mince Pie weekend on Sat and Sunday so I will be up there tonight and all over the weekend with Glen Roy and so when I come back and have a look on Monday I guess you will be on page 100, I will have a lot of reading to catch up on.

All the best, Andy.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Thursday is Conf Call day for me, two of which I am pretty active on.

I don't like Thursdays

Oh hell, you don't have to do that as well, do you? One of my close friends works for a drug company and is always "in conference" with people from around the world. Even if her house was on fire and you were banging at the door she'd still be glued to her PC!

Jason, as a fellow northerner, you should back me up and tell Andy we don't only drink stout and eat pies. That's just breakfast! :O

Your work on Bacup's looking great - the chimney blends in nicely now.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

I should add Jeff, that I have not been completely inactive. The thing about conference calls is that people waffle on for a long old time and as long as you fine-tune your ear to pick out the important bits, you can get on with other stuff.

Other stuff today has been scribing the section of pavement that will go under the road bridge - one side only. As the bridge is long and a tad dark, I thought I'd add a railing in. It's a bit low really (knee height?) but I bought the 'kit' and might as well use it. The uprights will be painted white so that traffic can see them (and the edge).

The man doing 'the robot' is HO scale (one of Hornby's undersized attempts), placed on the incomplete pavement under the incomplete bridge.

Not as interesting as tracklaying, but you try doing that whilst chairing a conference call of 50 people :D

Barrier001.jpg

Barrier.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Hi Andy,

As someone pointed out the other day - once KL gets back to business, the number of posts will decrease - and that's what has happened.

Glad to hear you are N-gauging your brain while working on the cockpit control panel. Wasn't Concorde... er, was it for a bi-plane!

I took one look at the jungle of droppers under the fiddle yard and thought "I must get this sorted". So, armed with gallons of fresh-brewed coffee, that's what I've started doing. I think yesterday's PVA has just about set!

Almost time for Michael to post in and reveal how many fingers he's sawn off today!

Enjoy your pies and Derbyshire hospitality. Btw, 8 foot club viaduct - get a couple of photos...let's have a look!!

Cheers,

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

I'm afraid I won't be able to back you up there, I drink lager (although never with lime or lemonade in)

Fair enough. Must admit I'm a white wine person, though partial to a drop or two of Guinness.

That fencing is very good. Especially effective with the scribe pavements, which you seem to have perfected to a fine art. What plastikard is it - 40 or 60 thou? And what scribing tool do you use? I think the gent needs to change his trousers, though!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

It's 40 thou because I have run out of 50 and it's only going under the bridge (and will mostly be out of sight). I mark it up with a craft knife (gives me a groove) and then use the edge of a small steel rule of all things. I tried a few methods and tools but this one works best (for me).

• RMweb Premium

:nono:

Now don't YOU start! What do they drink in Crewe and the Fens, Dave? Something conducive to a quick wit and intellect, no doubt!

Btw, the thread has woken up - after I said it was quiet!

Jeff

• Like 1

Hi Jeff

I must agree with you there. Yon Andy P is a bad lad. Personally I drink tea with mine. (Beef & Stout pies of course!).

Jason:

Have a look at scraperboard tools for scribing (plasticard and Daz). They come in different shapes and work by cutting a groove in the material without leaving any burrs,etc to clean up. Style 1 & 2 for scribing lines with Style 3, 4 and 5 for texturing.

Edited by Mythocentric

Almost time for Michael to post in and reveal how many fingers he's sawn off today!

None!!!!

I haven't quite managed to pluck up the courage to pick up the saw yet... :scratchhead:

I like Jason's approach to conference calls - don't think I could get away with it though - I have to do all mine at the office. Having said that, seeing as on Tuesday I managed to eradicate a few days work with a single misplaced mouse click, perhaps I should do modeling instead...

Now you've got the fiddle yard connected Jeff, does that mean the tunnel entrance will be appearing shortly? Early home tonight, so I'll get something done...

I've just got in from work, and it's 11C upstairs... daren't go and check what it is downstairs. I wonder what's happened to the heating system - it must be time for it's annual upgrade...

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff

I must agree with you there. Yon Andy P is a bad lad. Personally I drink tea with mine. (Beef & Stout pies of course!).

Jason:

Have a look at scraperboard tools for scribing (plasticard and Daz). They come in different shapes and work by cutting a groove in the material without leaving any burrs,etc to clean up. Style 1 & 2 for scribing lines with Style 3, 4 and 5 for texturing.

Bill - where do you get these tools? Do you have a preferred online supplier?

Edited by Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

None!!!!

Now you've got the fiddle yard connected Jeff, does that mean the tunnel entrance will be appearing shortly? Early home tonight, so I'll get something done...

I've just got in from work, and it's 11C upstairs... daren't go and check what it is downstairs. I wonder what's happened to the heating system - it must be time for it's annual upgrade...

Since it's a little cool outside, I thought I might start the tunnel mouth on Saturday. Tomorrow is reserved for a few hours under the board getting the wiring sorted and testing the DC control of the Cobalts.

Jeff

Hi Jeff

I buy mine from The Art Studio in Lancaster, but they are usually available from most art or craft shops. You can even find them in the pound-shop sort of place as part of those foilboard-art sets (a good way to experiment first before you splash out). There are craft websites who sell them but I don't recall the addresses because I try to support local shops when I can (and if possible!). They cost around £7-8 for a set (multiple tips). You don't need to buy holders, I just tape mine to the end of a pencil!

Bill

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff

I buy mine from The Art Studio in Lancaster, but they are usually available from most art or craft shops. You can even find them in the pound-shop sort of place as part of those foilboard-art sets (a good way to experiment first before you splash out). There are craft websites who sell them but I don't recall the addresses because I try to support local shops when I can (and if possible!). They cost around £7-8 for a set (multiple tips). You don't need to buy holders, I just tape mine to the end of a pencil!

Bill

Thanks Bill. I've used the Shesto website for other stuff and I'll have a look in the craft shop. I like the idea of scribing, but have resorted to blunt-ended screwdrivers in the past!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

In the spirit of showing "daily progress", here are 2 photos from today.

The first is the current fiddle yard - awaiting the entry of the branch line from lower right. This will be melded into the yard after Christmas - since it involves buying some more turnouts and I'm having a December "spend freeze"...

post-13778-0-30028100-1354820679_thumb.jpg

The next photo shows the scale of tomorrow's work. Droppers everywhere! It's actually very simple to sort, just awkward sitting cramped under the board, wiring for a few hours...

post-13778-0-95262200-1354820763_thumb.jpg

Then it's into the kitchen on Saturday to start the first tunnel mouth.

Jeff

• Like 9

Tunnel mouths are a fine thing, but after seeing your track, I had to show this of mine, just washed with about 50/50 water and black brownish housepaint testpot and assorted Humbrol.

Also I have dicovered a spare 4' x 8" board which I can use for camera shots from track level or slightly below.

Might paint the track rust brown, except maybe two lengths for shed photos. Still no sign of B17 or 9Fs but might do a Standard Class 5 shed scene later today. The two initial wide-sleeper 'experiments' are off to the right, sidings maybe...

Very windy here. .

post-7929-0-91700800-1354825719.jpg

post-7929-0-62963200-1354825750.jpg

Rob

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Now don't YOU start! What do they drink in Crewe and the Fens, Dave? Something conducive to a quick wit and intellect, no doubt!

Btw, the thread has woken up - after I said it was quiet!

Jeff

My favourite tipples are Porters and Stouts, in fact the darker the beer the better for me - some good ones round here, but don't ask me to remember their names. Hic!

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

You've done a nice job there Rob. I think rusting one of the sets of rails for your photos is a good idea.

Maybe you could build a small diorama with rail emerging from a tunnel, or with the loco being loaded with water/coal at a coaling stage (commercially available), in addition to your shed scenario. A Pacific over a viaduct - now where've I seen that before? If it wasn't so large, and you weren't so far away, I'd send you my spare branch viaduct for the job!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Oh, the joys of the railway modelling bug! 4 hours on from my earlier comments and I've had a change of plan. The logic goes like this... (if you can call it logic!)...

Proceed as planned with tidying-up the wiring and start the tunnel mouth for the viaduct-fiddle yard entrance.... yes, ok.

Now, if I've built a tunnel mouth I really should start to plan the hillside at the viaduct end, into which it fits ... yes, that figures.

So - to do that, I need to know where the hillside is going to sit, so I know where to build the framework... erm, that makes sense...

Therefore, I need to ensure that all the fiddle yard/branch trackwork is in place before the frame can be finalised - YES.

Consequently, I need to get the remaining track in the near future..... yep....

OK, I'll order it next week! Phew, that's a relief. Thought I'd be suffering from PVA and non-turnoutitis syndrome through lack of tracklaying!

So - you guessed it - (another) order to Marcway around the 10th of the month. A Christmas present to myself!

Jeff

• Like 2

Quote: I'm having a December "spend freeze"...

Oops! I was having one of them then I walked into The Train Shop for a couple of sheets of plasticard to find Richard unpacking his new deliveries. Came out with another G2A and a rake of Thompson suburban's. Probably explains why the only New Year Resolution I've ever kept is don't make New Year Resolutions! :)

Edited by Mythocentric
  • Like 3